Gobi vs Gamiviti. Fully optioned, full rack (1 Viewer)

Gamiviti vs. Gobi

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just installed Gamiviti Expo+++ on 100. Tim gives you full custom options to include a basket floor on entire rack or just partial. It’s very low profile as it sits at exact height of stock rack. You can add or delete anything you want... light bar options, light tabs front rear or side, additional mounting gussets, basket floor, sunroof cut out, permanent or snap on fairing, and even a recessed basket if you like.
Obviously my vote is Gamiviti, as I also like his styling better than Gobi. Number one rule... Always look Cool!
I know it’s a 100, but here is a June 2018 Version of the Expo+++, with full basket floor, no sunroof cut out, 4 light tabs up front, 2 used to mount his light bar, 2 more tabs in rear, and extra tie down gussets at every bar.

89D35F9C-CA98-47DB-B224-F42E5BFC2E6E.jpeg

D2BBD0A0-6EC3-4D0D-BF72-9121B27C1D0C.jpeg

230CFC8E-DC8E-45AB-AC96-4B30B742FB77.jpeg

DEA19CA5-8C68-4138-80C9-F98B76C5053D.jpeg

F4B5CC8B-7E74-4E42-B555-E0CD7DDAC60A.jpeg

Love the rack, but please tell us about the tire tie down. Looking for it and cannot find one like that. Thanks!

had both on prior 80's and much prefer my current Bowfin rack....simple, solid and easily accessorized.

I love the look of my bowfin rack. I personally think it looks much better than round bar racks. I personally cant see any reason to go with Prinsu. The latching system on the bowfin rack, which allows me to remove rack in literally 1 min. with a second set of hands. Add to all of this that Patrick is an avid cruiser head and its a simple choice for me

20181113_082923.jpg

20180811_105317.jpg

I had a Gobi Roof Rack on my Jeep Wrangler TJ. I ordered it January 11th in full payment, and received the rack at the end of march. They move really slowly and this was a faster than usual time according to my vendor. We are fortunate for the 80 series to have plenty of better option. I will be getting a roof rack for my 80 series, but I'll be passing on the steel gobi for an aluminum alternative.

Buchsusmc
are you sure it's not mounted upside down on the 100......because it looks like it.

I have the rhino rack platform. They are available in flat slimline, tray, or tradie. Aluminum, so it's fairly light and the platform is supported both lengthwise and width, so you can stand on them if you'd like.

I have the Prinsu in raw aluminum. I like it because of the low profile and my truck still fits in the garage on 35s. Not a big deal to mount stuff as you can remove a bar and items sit lower on the OEM roof skids, which sorta simulates a basket. That said, the mounting brackets are weak...would purchase a Bowfin if doing it over. I miss the utility of my old basket basket rack, but not an option for me as my truck sleeps in the garage. I'd choose the Gamiviti over all the others if it would fit...they look very well built.

Buchsusmc, Not to hijack, but what brand of tie down straps are those? Very nice!

It's a good time to be rack shopping. There's a number of really good options out there right now. I was after a very low profile flat rack when I approached Prinsu about making a rack for the 80 series. As a result I'm super happy with my Prinsu since it's the first 80 series rack and I was able to give input on the design. Prinsu has inspired the development of a huge wave of aluminum flat racks of similar design.

Having had steel racks in the past, I am now a huge fan of the weight savings of an all aluminum rack. I also believe in supporting fellow cruiserheads when possible. If you want to do that, Gamiviti and Bowfin are a couple of long time Cruiserheads, One of the things I like about my Prinsu (and the Bowfin rack) is that the rails sit in the rain gutter the full length of the roof rather than 6-8 individual feet that attach the rack to the roof. Those full length rails spread the roof load much better and increase the load capacity well beyond any amount of weight you'd ever want on your roof.

Anyway, several good options to choose from. I'm personally a big fan of my Prinsu.
IMG_7291 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

It's a good time to be rack shopping. There's a number of really good options out there right now. I was after a very low profile flat rack when I approached Prinsu about making a rack for the 80 series. As a result I'm super happy with my Prinsu since it's the first 80 series rack and I was able to give input on the design. Prinsu has inspired the development of a huge wave of aluminum flat racks of similar design.

Having had steel racks in the past, I am now a huge fan of the weight savings of an all aluminum rack. I also believe in supporting fellow cruiserheads when possible. If you want to do that, Gamiviti and Bowfin are a couple of long time Cruiserheads, One of the things I like about my Prinsu (and the Bowfin rack) is that the rails sit in the rain gutter the full length of the roof rather than 6-8 individual feet that attach the rack to the roof. Those full length rails spread the roof load much better and increase the load capacity well beyond any amount of weight you'd ever want on your roof.

Anyway, several good options to choose from. I'm personally a big fan of my Prinsu.
IMG_7291 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
The angled metal mounting tabs welded to the bolt inserts are cheesy/flimsy. Almost like an afterthought. Other than that, the rack is nice.

The angled metal mounting tabs welded to the bolt inserts are cheesy/flimsy. Almost like an afterthought. Other than that, the rack is nice.
Mine have never been an issue, but I've heard a similar comment from a few people. Dunno if I got something different as the prototype rack? Also, I think they are different (improved) now that CBI Offroad has taken over ownership of the brand. Originally, the pieces used for the production racks were Snugtop parts. It's what Snugtop used to hold their shells to truck beds.

If you’re gonna spend that kinda money, check out, Eezi-Awn flat-tops. Nothing better or more RTT-friendly. Very low-profile. Cage-style complicates RTT mounting. If you want a basket, secure one on top and remove when not needed.

Gamiviti (Expo up) with 8 mounts. Super super strong, low profile, with basket in the front 1/3 of the rack.
And fits on the truck in the garage!!

Just installed Gamiviti Expo+++ on 100. Tim gives you full custom options to include a basket floor on entire rack or just partial. It’s very low profile as it sits at exact height of stock rack. You can add or delete anything you want... light bar options, light tabs front rear or side, additional mounting gussets, basket floor, sunroof cut out, permanent or snap on fairing, and even a recessed basket if you like.
Obviously my vote is Gamiviti, as I also like his styling better than Gobi. Number one rule... Always look Cool!
I know it’s a 100, but here is a June 2018 Version of the Expo+++, with full basket floor, no sunroof cut out, 4 light tabs up front, 2 used to mount his light bar, 2 more tabs in rear, and extra tie down gussets at every bar.

View attachment 1739007

View attachment 1739008

View attachment 1739010

View attachment 1739011

View attachment 1739024
So how does the light bar work up front? Does something flip up or over?

So how does the light bar work up front? Does something flip up or over?

You can mount 4 individual lights to the tabs (designed for the fairing), or use round bar clamps to clamp directly to the highest bar on the rack.

Apologies, I don't check back into MUD as often as I should...

J2P - the rack can be run up or down. Mine is in the down configuration. When run up, it acts as a basket, but increases your overhead height. When run down, the expo bars act as grab handles (especially for the 5'2" wife) and tie down points, and the rack sits at exact height of original bars not changing my clearance. Overall, down runs the smallest profile. Gamiviti website has plenty of pics of all the options, and Tim is always willing to answer questions.

cowboyjack - the tie down strap in the photos is an Earth Strap. That was a temporary fix while I built a proper steel J-hook mount and wingnut system. It's a recycled tire strap made by a small business guy I met on a Jeep forum (no judgement). Go to earthstrap dot com. Don't recommend for tire, I use it to strap down my recovery boards and firewood and such.

Betty100LC - I'm running the light bar on 2 of the 4 light tabs that are up front on the rack. The light bar is actually hanging from the tabs from above (opposite of resting it on top). The light bar has sliding mounts on them that incorporate with the venting system on the back of the light bar. I simply slid them off, flipped them over, positioned them to align with the rack tabs, and tightened them back down. Most light bars should accommodate hanging or resting installation types. New pic attached. Also, go back to my original post, and you can see another angle of the side of the light bar.

Let me know if anyone would like more pics or info.... Hope that helps!

Light Bar Moisture 1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom