Builds Golden Boy / was 'an as-yet unnamed gulf spec diesel 1991 HZJ pickup' (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The guys succeeded in getting the back cover off. So now they can reseal properly. I can't tell too well from the photos as to the condition but I don't seen any immediate issues.
1582653262677.png

1582653280975.png

Golden Boy is pretty much back together again. Now with new front, 6 leaf, springs, new shocks all around, and a new spare tire. The stance is much improved with the new front springs and the truck is essentially level. Here are a few photos from today:
1583248793806.png

1583248890817.png

1583248939028.png

1583248990016.png

Rear bumper is still a work in progress.
1583249023968.png

The guys at the garage were telling me that the old bumper was much stronger than the new one. I suggested the mix and match parts off of the two. We will see how that goes.

To call Toyota's stock offering a "rear bumper" requires an active imagination. Calling it a "rear step" would more accurately describe its true function. :)

"To call Toyota's stock offering a "rear bumper" requires an active imagination. Calling it a "rear step" would more accurately describe its true function. :)"

The new stock one I bought seems pretty weak for a step... The old one on the truck seems more solid. Just in kind of poor shape.

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Gun Runner 5, post: 12922959, member: 49353"]
To call Toyota's stock offering a "rear bumper" requires an active imagination. Calling it a "rear step" would more accurately describe its true function. :)
[/ QUOTE]
The new stock one I bought seems pretty weak for a step... The old one on the truck seems more solid. Just in kind of poor shape.
On a positive note, you should feel good knowing you're giving 10 Bud Light cans a second life by using the OEM bumper. Otherwise they would simply in up in a local landfill. :)

On a positive note, you should feel good knowing you're giving 10 Bud Light cans a second life by using the OEM bumper. Otherwise they would simply in up in a local landfill. :)
Call me crazy but I actually like the design of the bumper. Just kind of weak. But that can be fixed with some steel plates under the aluminum I think--and that can wait until the truck is safe at home in Virginia.

Call me crazy but I actually like the design of the bumper. Just kind of weak. But that can be fixed with some steel plates under the aluminum I think--and that can wait until the truck is safe at home in Virginia.

Count me in the crazy group. Overly complicated but it doesn't feel that weak to me installed. It's certainly heavy. I think you'll be surprised when you get all the pieces attached.

Last edited:
Just a little update friends...

As discussed above, I am in Virginia and I think I probably will stay until the November election before heading back to Dubai. My mechanics swear Golden Boy is ready for shipping to the US. About two months ago I sorted out what paperwork was necessary to export the truck (which is registered to me in Dubai). I needed an 'authenticated' English-Arabic power of attorney. This involved getting the text written by the shipping company, printing it and signing before a Virginia notary. No problem there. Then the notarized POA had to go to Richmond, Virginia to get authenticated by the Virginia secretary of state. That took a good couple of weeks. The real bottleneck was getting the Virginia secretary of state certification authenticated by the U.S. State Department. What with the pandemic it took almost two months. But Friday I got the document back from them, and tomorrow (if they are open) I will take it to the UAE embassy in DC for them to authenticate the certification by the U.S. State Department. THEN I can overnight it to my shipper in Dubai.

Past shipping has taken 3-4 months from when it gets into the shipper's hands. So, absent any more hiccups, it looks like Golden Boy may get here around the end of the year or early 2021.

In other news it turns out I will still have a pickup in Dubai--I kinda sorta bought another one...1FE petrol this time.

Wow... hurry up and wait... You Fedex something to then wait 3-4 months. I know it will be worth the wait though...

So yesterday I did drive into DC to the UAE embassy. Turns out that they have closed the service desk because of the pandemic. I was unsuccessful in persuading them to let me drop it off at the security station. They only are accepting documents for legalization by mail. So I drove about a quarter mile to the closest post office and mailed it to the embassy from there. Shouldn't be too long now, I think.

I like to think you are right, 2fpower. There is a nice little Land Cruiser community here in Northern Virginia. 70 series are not common, let alone diesel 70 series. I's like to think a lot of people will get a kick out of it.

Good news! Today I received the legalized power of attorney documents from the UAE embassy in Washington DC. They were quite quick in processing it. Next step is to overnight it to my shippers in Dubai to get the truck started on its journey to the US!

Good news! Today I received the legalized power of attorney documents from the UAE embassy in Washington DC. They were quite quick in processing it. Next step is to overnight it to my shippers in Dubai to get the truck started on its journey to the US!
What U.S. State?

What U.S. State?
Virginia; Arlington to be specific. Not sure where the shipper will actually send it. Last time they sent through the port of NY. I've suggested Baltimore or Norfolk.

Good-ish news almost 2 months later: Golden Boy is -almost- delivered to the shipping company... It passed export inspection. And many important pieces of paper have been signed, stamped and then signed and stamped again!
1604930928960.png

Impressive, right? (I was hoping for ribbons and wax seals.)

It is so close to shipping....(hopefully).

Good-ish news almost 2 months later: Golden Boy is -almost- delivered to the shipping company... It passed export inspection. And many important pieces of paper have been signed, stamped and then signed and stamped again!
View attachment 2490437
Impressive, right? (I was hoping for ribbons and wax seals.)

It is so close to shipping....(hopefully).
Whoa?!?! You needed State Dept. attestation for export inspection? Or was this just for your power of attorney?

Whoa?!?! You needed State Dept. attestation for export inspection? Or was this just for your power of attorney?

It was for the power of attorney, H. The full sequence was: (1) local Virginia notary; (2) send to Richmond for Virginia secretary of state attestation of the local notary; (3) send to US state department for validation of the Virginia secretary of state attestation; (4) send to the UAE embassy in Washington for validation of the US secretary of state attestation; (5) overnight to Dubai; (6) my shipping agent then took the UAE embassy-validated document(s) to the foreign ministry's office in Dubai to validate the UAE embassy's attestation.

Then...

My mechanics took the truck to the Roads and Transport Authority's testing station for export inspection. With that document and the fully-attested power of attorney my shipping agent can (finally) apply for the export paperwork itself.

I've been working on this for the past several months. What with the pandemic and all, everything has moved very slowly. I have another vehicle that is about to hit the 25 year point that I want to export and I'm hoping I can still use this power of attorney for that as well.

Actually I put two sets of powers of attorney through this process: one for Golden Boy's export to the US, and another for the import and registration in Dubai of an Omani 1997 diesel model 80. That 80 came available and it is the only diesel 80 I've had a chance to pick up, so I did it even though I was here in the US. It's actually been in Dubai for the past 3 months while I've been chasing this set of attestations. I've seen a few diesel 80 fire trucks in Dubai, but they were all right hand drive...and fire trucks. I'd even played with the idea of doing a body transplant, but decided it would have been too much to ask of my mechanics.

I asked my mechanics to send photos of the truck just before they take it over to the shipping agent so I have some reference photos pre-shipment. Here they are:
1604985330284.png

1604985348319.png

1604985375424.png

1604985387881.png

1604985411407.png

I had asked the guys to take the go-faster strips off of the truck, but actually now I'm glad they are on there. It makes it look more like a real Middle East truck, I think. And I can always take them off here. They are just stickers.

When I woke up this morning I found that the shipping company had managed to get the export certificate for the truck. Here's what that looks like:
1605108864754.png

They got the color exactly right!

It was touch and go for a bit. Some of my other vehicles in Dubai were out of registration because I have been out of the country for so long. The RTA (Road and Transports Authority) resisted issuing the export certificate for a bit. I had to promise to try to do the re-registrations remotely.

And today Golden Boy actually got on the flatbed to go to the container:
1605109025941.png

1605109041324.png

1605109058779.png

The guys have been driving Golden Boy quite a bit. The shop foreman even got a little emotional:
1605109130353.png

So today I got an update from the shipping company. Looks like Santa might be bringing something nice!

Shipment estimated time of arrival is on Dec. 23, 2020. Our Export / Shipping Dept will forward you the shipping details and our agent contact info in New York. As we are on these trying times, there might be some delay with the arrival/customs clearance/delivery of the shipment which cannot be our control, in advance we are soliciting your understanding.
1605969186257.png

I love these trucks.

I need to drive one sometime. Good luck with the shipping.

Merry Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom