Gonna Need Tires Soon.....Any Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently running Goodyear MTR's (older discontinued style), in a 315 size. My 80 is my daily driver, so I am trying to balance my needs for a good DD tire, that is good for the trail, and expedition style trips.

I am going to stay with the 315 size (I am re-geared with 4.88's). I also plan on going with an "E" rated tire since I plan on loading up the Cruiser for expedition style trips. I would say the majority of the trails and trips would be around here, but we will be venturing out on longer trips as well. I don't really need anything for snow, as its not likely I will be getting the wife to go camping if its snowing out.

On more note, I do like the Goodyear MTR's for being able to air down low, and drive/grip well while aired down. I probably would get them again if they still made them based on that. But I am open to staying with MT's or moving to AT's.

I would love to know what everyone is running or would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

I think BFG AT's are pretty good, that's what I have right now. The have about 40k miles on them, and they're still running strong. I'm eyeing the KM2's, but I don't have any prior experience with them.

I ran a pair a KM2s I got from VCCruzr, well abused and put up with my towing and wheeling. I have no idea how many miles they had on them when I got rid of them but I know I put about 15k on them with no signs of wear. I recently purchased some Cooper STTs as the price was right. I recently towed a tandem axle dump trailer at well over our rated 5k towing capacity and the tires felt great.

I also have run Duratracs and have this to say about them;

1. They wore great. I had 25k on them and they still looked new.

2. Traction was fantastic, no issues in mud or snow.

3. They felt a squirrelly on the freeway. The sidewalls do say 3ply on the "E" rated version, however they didn't feel stiff at all, so cornering and towing was an issue. On my buddies 4Runner they're great. I think the 80 is just too heavy for them.

I'm currently running the KM2's in a smaller size. I like them, they wear good and are not noisy... Probably have about 15k on them and still have a good 55-60% tread left on them.
If I was running that size tire I'd go KM2 or the Hankook DynaPro MT RT03

1592_dynapro_mt_rt03.jpg

DYNAPRO MT RT03

I had KM2s on my last cruiser (37s) and again on my current one (285s). I can't say enough good things about them.

I've been running the GY Duratrac E rated 285's for about a year and really like them. I have not experienced the squirrlliness that some others have but I run pretty light with no seats in the rear, one drawer and do not pull a trailer.

This past winter these tires amazed me in the snow with the traction they delivered and on the trail they have performed great in sand, mud and rocks.

Just finished a 2182 mile journey to CO then back to Moab on KM2's. They were fine on all the serious offroad and slickrock of Moab and were just fine with their road manners on the highway too. Ran Revo's before these and I really liked those for a good combo street/offroad tire. Not that the KM2's are noisy, but more so than the Revos were. Comparing a MT type tire to an AT type tire tho.

Toyo Open Country MT hands down. It's 50k tire with an aggressive tread pattern.... Not to mention I have a set of 5 in my garage that is calling your name.... "ADAM... come wheel me!" FYI - there is only 1200-1500 miles on em.

I have had the BFG AT and now am running the KM2. I kinda wish I would have stuck with the AT as they were wearing great and are a very capable tire. Since it is your daily I say an all terrain.

BFG all-terrain. We are running 5 sets now ,no problems,good in the mud and dont whine. Mike

I had BFG ATs on my last rig and swear I would never buy them again. They were impossible to balance, they never stayed balanced and the rubber was very hard until it warmed up. Maybe I got a bad batch, who knows.

They were quiet and performed fairly well off road, even though some of the trails I walked through with the MTs were more challenging with the ATs.

I am happy with my Firestone MTs, but they are loud. If I had to do it over, I would strongly consider the KM2 or Duratracs.

Last edited:
I have Toyo Open Country M/T currently. They are great. I have ran BFG AT and Nitto Terra Grapplers in the past. Both AT tires and prefer the BFG over the Nitto for the AT. Toyo is my first M/T and so far so good.

We have the same set on our truck since 2007, they've worked great and worn normally.

Yes i said 2007 :D

I have you beat, I have been rolling on my Cooper Discoverer's STT's Mud Terrains since November 06'!

But Cooper does make an AT version as well that may be more expedition friendly.

I've been on my Revo's since then too. 62K on em now.

they're great. 2 nails in one, one nail in the other rear, sidewalls all gashed to hell and they still do great.

..i'm looking at the Coopers STT and Toyo MT's now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom