Going 4.88's, where to find a solid REAR spacer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your local machine shop. I looked around and prior to this past weekend no one is making them. I got stuck using the crush sleeve. Be sure to grab a solid spacer for the front though from Marlin.

Your local machine shop. I looked around and prior to this past weekend no one is making them. I got stuck using the crush sleeve. Be sure to grab a solid spacer for the front though from Marlin.

Well how much different did the rear crush spacer look than the front? Do you still have the originals out of them that I might try to have one machined?

Well how much different did the rear crush spacer look than the front? Do you still have the originals out of them that I might try to have one machined?

Give Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com a call, he is talking about making some.

Give Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com a call, he is talking about making some.

The drawings went to the machine shop today... its going to be a bit before I have them production ready...
pinion_spacer.jpg

SWEET!! I'm looking at pulling my diffs in the next month, think they will be ready by then?

I hope so... I'm hoping to have a couple of prototypes completed within a week for testing in my differentials (4.88 in my FJ40). Assuming they setup as planned.. its on! :cool:

The only real hangup is the machine shop... I could make a couple of them up at school... but if I want to get them mass-produced I need to outsource them (or pay for them at school).

No gots. I didn't keep it.

:doh:I guess I should have called Kurt about two months ago.

I have no desire to pull the 3rd member again for a while but maybe if I go to an ARB in the future.

Kurt,
Is the 80 pinion approximately the same size as the 40 or do you have an 80 rear axle in your 40?

...Kurt,
Is the 80 pinion approximately the same size as the 40 or do you have an 80 rear axle in your 40?

If using aftermarket gears the pinion is identical... same parts as used for every other "9.5" LC axle. The bearings are identical too... the only variable is the distance between the bearings (area occupied by either a pinion sleeve or a crush sleeve). I don't have a pulled down 80 to test it right now, but the design should allow shimming for either installs. :D

I can ask Poser to measure up my old 4.11 pinion and bearings with the crush sleeve and pass that along if it would help.

Probably pretty much the same damn thing. I have Solid Edge and it has the same default blue screen.

I'm not up to speed on the features of Solid Edge.. but Solid Works is a top of the line solid modeling suite. It has an attached FEA suite (COSMOS) as well as works very nicely with CAD drivers. We (UofU ME department) used Pro-E by default, though I would estimate 75% of students (and many faculty) were using SolidWorks for their own projects due to its much more user freindly setup and powerful features.

Prototypes are getting installed tomorrow :cool:

Pending good results, we will have them in stock in about a week... ~$30/each :cool:

Prototypes are getting installed tomorrow :cool:

Pending good results, we will have them in stock in about a week... ~$30/each :cool:

just in time for my job!:cheers: :cool:

I don't have an 80 pinion here to verify the spacer will work... They seem to work in all FJ60 OE crush sleeve setups, and have the same shoulder as the OE FJ40/FJ60 pinions that had the built in spacer (that used the small shims). If anyone has a stock rear 80 series pinion kicking around I would love some measurments ;)

EDIT: One issue I that might come up... the difference in cage dimensions on the Koyo/NSK verus Timken bearings is pretty drastic... While the prototype as designed will work with either, it is possible that the spacer could interfer with the Koyo/NSK cage (only the upper/outer bearing) if you don't make sure to set the spacer relativly centered (doesn't have to be exact so its basically a non-issue). The only way to resolve this is to reduce the amount of surface area on the top of the spacer, our production run units will likely reflect this.

Many thanks to Kevin for lighting my fire ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom