God awful noise...water pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just when I was loving my truck so much!

Started it today and it was making a horrible noise....loose chain, clanking, banging. Managed to limp it home and it drove ok, kinda sluggish. After I parked it there was dirty oil looking fluid underneath that turned out to be dirty antifreeze I think; not oil. I tried to spot the leak but all I could see was some of the same stuff splashed around the front of the engine bay.

I started it again to try to spot the leak...couldn't, but I did notice the fan was wobbling. After shutting down I can turn the fan by hand and move it back and forth like it's not on tight. It seems like the noise is coming from behind the fan pulley or even inside the engine.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Nick

Sounds like a water pump to me, if you mean the pulley and fan are wobbling front to back and side to side.

Agree. Sounds just like the video in this thread below. Would it leak as a result? Do I just replace the whole thing? 1, 2, 3 bananna job? Is there a tech article somewhere?
Knock knock

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I heard the same noise. I pulled the belt off and felt that the fan was loose. This looseness was the bearing on the water pump going out.
While you are there... replace the thermostat and the hoses in the general area. The water pump was kind of a pain in the ass because of the lower hoses.

There's a little 3" hose that can get missed for hardline cuz it gets literally coated in grime. It's one of two off the water pump.
And if you've not done hose yet, the trick for install is a 50/50 solution of dish soap and water. Makes a nice slippery mix. Dip and shake.

Buy only OEM for the hoses...they last and worth it. Don"t forget to burp the coolling system after your done..there are good threads on how to do that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom