god damoil pan gasket, pressure switch and oil pump small story need some answers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
ok today started off great. Picked my friend up grabbed a valve cover gasket came home jerked it off adjusted my valves my god were they lose. Put it back together tried to start it wouldn't run tried tried tried thought he adjusted them to tight or something.

Discoverd a wire got knocked off the intake fuel injection system hooked it back up bolted back together ran way better.

But before we put the valve cover back on we noticed not a whole lot of oil was being pumped out the rocker arms my friend suggesting we replace the oil pump on it to be safe begins im trying to prep the truck for a cape hatteras run then a run to Canada from Baltimore md within the next couple days.

Called around to no avail looking for a oil pump. So we decide we gonna pull the pan off clean the screen and stuff hopefully the screen just clogged.Head was pretty dirty inside the valve cover. So I call around looking for a oil gasket place said they had it I say go ahead and start trying to take the pan off ordered im running to get the oil pan gasket. Get to the store 30 mins away in the rain walk in ask for it they say of we got it but its at our other store. Im like what the fudge I called asked for it told its here said im coming to get it now you don't have it bull****. Wheres the other store of it on other side of town hour away but the store closes at 7 look at the time its 6:45 im like s*** s*** s***

get my trying every in the book to get the pan off it wont come off like its welded on or something DAM CORK GASKETS HATE THEM BEGINS BEINS IT WONT COME OFF COULDN'T GET THE GASKET OR UP[UMP WE DECIDE WE GONNA TAKE AND ADD NEW OIL PRESSURE GAUGE TEMP AND VOLT GAUGE Go to remove the old oil pressure unit pop the rubber cover off it oil dumps evreywhere. seems the pressure switch unit was bad and leakeing. so good thing we gonna eliminate the original right . Well the new oil pressure fitting wont screw in the whole mean at all. by this time we been out there since this afternoon and it was approaching 10 raining cold wet just miserable.

so long story short we got valves adjusted problem screwed oil pan gasket up so much it gonna leak from there now noon my luck anyways my friend says no I say yes. Got the engine temp gauges hooked up another friend figured out why the radio wasn't working while we were getting soaked in the rain tonight.

And tomorrow we finish trying to get the oil pressure unit volt gauge working lights hooked up in the gauge cluster.

Gonna add a trans cooler to it also tomorrow Now about that oil if I get it off tomorrow will permatex work fora gasket on it or am I no matter what gonna have to postpone my trip and wait for the parts<oil gasket and oil> tocome in then fix it properly. I no the proper way problem best .But will permatex work on the oil? What's the probability of cleaning the oil screen and sticking it back in and making it pump right?

Could the small leak in the original pressure switch for oil be reason my pressure wasn't coming out the rocker shafts properly?

How big a trans cooler should I put on my fj-62 anyways I bought a small one tonight should I take it back and get the larger one. I picked one up for small to mid size suvs.Think it will handle the job? Gonna be doing some beach running for a couple days then it gonna be sorta a daily driver and off warrior?

any comments besides spelling and grammar much appreciated :bounce: :doh: :doh: :doh:

The oil pans can be hard to remove. Try to slowly work a flat head in one side and get your bottle jack and a small 2x4 and push the oil pan from the side with the bottle jack against the frame. You want to slowly loosen the pan and donn't use the jack to much you dent the pan.You want to replace it with a cork Toyota gasket and use some permatex on the corners.

Why did you pull the oil pan again? Low oil pressure is usually not a oil pump problem.Where was the oil going you saw while doing the valve adjustement? It is normal to see it squirting around when the valve cover is off I think. Did you clean the valve cover gasket and make sure you got a good seal?

If you didn't get the oil pan too loose and just took out all the bolts you probably will be fine short term to put back in the bolts and tighten them to the right torque.

once we figured why it wouldny start after the valve adjustment we started it with the valve cover off the motor to see how much oil was being pumped. It was pumping but didnt look like we thought it should look. My friend been mechanic for about 15 years., Granted not many cruisers if any in that time but has delt with yotas befor. Pluss i had noticed a drop in oilpressure this week, and the combined seemed like mostlikely culprit was the oilpump. But im now thinking beins the original sensor was leaking this was the result of not that much oil bein pumped out the rockers or it was actualy pumping the right amount and we just alittle looney i duno.

Yeah it probably was fine and pumping the right amount of oil. Yeah see what your pressure is after replacing the oil pressure sending unit.

Goodluck

Boy-I agree. As someone who has replaced an oil pump in a 2F looking for improved oil pressure-my advice is to look elsewhere. The culprit is likely that 1) it is normal, 20 Your mains are worn and no oil pump on the planet is going to change that, or 3) your cam bearings are worn out.

I'll bet you that your oil pressure and flow to the head is NORMAL. It really only trickles out at idle. It isn't like a SBC where the oil comes out and gets sent everywhere.

Before you do anything, measure the oil PRESSURE at the sender oriface with a real pressure tester. NAPA sells a good one for about $50. If you have 10 psi per 1000 RPM you are probably good to go. Even as they wear out a 2F will run a long time with gradually diminishing oil pressure. I was worried about mine 4 years ago at 40 psi at 3000 RPM, down from 45 psi at 2000 rpm. I'm sure I have some wear, but it's still going strong with excellent power (for a 2F). One day it will go, but that could be years from now!

An oil pump has the easiest job in the motor. It runs bathed in oil, and they rarely truely wear out.

it's a tractor motor...not a 350. they don't need to have oil squirting all over the place.

thank you thank you all. Im gonna rebolt the pan today hook my new oil guage up my volt guage up and see what happens i realy wana go toparagon tomorow then cape hatteras on monday keep my fingers crossed .Now time to get dressed and get this pig done!

Does anyone have some actual psi oil pressure measurements for a 2F at different RPM's, Cruiserdrew's are great, I have some written down (somewhere), does anyone else have some they would like to throw into the mix? I would love to know some base pressure recommendations... or at least to know there are some motors out there running on 5 psi... :D

Just for general info, nothing like an air chisel for getting the pan off...go slowly, be careful not to damage the pan. Took like 15 minutes.

well got the trans cooler. oil pressure guage wattertempguage , valves adjusted. radio installed. Figured out a way tomount my fishing rods.

Goodnews myoil pressure atidle not in gear is like 35 to 40 psi and cruiseing along its at 50 to 60 me so dam happy.No oil pan removal aslong it dont start leaking keep myfingers crossed.

Just hope this small trans cooler does the trick .

Anyone no a easy way to install a trans temp guage? in a 89 cruiser? thats gonna be next project after i get exhuast leak fixed.

Wish me luck takeing it on a three hour one way voyage to paragon in morning to find out if evreything goona be good for my trip to hatteras and canada within the next couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom