Going Camping - LJ78 | 2LTE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a long wait and getting the truck ready, we are finally heading off tomorrow for our first 10 days out with the LJ78.

Rooftop tent, awning, recovery gear, custom storage rack build, food, clothing, etc.

However, what is a recommended / comfortable payload for the LJ78 | 2LTE?

@GTSSportCoupe - Any thoughts here?

I estimate that with the trip later this year we may end up with a 500kg payload for a 30 day trip :)

Looking forward to the feedback.

After a long wait and getting the truck ready, we are finally heading off tomorrow for our first 10 days out with the LJ78.

Rooftop tent, awning, recovery gear, custom storage rack build, food, clothing, etc.

However, what is a recommended / comfortable payload for the LJ78 | 2LTE?

@GTSSportCoupe - Any thoughts here?

I estimate that with the trip later this year we may end up with a 500kg payload for a 30 day trip :)

Looking forward to the feedback.

Just saw this, but maybe you've already embarked on your trip.

My experience is the body/frame/axles can take pretty much anything you can get into or onto your LJ78.

The limit is more vehicle stability and load capacity of the springs. Heavy springs will make big loads stable and comfortable. Soft tall off road springs make heavy loads unnerving. I've run both types of suspension, and there is no spring that is perfect at both heavy load and off road capability.

I'd have to look at your build thread again to know what springs you have, but that will define what you can do. You'll see the back of the vehicle squat as you load it up. As you drive, it'll be a bit tippy. So basically, you just have to decide for yourself how much of that is acceptable.

Generally, keep the heaviest items lowest down and that will reduce body roll. Put the lightest items in the roof rack.

Just an after thought edit here: Make sure your tires are up to the task. I run e-rated 10ply when I'm heavily loaded. But you can just go by load rating of the tires.

Hope you have a great trip!

Last edited:
Just saw this, but maybe you've already embarked on your trip.

My experience is the body/frame/axles can take pretty much anything you can get into or onto your LJ78.

The limit is more vehicle stability and load capacity of the springs. Heavy springs will make big loads stable and comfortable. Soft tall off road springs make heavy loads unnerving. I've run both types of suspension, and there is no spring that is perfect at both heavy load and off road capability.

I'd have to look at your build thread again to know what springs you have, but that will define what you can do. You'll see the back of the vehicle squat as you load it up. As you drive, it'll be a bit tippy. So basically, you just have to decide for yourself how much of that is acceptable.

Generally, keep the heaviest items lowest down and that will reduce body roll. Put the lightest items in the roof rack.

Just an after thought edit here: Make sure your tires are up to the task. I run e-rated 10ply when I'm heavily loaded. But you can just go by load rating of the tires.

Hope you have a great trip!
Thanks @GTSSportCoupe

Appreciate the feedback.

Will post some pics after the trip :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom