Golden Mountain, Aug 30- Sept 2 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone interested in planning a trip to GMP for Labor Day next year? If not, I'm open to suggestions for other dates.

I’m up for it! That would be a great time!

Is GMP even still open?

Is GMP even still open?
Yes, they still operate. They're only open one weekend a month for normal schedule though. Judging from my past dealings with the owners and scheduling private events, I'm sure we could schedule any time we wanted.

Going to put this out early for anyone that is interested:
The park is 99% hardcore wheeling now. From what I hear even Trail 2, the simple connector trail with the big two-step slab at the end, is not doable by smaller rigs.

When you say "hardcore" are we talking like minimum rear locker, winch and being ok with some new love marks is required; double locked, 37+, beadlocks and body damage is a thing; or exo'd or buggy only?

The 80 is armored up pretty well and in a year might be on 37+, but I am not looking to destroy it. The 40 would probably be ok if I can get some good sliders on it and get the new cage mounted, but just rolling 35s.

Well I haven't seen it, just going off heresay and web chatter. My gut says 37's, 2x locked, armored and not afraid to add "character" is desirable. However, I imagine the short wheelbase of the 40 might be okay with 35's.

How far away is it for you? Could you maybe swing by some weekend just to have a quick look around? Owner said they are open the first weekend of every month.

Last edited:
GMP is only an hour and some change east of me, and I am "close" pretty regularly but in the VW. I will see if we can swing by one weekend just to get a looksie.

I will see if we can swing by one weekend just to get a looksie.
Just keep in mind the ride is tentatively 14 months away.... so no big rush. :popcorn:

The park is for sale, I would not count on it being open a year from now.

I'll keep planning it, and if the park isn't available, we can easily swap it to the Cove, AOP, Chocco, HPM or another nearby small park.

We ran it the week b/w Xmas and NY 2017 and it is not wagon friendly, 35s and double locked or you'll go nowhere. Trails 1 and 2 are not even easy anymore. That said, I'm in given that its a year away.

Whoa, stop the presses - it just registered that you're talking "next" year. I'll probably be in - the ledges to the north of the main entrance trail are epic, and have equally epic rock gardens at the start; the sidehill rock gardens on the eastern side (north of bounty hill); and, the big rocks and rock garden behind the ractrac are all just damn fun.....if the easier trails are harder now, all the better ;)

Golden Mountain always seemed small - but you can do so much more when you're just a short walk back to camp, and extraction seems less of an urgent ordeal.

Used to be a great sushi joint in Cookeville too.

We ran it the week b/w Xmas and NY 2017 and it is not wagon friendly, 35s and double locked or you'll go nowhere. Trails 1 and 2 are not even easy anymore. That said, I'm in given that its a year away.

Sushi in cookeville you say... I am going to have to look for this the next trip up that way.

Think this is the place, right across the street from the historic train depot on the west end of Main Street.

TAIKO SUSHI BAR

Sushi in cookeville you say... I am going to have to look for this the next trip up that way.

copy and paste from another forum.

GMP appears to be officially on the way out

Jayne Randolph
8:58 AM (10 minutes ago)
to me

Andrew,
I have just been informed this morning that the park will now be closing after this years Dixie Run.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks
Vicki

This came about while I was trying to book the entire bunkhouse and a pavilion for a group ride in late fall. We've been on the schedule for this since early August but when I followed up to pay, that's the response I got.​

Very possible, but who the hell is Vicki?

Says it's from Jayne, but it's signed by Vicki. I have an email from Jayne from two months ago saying they were open and no mention of "we may be closing by then".

Very possible, but who the hell is Vicki?

Says it's from Jayne, but it's signed by Vicki. I have an email from Jayne from two months ago saying they were open and no mention of "we may be closing by then".

I don't know the details and I've read and heard all the rumors over the last couple of years like you but this one sounds legit. The thread has grown of course and one guy speaks of having his deposit on the bunk house returned.

I hope it isnt true but it seems inevitable.

Probably true, not denying it.

I'm gonna keep planning this trip and "just go somewhere".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom