going to build a custom leaf spring pack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This past weekend I had to pull my little 4x8 trailer with about 500lbs on it, and my poor old cruiser was sagging pretty bad in the rear. I have known for quite a while that my springs are worn out, and I actually have another mudder thats going to sell me his lift springs when he goes soa but until then I wanted to see what I could do to give my springs a bit more life. With a quick search on craigslist, I was able to pick up a complete set of leaf springs from a 1995 yj jeep (50 bucks for all). My plan is not to use the spring packs in place of mine, but to make a custom pack by using springs from both. I origionaly was going to use s-10 springs, but was worried that because they were so thick, I was going to have a very stiff ride. The yj spring packs have 5 thin leafs and are only rated at just over 700lbs, so I think with some trial and error, I should be able to have a decent pack that maybe gives a little lift, stays soft and privides a bit of support when hauling a trailer. Any thoughs or suggestions about this are welcome. Although if you will try and talk me out of it, it would be a waste of time b/c I alreay have it in my head that its happening. Oh yeah, I already have add a leafs so thats not an option.

Considering you'll soon have replacements I say the yj springs are a waste of time, but with your agenda in mind: Play around with this calculator to get a rough idea of the results of several combinations...The Ranger Station
I would like to ask you how wide the yj springs are compared to your cruiser springs? I would not be surprised to see that the cruiser springs are wider than the yj ones. Trying to mix-and-match springs of differing widths seems like hack-job work.
My recommendation would be to fit the relpacent lift springs (if they are in great condition) and assess they're performance. If you then need more intermittent carrying capacity, consider air bags.

This past weekend I had to pull my little 4x8 trailer with about 500lbs on it, and my poor old cruiser was sagging pretty bad in the rear. I have known for quite a while that my springs are worn out, and I actually have another mudder thats going to sell me his lift springs when he goes soa but until then I wanted to see what I could do to give my springs a bit more life. With a quick search on craigslist, I was able to pick up a complete set of leaf springs from a 1995 yj jeep (50 bucks for all). My plan is not to use the spring packs in place of mine, but to make a custom pack by using springs from both. I origionaly was going to use s-10 springs, but was worried that because they were so thick, I was going to have a very stiff ride. The yj spring packs have 5 thin leafs and are only rated at just over 700lbs, so I think with some trial and error, I should be able to have a decent pack that maybe gives a little lift, stays soft and privides a bit of support when hauling a trailer. Any thoughs or suggestions about this are welcome. Although if you will try and talk me out of it, it would be a waste of time b/c I alreay have it in my head that its happening. Oh yeah, I already have add a leafs so thats not an option.

That's an odd way of rating a spring pack. Springs are generally rated in
lbs per inch. Using that number you can derive a desired ride quality and
height by manipulating free arch and deflection. I would estimate a YJ spring
rate to be between 200 and 250 for a stock spring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom