Going to try to tow a automatic 4wd G2 v6 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
So I asked my buddy to text a pic of the center tunnel & I don’t see the little ‘ballpoint pen button’ to drop the trans into N.

Also, he says the way the trans case shifts, there’s really not a real N position on the transfer case the way it dogleg shifts from 4H to 4L.

Mr. T has to have a way to open the driveline/make it tow-able without unbolting a drive flange, right?

What is the easy way to make his dead 4runner tow-able?

(Blown HG AFAWK - I’m just getting roped in after work today, he just knows I have been through a few Yotas ) - I know he has a key, but not expecting the battery to be charged.

TIA guys, this isn’t my norm model range, just hoping to go prepared to his drama.

Probably has the A340H without "N", rather than the A340F transmission with a "N" position.

Either way, I wouldn't flat tow it, and disconnect the driveline to lift either axle to tow it.

Wow, no joke, hunh?!?

You really need to pull the driveline with his combo then?

IDK his year, it was simply a SR5 (at least, I rode in it once, fabric seats & power locks & windows - I just remember it was the early 6cyl & a auto trans).

He’s a messy bastard/fishing buddy, - so the 1 ride I did, I never saw most of the center tunnel, console area & buttons. It was covered in old food wrappers & similar junk.

Good to know - I’ll bring my socket set & some cardboard for him to lay on then & make his own 4runner tow-able. I’m over being super-nice.

I’ll bring some 9-wire too so he can hang the driveline while we tow his stuff.
I may be getting old, but I’m not getting dumber (I hope) ;)

Thanks, I’ll let him do his own work. He needs to learn it.

Probably has the A340H without "N", rather than the A340F transmission with a "N" position.

Either way, I wouldn't flat tow it, and disconnect the driveline to lift either axle to tow it.

Sure enough - I was hoping we were going to find a little window of a “N” in that left & back dogleg, (he did a good job describing it anyhow) - but you were right - ended up pulling the DL at the axle flange bolts.

That was the 1st Toyota I’d ever seen without a real N position in the transfer case - hope that was an oddity/ 1yr only -thing, seems like a PITA.

Anyhow - thanks @fj80toyman !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom