Going about putting a stereo in. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nullterminal.org
Hey guys,

I got my new Pioneer DEH-4900 stereo, along with a Pocket for the open space after taking the double din out,

Anyone know where to start when taking out the stock double din?

And also from a friend with experience, he says you have to bypass a amplifier that toyota put in stock, Anyone know where it is, is it behind the stereo somewhere in the dash?

Thanks,
Trevdawg

take the dash off, and the glove box, youll see the amp next to the glove box. at this point i dont know if youll just want to bypass the amp, or what, but i went on a suggestion to just rip it out entirely. youll need a wiring harness to put in the back of the din to hook it up to your speakers or what not. unless you want to sodder, cap, and get into all that other electrical junk. how much power do you have comming out of your new unit?

to be honest, i havent done it yet, but i have my new din, and am putting it in next week over spring break. these are just suggestions ive heard from when i posted my thread. here is the link to mine. i think i asked a lot of questions you might have, but you might have more. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=132709&highlight=pig+buggy

heres circiut city's site for the wiring harness. i havent heard spectacular things about metra, but i cant seem to find another one for the price they list. and i dont think it will screw you over in the long run.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metr...41015/catOid/-15882/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

good luck.

I just did this yesterday.

Before you start, make sure you have a wiring harness for your vehicle. The generic Toyota one from Metra or Scosche works fine.

I'm not sure if it is different in your 94 but in my 97, I did the following:

1. Pull out the ashtray and unscrew the two screws in there.
2. Pull out that useless little cubbyhole thing and unscrew the two screws in there.
3. Pull on the trim. The right side will come out pretty easily but the left side needs a little coaxing. I removed the hazard/defrost/antenna switches to get better grip and leverage.
4. Unscrew the four bolts that connect the stock stereo to the chassis.
5. Pull out the stock stereo and unplug it from the harness.
6. Wire the corresponding wires from your new headunit to the aftermarket wiring harness.
6. On my 97 I plugged the aftermarket wiring harness to the two grey plugs.
7. Put it back together.

Or you can just check out this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=141518

I dont have a useless cubby hole thing.. =( i do have a really cool looking ECT button that my friends and i call the "Etcetera button!"

Any clue what to do, And is the big hunk of plastic that sticks out under the glove box on the passenger side the amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom