Godwin, what is it?

rrv333

SILVER Star

We call them rat snakes. Godwin can correct me, If I'm mistaken. Those snakes will devour a clutch of eggs in one sitting and they're H@$% on baby chickes. My Dad raised chickens his whole life and he said those snakes are the worst for eating eggs and baby chicks.

POTATO LAUNCHER

TLCA #6928

We call them rat snakes. Godwin can correct me, If I'm mistaken. Those snakes will devour a clutch of eggs in one sitting and they're H@$% on baby chickes. My Dad raised chickens his whole life and he said those snakes are the worst for eating eggs and baby chicks.
10-4. I did not see it in person and the picture isn't real clear. The head didn't suggest viper so that wasn't a concern. The markings looked almost constrictor so we were thinking a lost pet situation. Thanks for your response.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star

A buddy of mine found this one in his chicken coup near San Antonio. We don't think it is native by the size and markings.
Possibly a released pet? Was not interested in the chickens, just the eggs.

View attachment 2272120
10-4. I did not see it in person and the picture isn't real clear. The head didn't suggest viper so that wasn't a concern. The markings looked almost constrictor so we were thinking a lost pet situation. Thanks for your response.
That's a native Texas rat snake, aka chicken snake, and the food of adults is birds and small mammals. A chicken coop is like spreading out the buffet for one of these snakes because the birds, nests, and eggs are in a confined area. While adult snakes can be up to 7 ft. long most large ones seen will be in the 4-6 ft. range. Adult chickens will be too large to be consumed but eggs and chicks are just the right size.

The rat snake is a constrictor and adept at climbing trees. Often they'll feed upon native birds that are nesting in trees. You can also find them where there are mice and other rodents.

Your friend has a hole in the chicken coop somewhere. 😉

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star

This post is kinda like that backwoods church in Coppinger Cove, TN with sign over the door:
"36 Baptised, 35 Saved"
:oops: <did someone drown in the crik?>

I sure hope the "last" gator wasn't the last of him!
The "last" gator was an 11' one that had drowned in a trap. We kinda posed that shot 😉

Top Bottom