Going to see a cruiser that is getting parted out. What would you get. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm spending a couple more days in South America before heading back to the U.S. and tomorrow im checking out a 97 cruiser that is getting parted out. All I know is that it is complete and has the oem second fuel tank option and ambulance doors.

I was thinking about possibly getting the fuel tank components and getting them shipped to me later since I have family here that can help me that; but I have no idea on the value of that kit in the U.S. to see if it is worth making an offer. (Does anybody know what that would cost stateside?)

Also, I have an empty suitcase and wondered what other things would be recommended to get that are hard to get or no longer available. My cruiser is in very good condition at the moment but at its age I know things will fail eventually and I have never seen a cruiser at any of my local junkyards.

I appreciate any suggestions.

I think people are paying hundreds of dollars for used subtanks imported from australia.

Be double plus sure that they are shipped to you by surface. The FAA frowns on things that have fuel fumes in them shipping by air. Over on discoweb there's a nice tale of a multi-thousand-dollar fine for air-mailing a fuel pump that baked in the arizona sun for months but still tripped a sensor and grounded an aircraft.

Pretty sure if you wanted the ambulance doors you'd need a lot of stuff inside the rear body of the truck.

I believe there is a thread where the NLA parts are listed?

Good to know, if it were worth getting the tank and other components they would prob go in a container. The ambulance doors are cool but I think the hatch is more practical.

What other components weather interior or smaller body/mechanical parts would be suggested.

everything electrical- wiper motors, window motors, etc. Relay's. Always nice to have stuff like this on hand to help diagnose issues

Starter motor, if it matches up. But I have a 24volt diesel starter, and I've been told those will be an expensive nightmare to find when I inevitably need it.

Buy the whole vehicle. The owner just wants it gone and you can save tons of money to have two of everything.

I agree with baldilocks, but if that can't be done, than if it has cloth seats they might be a good choice as well. Quite a few people prefer the manual cloth seats to the leather. Definitely get the ECU's.

Door handles, power lock mechanisms.
Power mirror glass as these break and start to wobble, easy to remove the 1 screw on the bottom, wires just Unclip. Steering column cover.

Not really worth the time to pull the harness - you can get that at home and I've seen very little failure over the years of any harness items for any of my toyotas. I still have harness sitting on the shelf never used. But switches, modules, abs untis etc pretty decent to get. Make sure if you pull abs units that you leave them full of brake fluid - cap or pinch the lines. Lack of fluid increases the chance of corrosion making the part useless

Driver's door upper hinge, if it doesn't have any play.

Kiwi beat me. For the suitcase think small and expensive followed by rare and/or unavailable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom