1975 FJ40 Running Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A rust fee 40 series for just over 12k? I haven’t seen that since the 90s. I haven’t looked recently but I bet tub replacements cost that now. There was a pair of new fenders for sale in Boise that just sold in 1 day for $1000. A good set of doors is over $1000. I dont know where “rust free” starts in a 40 but if it’s 12k I have spent way too much time and money cutting it out of mine and I’m not done yet.
We had settled on a price of $15,200. That said it was quite a bit rustier than pictures showed. My wife and I had a nice drive to the mountains in our 100 Series and are currently headed back to Grand Junction. Thank you so much everybody for the advice. I saw a couple things that I wouldn’t have noticed without. Still looking.

My advice. either don’t buy one or buy a really nice one. 40s are like wood boats and bulldogs. You have to really like them to have them. They are expensive buy and more expensive and or time consuming to maintain. That said there is absolutely nothing more enjoyable for me than cruising around in perfect weather with my bulldog or pulling my drift boat or raft to the launch with my son at 50 or 55 mph letting the traffic blow by until I’m the only one left. It’s worth the time, effort, and expense to me. As cool as all that sounds the busted knuckles, thrown wrenches, arguments over money and garage time spent on it, and roadside breakdowns are all part of its history too. You’re basically getting a mistress. My wife called mine my girlfriend until the trans swap turned motor rebuild, sag power steering, 4 wheel disk brake, spring over, shackle reversal, high steer, locker, new wiring harness gauges, all led lights, oem soft top, tube fenders and new quarter panels, bumpers, rock sliders, and skid plate accident happened/is happening. It is now called my mistress. All in all a pretty cheap half life turned whole crisis though. Im not sure it would have been more fun if I had just dropped 30 or 40k on a nice one 15 years ago but it would have been different fun and I’d definitely be money ahead without question.

Edit to add it’s a March/1975 FJ40. Going to look at, and if all goes well planning to buy my first FJ40 tomorrow. It's been in the same family since the '80s, runs, stops and is in pretty good shape. It's not perfect, but it's the best one I've found in a price range I feel good about. It has what I think is pretty standard rust attacking the rear sill and rear quarters. I'm hoping to enjoy it for a while, and eventually make the repairs. It's also had a sunroof added...bummer, but looks like that can be patched eventually too. When I'm crawling around and under it tomorrow....what else should I be looking at? How much rust is too much rust? Thanks all! View attachment 3229934
The sill is fairly easy to replace if you can weld. The issue is that if the sill is that rusty when you start cutting it away you’ll find more. It will turn into a new back half of the tub. For body work on a 40 it’s much more cost effective to find a rural welding shop. Most body shops charge a fortune if they will even take them. The sheet metal on the is so heavy a good welder will make it look just as good minus final prep than a body shop will. For structural stuff I usually tack if together and drop it off for final welding. Keeps the hours down and you know it will be what you wanted.

That's a rusty one! I saw this on offerup locally in socal (not mine). Might be had for around the same price as you're looking. Best of luck!

Going to look at, and if all goes well planning to buy my first FJ40 tomorrow. It's been in the same family since the '80s, runs, stops and is in pretty good shape. It's not perfect, but it's the best one I've found in a price range I feel good about. It has what I think is pretty standard rust attacking the rear sill and rear quarters. I'm hoping to enjoy it for a while, and eventually make the repairs. It's also had a sunroof added...bummer, but looks like that can be patched eventually too. When I'm crawling around and under it tomorrow....what else should I be looking at? How much rust is too much rust? Thanks all! View attachment 3229934
Hi,

That rear member is Notorious on the 40's

Check whildshield surround, fange on the bulkhead where it joins to Kick vent panel, floors, everything really!

Repair panels are available for these but can be pricey!

Check where the side window surrounds join the FRP roof, moisture gathers under the rubber seals there.

That rear member is very important on the 40's

Good luck!

----------

Looking for a LHD, Diesel Land Cruiser?
Canarian Land Cruiser Exports • DIESEL • LHD
Edit to add it’s a March/1975 FJ40. Going to look at, and if all goes well planning to buy my first FJ40 tomorrow. It's been in the same family since the '80s, runs, stops and is in pretty good shape. It's not perfect, but it's the best one I've found in a price range I feel good about. It has what I think is pretty standard rust attacking the rear sill and rear quarters. I'm hoping to enjoy it for a while, and eventually make the repairs. It's also had a sunroof added...bummer, but looks like that can be patched eventually too. When I'm crawling around and under it tomorrow....what else should I be looking at? How much rust is too much rust? Thanks all! View attachment 3229934
If you decide not to go ahead with one already in the US, I could ship a Diesel BJ40 to you with no rust to your nearest port, It wouldn't work out so much more and won't require work when it arrives.

I will see what I can find you.

I own a 40 myself and just love them!

--------

Looking for a LHD, Diesel Land Cruiser?
Canarian Land Cruiser Exports • DIESEL • LHD

Along the same area of the rear “bumper” double check where the rear leaf springs attach to the frame and the angle braces that go from frame rail to rear bumper/crossmember. Fairly common for the worst frame rust to be here. It’s fixable but will require welding and ~1K in aftermarket frame pieces. Ask me how I know ha.
This was great advice. The rear crossmember was not rusty, but had taken a hit and was not straight. That along with unexpected floor rust, fender and some coming through the rocker helped me make the decision to pass. Not looking for perfect....but I think I can find one with less rust. Too bad because it was a blast driving it.

A rust fee 40 series for just over 12k? I haven’t seen that since the 90s. I haven’t looked recently but I bet tub replacements cost that now. There was a pair of new fenders for sale in Boise that just sold in 1 day for $1000. A good set of doors is over $1000. I dont know where “rust free” starts in a 40 but if it’s 12k I have spent way too much time and money cutting it out of mine and I’m not done yet.

Replacement tubs are all over the place, pricewise. I only know that, because I might be in the market for one soon. I've seen some for as much as $12-$14k (not considering shipping), and I've seen some for around $5k. I need to further evaluate my particular situation, but I was considering Aqualu.

Replacement tubs are all over the place, pricewise. I only know that, because I might be in the market for one soon. I've seen some for as much as $12-$14k (not considering shipping), and I've seen some for around $5k. I need to further evaluate my particular situation, but I was considering Aqualu.
Same. I’ll probably swap in an aqualu tub after college and when I get my own place and space to park a truck to work on it. There’s definitely hidden rust, and an aluminum tub will save weight so I can have a better performing rig later on. It also would be nice not to have to worry about rust on the tub again.

Looks like I am getting it after all. More rust than I hoped to tackle and a few other unexpected issues. While there, the sellers asked what I would pay for it in its condition and I threw out what I thought was a fair but also much lower number….reluctantly because it’s got more rust than I really want to deal with. They reached out to me after I was home and said they would take that offer. So….back to get it! Pumped and a bit nervous about the project I’ll be talking on at the same time. So it runs, it drives and it’s rusty.

Looks like I am getting it after all. More rust than I hoped to tackle and a few other unexpected issues. While there, the sellers asked what I would pay for it in its condition and I threw out what I thought was a fair but also much lower number….reluctantly because it’s got more rust than I really want to deal with. They reached out to me after I was home and said they would take that offer. So….back to get it! Pumped and a bit nervous about the project I’ll be talking on at the same time. So it runs, it drives and it’s rusty.

And so it begins...........'You got this!'......

Congrats! Don't sweat the rust. Just drive it as is and get to know it and enjoy it. If you bond with it, it makes diving in deeper on stuff like bodywork more worthwhile and gratifying. The worst thing to do with a new 40 is immediately tear it apart. It's just a money pit taking up space in the garage at that point. ;)👍

Congrats! Don't sweat the rust. Just drive it as is and get to know it and enjoy it. If you bond with it, it makes diving in deeper on stuff like bodywork more worthwhile and gratifying. The worst thing to do with a new 40 is immediately tear it apart. It's just a money pit taking up space in the garage at that point. ;)👍

This is great advice! Congrats on the purchase!

That’s my plan. Make sure it’s safe-ish, clean it and maybe pull the top. Then enjoy it this year. If I still love it, put together a plan to replace rusty metal.

Lots of pics! Anything is fixable. That feeling you got driving it doesn’t soon go away.

I am here in Grand Junction as well. Look forward to seeing your cruiser on the road. One more to look at last minute...

Congratulations! Now you've got the bug! (even though you might not realize it yet) As far as the rust and other issues go, just take it one little thing at a time. Don't get overwhelmed by looking at the whole thing. Baby steps! Remember, it's a hobby. Have fun with it!

The cruiser disease has been passed on to another victim. He doesn’t know it yet but he will have 3 soon. One he’s building, one for parts, and one to drive. It is comical what we go through to have a 40 around. 🍻 to the new cruiser folks.

Boy are you right! Even though I've loved Land Cruisers my whole life, I never had one until August of this year. Now I've already had 3! Going to pick up my 3rd one tomorrow!

If you’re looking for something you can take into the woods and do light to medium wheeling, I suggest an Aqualu tub. They are almost original and tough.
If you’re more purist minded, start looking at patch panels.it’s a lot work, but worth it if you enjoy it.
Either way enjoy the ride.

noticed even more rust today than I did initially…oh well…I own it. Love it. Going to drive it for a bit, enjoy, then come up with a plan. Parked in CB next to our 2004.
7D90614B-8F34-4C06-9F8E-8F69A1B24C4F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom