1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goats, anyone got some?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Landpimp, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    Been thinking about getting a pair of goats recently, any goat folks here? ya like em? hate em? are they freindly?

just looking for some thoughts...........about goat ownership.

John

2. tea LC

tea LC

My dad has some small goats on his farm. Two or three I think. They seem friendly with their goat call and and willingness to come to the fence when I visit.

I'll ask him about the maintenance part if he's around this weekend.

3. patride71

patride71

i think it would mean you wouldn't have to mow the grass and you could just throw your trash in your yard cause they'll eat that too... :D

hijack: anyone own pigs? i want to get a pet pig at some point. i have heard they are very smart and make great pets. of course if i got one i guess i would have to stop eating pork.... :frown:

4. The Bear

The Bear

Pimp
    I grew up raising goats! We had a pretty decent sized dairy goat farm...I'd have to milk about 20 goats by hand every day after school (Dad was nice enough to do it in the morning). I even showed them at shows all over Nebraska! I was a bit of a goat freak in my youth... :rolleyes:

They are wonderful animals, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about goats, the best breed to get, how to house them, what to feed them, etc, etc, etc. PM me.

Stop laughing! :flipoff2:

:beer:

5. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

curious: let's say you have an acre or 2 with weeds and brush (and some desirable trees and plants) in a semi-rural area, you have a full time job and no inclination to milk, pet, wash, feed etc, and go on vacation for days at a time. I had assumed this was no situation where having a goat (or any common pet for that matter) would be reasonable and fair to the animal. Am I possibly wrong, i.e. you put the goat out and come back 3 months later and the yard is immaculately mown, the goat is fat and happy, kinda like a magical lawn mower? Man, I'd be all over that....!

6. e9999

btw, are Old Goats eligible to answer Pimp question? We got plenty here, as evidenced by some recent threads.... :)

7. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

Geez this thread came pretty soon after the "hey now this ain't Montana" comment. Russian must have got you thinking. Goatpimp doesn't quite have the same ring to it though.

I think goats are a fine landscaping tool. Be careful though, It seems like, give the choice, they'd rather live on top of automobiles and feed on automobile trim. I wouldn't be leaving that 45LV alone with any livestock if I were you.

8. Godwin

Godwin Resident Herpetologist SILVER Star

Have had a few goats off and on for the past 3 years. Fenced in about 2 acres of woods behind the house. Put 3 goats back there and within 6 months they'd cleaned out the underbrush. A couple of drawbacks surfaced with ours. Once the forage was gone we had to buy hay to feed them. We also made the mistake of supplementing their feed with sweet feed which they incessantly begged for. Because of their constant bleating for sweet feed and lack of forage we sold 'em. But now we have two more which is more manageable and they get no sweet feed, just a little horse feed each day.

Goats are herd animals so get at least 2.

9. albee

albee

Wife brought home two fixed male pigmy goats last year. I dont really care for them. Ever since they started climbing on the hoods of the cars. I just got a electric fence that you can move around. They are happy and I get different areas of brush cleared. They are for the most part like dogs. They follow you around the yard or go for walks in the woods with you.Get excited when you come home and like to be petted. The wife and kids like them. Buy a book about them first.

10. e9999

pigmy sounds like a good way to go.
    Can one make a nice bbq with these when they've done their mowing job? :D

11. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad

Media:
    Albums:
  12. e9999

yikes! that a french kiss?

13. DMX84

DMX84

My friends Mom has a pigmy goat and it lets it’s self in sits behind the husbands chair. She keeps a broom handy to sweep out the s***. It sweeps real easy and she has Berber (sp) carpet.
    This goat once jumped on top of one of those small Styrofoam ice chests and it was instantly destroyed! Lol It also follows everyone around too.

14. honk

honk

Media:
    There was a guy at my old place who rented goats for yard cleanup and I rented one twice to clear an acre of brush. The guy staked him in one corner of the lot and told me to move the stake when he got that area cleared. Took all of three days (I think it was an old lazy goat) and I went to pull the stake to move it but that sucker came after me like he meant to kill me. It gave me a complex. I finally called the owner and he came over and exchanged goats. Said the first one had been unpredictable almost from birth and took to some folks but hated others for no apparent reason. The new goat was fine and did a fast job on each area she was tethered in - about 20 feet of chain, maybe a little more. When the ground was cleared I called the guy and he came and took his goat back. He left his card. Told me he had 20 goats usually and they were booked year round.
    Look in the phone book under "landscape maintenance" "Goat rentals" and things like that.

15. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

There's a certain farm up in Enumclaw that can help you with your problems!!!!

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

16. Chang-kuao-lo

Chang-kuao-lo

If you just want a pet that will eat about anything that grows, donkeys are great. They are good watchdogs, they kick up a huge fuss if anything unusual is hanging around, heehaw heehaw, you can hear it for miles. They kill stray dogs (pick 'em up by the scruff of the neck, throw 'em in the air, and kick 'em on the way down :) ), and bears are terrified of them. I'll have to find those pictures of the "bad-ass" mule killing the cougar, picked the cougar up by the scruff of the neck and shook him to death, like a 1,200 lb. pit-bull.

Cons would be that the require more training than a goat, and require a farrier to trim thier feet every 8-9 weeks or so (good luck with that!!). Goats don't really do much for me. They are born escape artists, they climb on the hood of your cruiser and scratch the hell out of it, chew all the paint off your cruser's fenders, they aren't even much good to eat. Forkin' milk is just bloody awful (oddly enough, ewe milk is quite nice). The pygmy goats are pretty hilarious though.

17. drexx

drexx

24Jul2005 (UTC +8)

For a moment there I thought you were asking if I got some goats in the fridge. And of course I do :D Specially if they're prepared with a pressure cooker then cooked as a stew! Exotic dishes can even include "goat sushi". Hehehe!!!

18. e9999

anybody had Birria before in Mexico?
    was eating in a market once, got some Birria from a cart. Had a big ole pot on the stove. You'd lift the lid, and there was a goat head, hair, eyes and all staring at you forlornly from the bottom of the pot...! :cheers:

19. archtimb

archtimb

John,

A little more info would help...

You thinking about having them cleanup around your horde, or otherwise?

We are slowly switching over from sheep to goats here. Less animal maintenance (no shearing!) and better prices at market if you are close to an area where the buyers are.

If my asumption is right that you what them for cleanup, a couple of points:
    GOOD FENCES! Ever hear the phrase "he looked at me like a goat looking at a new fence" ? Sums it up pretty well. They are pretty intelligent and seem to enjoy a new challenge.

Goats are browsers, like deer. They prefer brush over grass but do eat both. They will eat nasty brush with thorns as well as the next generation of birch, oak, maple...all food to them.

They can jump like deer (I have seen one clear a 5' fence from a standstill) and they love to climb. If you put them in your horde you will have them playing king of the hill on your latest acquisition. Do you know how tall a round bale is? Last week a frind of mine gave me two bales that had some roses in them. One of our youngsters was on top of the bale even before he lowered it to the ground. Up on his loader it must have been 7' of the ground. And this goat is probably only 30" tall at the shoulder.

All that said, they are very entertaining. Misceivious, playful. We have had goats that were effectionate and some that were just bitches. Let us know your intentions and maybe we can narrow your choices better.

Mitch

20. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    great info guys! :)

I am not looking for them for cleanup or mowing, just as pets.

I only have an acre of land at home and I can only give the goats 1/4 acre at best for there own, this might not be enough area. I don't have any brush or tree's for them to eat, so they would be on the goat chow.

I was thinking of using the fj55 as a goathouse ;)