Gonna need a new set of pistons...but where do I look? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '85 FJ60 2F engine needs a new set. The mechanic has given me two choices.... (1) remove/replace cylinder sleeves and revert to standard bore. Or (2) overbore existing sleeves to .040. Either way I'm going to need new pistons. I want to do some checking on my own but when I do the usual google "FJ60 2F engine new pistons" type of search I just see pistons in general, nothing that specifically states "for a 2F engine". Can anyone lead me in the right direction? And how will I know that the pistons I am looking at on a particular web page are designed for this particular motor?
Thanks for your input....I'm not a mechanic, so be gentle!

I had to have my block overbored. I went w/ ITM from Rockauto, they come w/ rings. They’re pretty...
I’m sorry, your cylinders have sleeves in them or you mean the existing bore?

B505ADEA-51C2-432C-96D5-C260E9C870A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Engine was overhauled many moons ago....so I'm not sure why sleeves where installed. Alls I know is that they are there. Perhaps there was some damage to the cylinders themselves so sleeves had to be installed way back when? Current bore is .020 over. I am on a leaning curve here so today I will ask the shop about this. Thanks for the reference from RockAuto. Now I want to get the bottom of this sleeve thing!

where are you located? Getting a used engine might be a better option.

High in the central mountains of Costa Rica. BJ40 country...but lots of gas 2F's around also. All this shop does is rebuild and restore older Land Cruisers so I feel I´m in good hands....but I´m going to press them a little further on this....maybe there is a pristine 2F block laying around............

You might try your google search with the Toyota part numbers for pistons or find cross reference information from other manufacturers. Toyota lists their over-sized pistons in terms of millimeters not thousandths of an inch.

If your mechanic is experienced rebuilding Land Cruiser, can he recommend pistons? And if he sources the parts will he also guarantee his work?

1602767566283.png

Yes, they do talk in millimeters....they were talking about "100 over" but I went to google and figured out that was .040 in gringo terms. The existing pistons have "50" stamped on the piston head. Thanks for the above chart... they said they can find them, but "100 over isn't something you can pick off the shelf here". I feel better already, being armed with MUD information.

You might try your google search with the Toyota part numbers for pistons or find cross reference information from other manufacturers. Toyota lists their over-sized pistons in terms of millimeters not thousandths of an inch.

If your mechanic is experienced rebuilding Land Cruiser, can he recommend pistons? And if he sources the parts will he also guarantee his work?

View attachment 2465999
Well, look at that...entered the 1.00 over part number and up pops ToyotaPartsDeal...in stock, $100 each. I'll do some more digging around because I'm sure there are better prices but with this and previous info I´m on the road to find out.... and yes, they guarantee the work but here it's more of a handshake guarantee. Their reputation is on the line....

50 is stock or at least mine were stamped 50, I think one wasn’t, when I pulled them. I think m engine definitely hadn’t been rebuilt prior to me. It’s only got 196k or so on the odometer.

50 is stock or at least mine were stamped 50, I think one wasn’t, when I pulled them. I think m engine definitely hadn’t been rebuilt prior to me. It’s only got 196k or so on the odometer.
Maybe the sleeves were the reason they told me 1.00 over was the max in my case because apparently 1.50 over is available from Toyota.

Well, after talking to the mechanic today the whole deal about sleeves was my fault. My Spanish is pretty good, but...... What he actually said was if I want the original "standard" bore they would have to install sleeves because the cylinders had already been bored to .020 (.50 mm) years ago. Without posting my question here on MUD I'd still be wandering aimlessly about thinking my cylinders were sleeved. Thank you, gentlemen for helping to set me straight.

You can still get 1.00 2F pistons from Toyota, and if you're going to the trouble of boring the block, that's the size I'd go to squeeze a tiny bit more juice out of the ol' 2F. Chances are the motor, if done right, will then out live your use of it... The shop may have access to OEM aftermarket 'ART' brand.

Toyota rings are crazy expensive, though. If you're at a shop that knows these engines, then I'd just let them source all the parts necessary for the rebuild. You can specify Japanese parts only, if available where you are ... I got Japanese rings, a full set, for like $40 where as the Toyo rings were around $250 ish.

You can still get 1.00 2F pistons from Toyota, and if you're going to the trouble of boring the block, that's the size I'd go to squeeze a tiny bit more juice out of the ol' 2F. Chances are the motor, if done right, will then out live your use of it... The shop may have access to OEM aftermarket 'ART' brand.

Toyota rings are crazy expensive, though. If you're at a shop that knows these engines, then I'd just let them source all the parts necessary for the rebuild. You can specify Japanese parts only, if available where you are ... I got Japanese rings, a full set, for like $40 where as the Toyo rings were around $250 ish.

1.5mm over pistons are still available too.

Yesterday I went over the piston question with mechanic and proudly told him I had the part # for the 1.00 pistons...he told me to stay calm until they hear from machinist. Then we can make a decision. I just happened to see an old thread that mentioned Hastings rings so I checked them out but don't want to get ahead of myself. Serenity now, serenity now. Thanks for the tip on the costs....one thing we did get straight was Japanese made pistons.

Yesterday I went over the piston question with mechanic and proudly told him I had the part # for the 1.00 pistons...he told me to stay calm until they hear from machinist. Then we can make a decision. I just happened to see an old thread that mentioned Hastings rings so I checked them out but don't want to get ahead of myself. Serenity now, serenity now. Thanks for the tip on the costs....one thing we did get straight was Japanese made pistons.

Deves Rings and Hastings Pistons, if you can find them. I'm not sure if Deves is still in business, but there may be some NOS out there. American made quality stuff

I had to have my block overbored. I went w/ ITM from Rockauto, they come w/ rings. They’re pretty...
I’m sorry, your cylinders have sleeves in them or you mean the existing bore?

View attachment 2465994
Nice work I've done lots of short block changes in my time kind of got bored or lost interest in doing that kind of work. I think that comes from an aging brain or automotive repair burnout. I work on every single car except Lamborghini or Ferrari or Maserati

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom