1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

goin to AK for vacation!!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by cruzer, Aug 12, 2005.

1. cruzer

cruzer

Going to AK for vacation in 1.5 weeks. Gonna be tons of fun..oh and my bro is getting married up their so that should be fun too:p

Going to drop by Mark W shop:)

Other than that don't know what i am going to do. Heard about a couple good pubs/mircobrews ect so maybe check out one or two of those...

going to Seaward with the family for to the AK state fair...hmm Thinking of taking the train to fairbanks just to be able to see some sights ect...

Stew

2. green73

green73

Media:
    Albums:
    For Pizza and IMO the best microbrew in Anchorage, go to "The Mooses Tooth". You will be in line for 30 minutes minimum, but well worth that wait.

3. bsilva132

bsilva132

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll second the Moose's Tooth. They also have the Bear's Tooth where you can get dinner and microbrew while you watch a movie. Humpy's is a great place to get all kinds of good micros and they usually have some kind of entertainment. Also try the Glacier Brew house, excellent micro's and food. For a really nice dinner, try Simon and Seaforts.
    -Brian

4. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Media:
    Albums:
    That's Seward, named after the Secretary of State who arranged the purchase of Alaska from Russia for $7,200,000. With your limited time, I'd skip Fairbanks and go to Denali NP.

5. mabrodis

mabrodis

Yep, go to Denali National Park, Fairbanks doesn't have alot to offer IMO (lived there for 4 yrs when I was a tiny kid)...you can go outside of Fairbanks and pan for gold where it was first discovered in the Fairbanks area...and if you go there you will have driven by my dad's land (tons of beaver ponds on the right...yeah, my dad owns beaver ponds) :D

Palmer (~50mi from Anchorage) is very nice, I lived there for 5 years, nice place, although you don't get quite as much of the midnight sun experience as you get when in Fairbanks (going out on the town at 11:00pm in bright sunlight is cool!).

Take lots of pics, cool place, I need to get back up there, my son would love it.

6. TRT2

TRT2

My wife and I just returned from the 2 week Inland passage tour and cruise... we had the time of our lives!

Strongly recommend the train and spending some time in Denali. Get out and do some stuff...

Here is a shot of the ARR pulling into Telkeetna
    [​IMG]

inside our royal caribbean train car.. Cindy on the right
    [​IMG]

Cindy sitting in front of Nagley's store...
    [​IMG]

the port in Seward (Seward and the Kenai Peninsula was beautiful)
    [​IMG]

and of course, me holding up the pipeline
    [​IMG]

We also flew above the arctic circle and saw the midnight sun over the Yukon river... learned about and went into a hard rock mine in Juneau, rode ATVs, visited Denali and actually saw the mountain, rode the White Pass and Yukon route in Skagway... just an awesome time. 1st time to AK, 1st cruise.

7. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

I'm gonna be there a week from tomorrow :D

Doing the whole cruise thing tho.

8. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

Is the cruiser going ?

If so get a Milepost Guide.

+1 for the Moose Tooth.

In Seward a glacier cruise (1/2 day) in Glacier National Park is awesome and one of the highlights of my trips. You will see Humpback whales,sealions, puffins, dozens of Bald Eagles and Glaciers. If you find a discount book at a local supermarket most of the cruises and train trips can be bought buy-one-get-one-free. Whale watching cruises in Prince Edward sound is also fun.

Close to Anchorage I would look up the tides and try to see a "bore tide" on the Turnagain Arm. Very cool and something found in only a couple of places in the world. Spotting Buluga whales in the Turnagain Arm is fun. I enjoyed climbing Blueberry Hill in Anchorage for the city view. Something great about a city bigger than Delaware and with wolves running wild in a city park.

I found Fairbanks was not worth my time since I couldn't trust my vehicle all the way to the artic circle or ocean (pre-cruiser days). So if I had limited time I would not go further north than Denali.
    8-Hour bus tour of Denali is worth it. And the train from Anchorage to either Denali or Seward is really cool and can be combined with other activities.

9. LabRat11

LabRat11

10. phishtaco

phishtaco Cincinnati

I love the Moose's Tooth, good pizza and beer. We hit a lot of little brewerys.

11. mabrodis

mabrodis

That is sweet, last time I was up in Alaska we took a flight up onto McKinley, landed on a glacier, one of our buddies is the head pilot for a company that does tours and flies climbers up there..we saw the cabin and wondered about it. That was awesome to fly up there, land on the glacier (do not think of a nice serene landing, the landings are bumpy and done at a fairly high speed, none of this gentle touch-down stuff). If you can take a flight tour around there, DO IT!

12. cruzer

cruzer

WOW didn't think i would get this much response from you guys! this is awsome. Will deffinitly have to hit Moose's Tooth for beer and pizza... I deffinitly want to go see Denali NP just not sure how i am going to get their?? But tour or Train Tour...hmm need to do some investigating further. Hopefully whatever i want to do isn't booked up since this is so last minute.

when i was about 12 we went to AK on a cruise and we went up the inside passage in the cruise ship!!!

Stew

13. Mark W

Mark W

Denali NP = a ride in a vendor operated old school bus with a bunch of bluehaired old ladies while a parky tells you how the fairly average terrain is somehow unique.

Skip it. Take a rental car out Petersville road. Ya get to cross creeks that run across the roadway, you see fewer people and you get closer to McKinley and have a better view of it than you do on the park bus.

While you're in the ANC area, run out to Palmer and then up to Hatcher's Pass/Independence Mine. Since the state decided to "improve" the old 4x4 road up there so that the cruise lines could take more bluehaired tourists up there in the buses it has suffered IMHO, but it is still a very pretty place and well worth the time to check it out. Beautiful terrain and easy to take a short walk away from the people.

Flight seing over the Chugach Mountains and Prince William's sound can be pretty reasonably priced and can be done quickly if that's what you prefer. Check out the operators out of Palmer airport for better prices.

Get the heck out of Anchorage. A city is a city is a city. Nothing special there. You can get pizza and see movies at home after all.

Mark's shop? Don't expect much. Just another hole in the wall.

Mark...

14. cruzer

cruzer

Mark,

Good ideas! I will look into this kind of stuff some more!

Stew

15. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

This time of year the Silver Salmon are starting to run in many areas of coastal AK. You have to fish that if you have any interest in fishing at all. It's huge fun either spin or fly fishing. I've caught 30+ fish in a day flyfishing, and I'm no expert flyfisherman. I'll be up there in 3 weeks for our annual "guys" trip and can't wait. Agree about the Chugach mountains-very cool. Much of the terrain is really spectacular-you don't need to go to Denali to see it. Bottom line-get outside as much as you can, and bring rain gear.

16. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

Ok - maybe the Galcier cruise wasn't the best part of my trip to Alaska (Only second). Fishing for Silver salmon during the Seward Silver Salmon Derby off of a chartered sailboat was maybe the best.

Seward Silver Salmon Derby

Sea Kayaking out of Whittier was cool too and close enough to Anchorage to do in a comfortable day.

On my overrated list I would put Homer, Alaska. A long senic drive to a tourist trap/overrated poets corner at the end of the road.

17. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I'm on the plane right now on my way back from ak, via seattle. Was there for about two weeks with family. Great weather, awesome time. Hard to type much on a blackberry, I'll post some more in 5 hours when I get home.

18. green73

green73

Media:
    Albums:
    Mark. Why did I never ask you about how to see Denali best when I was up there? It figures you would know a "Road less traveled". I took the stupid day long bus tour and now wish I would have asked you before doing that trip. Not that I regret it. Hindsite..... I also wish now that my rig was in the condition it is now while I was up there, I could have seen more than just Knik.

19. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

We need pics!

Take the train to Talkeetna.

Instead of the bus trip w/ blue hairs - fly up and land on the glacier. You will not regret it!

If you end up in Homer - my dad owns a B&B there - The Kiana Bed and Breakfast. Ask for the TLCA discount! :D

20. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Also, Homer has a Halibut Derby!