going to spring over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alright guys going to do a spring over.think im going to get the crap from trail gear:D .but im a newbe to spring overs .my leaves are new.well was till this past weekend:eek: .anyway there in really good shape..my plan is to use this set of springs.anybody see a propblem with that.i know everybody does not like spring overs but if i can use my new springs its a matter of money.in my ignorance do i need a high steer setup.?of course i will get the new pirches ubolts pitman and all of that am i leaving anything out.thanks in advance.

SOA is a good thing..

Use the stock springs, not lift springs..

You basically need some sort of hysteer.

Talk to Gravelmaker about the major parts to do the SOA. (U bolts, spring pads, etc..)

I am not a huge fan of TG.

I'm getting ready to do the same.

I'm pretty sure I'm going w/ TrailGear or Marlin for steering arms. See this thread for tierod and drag lengths...http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398963

I'm also looking at RuffStuff Specialties for my front spring hangers. I haven't talked to them yet, but they list 60 specific hangers. I want to do a shackle reversal up front, but want lower profile hangers than the MAF type.

MAF has great weld on perches. My bro put them on his 40 soa. They are 4+Plus brand and are nice pieces.

I'm going to use stock springs as well. I currently use MAF long add-a-leaves, but am going to pull them for set up and see how it goes.

I just called my local Ford dealer. They have a pair of shock towers (#E5TZ*18183*A) in stock ~$25 pair...nice.

I haven't tracked down an extended brakeline yet, but I think TG and Marlin offer something that will work.

I haven't found a u-bolt plate that I like yet. I'll probably use the stockers temporarily.

Lower shock mount will be fabricated from the stock u-bolt plates. I'm going to chop off the corner w/ the shock stud and miter it for the 3" axle radius and weld onto the back of the axle.

BTW- When you rebuild your knuckles, use TG's backing plate eliminators. I had to chop up the factory backing plate. It was a little spooky, but they work fine. I wish they had them when I rebuilt mine.

I'm sure more stuff will come up during tear down...

Good luck! Don't forget to take before and after pics.

Hijack - Mace, I'll pm you about those parts...

Last edited:
Kavik keep the long MAF AAL's in, I had to put them in after I went SOA on my stock springs. Chances are you are going to want them in, then you can always take them out.

TOY350 said:
Kavik keep the long MAF AAL's in, I had to put them in after I went SOA on my stock springs. Chances are you are going to want them in, then you can always take them out.

word...

Hey bro,
Im getting ready to do the same mod. Im using my stock springs with AAL's too. While Im at it, I may be doing the rear disc conversion and will be adding my lockers...I CANT WAIT!
A couple of good resources Ive found in my travels.
Proffitt's cruisers...He has a "KIT" that has a lot of the stuff to do the SOA including the C and T housing, with perches mounted and inner seals done. He also has a traction bar that looks pretty functional.
Allpro, marlin, 4x4 labs also have hi steer kits for around the same price. 4x4 labs hi steer is the most expensive, but he uses GM components for ease of replacement if something breaks.
Cruiser outfitters also has the parts to do SOA and they do Cut and Turn housings too.
Gravelmaker (ruffstuffspecialties.com) supposedly has a SOA kit coming...Ive been waiting for this one, cuz it sound like it will be an all inclusive package. Gravelmaker said that it would be put toghther this week sometime.
There is a TON of info in the search thread too...check that out, and youll be choking on the amount of info there.
I have another thread titled "SUA vs. SOA" that covers a lot on there too. Its probably on page 3 or 4, by now, here on the 60's board.

Have fun,

Chicago

ok now im starting to pull my hair out .freaking trail gear dont want to sell a lift withoutout buying the whole dam lift most people dont sell lift kits for a 62 im sorry but you is the easyest vender to deal with :mad: all ive talked to, we dont sell lifts without the springs .mace feel free to jump in any time:D .hell skyjacker dont even make a lift for 62.why not.:confused:

Told you :D

You really don't want a skyjacker lift spring..

TG is not my favorite vendor. They are almost the last group that I would purchase from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom