Builds Goat. A 1967 survivor FJ-45 LWB (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the way home I felt a warm spray on my leg. I looked down and water was coming out of the heater.

Bummed, I decided to race (in a F135 truck this means just don’t stop) home and see it I could get there before it ran out of water

Turns out the ONE hose I didn’t replace busted. My failure.

D4921D85-F560-4495-B0FF-23366FB69C34.jpeg

Oh the joys of old vehicle ownership !

Soldier on brother! You will eventually run all of the gremlins out of your truck .

What doesn’t fit?

Never heard of that. Source?

Pn for bib and turn
151918411276446472453.jpg

Are the cylinders oriented the correct way? Early girls have to have all eight cylinders oriented L and R and F and R. Coolerman's website has orientation pics from the FSM.

I have been going back and forth on what I want to do about the brakes and I have decided to make these drums work. There is just too much of my beautiful original truck that will have to change to make front discs work.

I ordered some new drums. I figured one reason I can’t get the fronts to catch before the rear brakes lock is my drums must be worn.

They came in today and they were just a hair thicker and of course once on the truck they would not fit.

Ugh.

I buttoned up the passenger side and looked at the driver side and one of the cylinders was leaking a little. I changed it. Tightened it all up and went for a ride.

Still locking the rears up.

Dammit.

But I got a cool pic at the farm Down the road.

View attachment 1638306

Found this ....

... and this.
Brake Adjustment
Cheers Peter
.... & this : Duckburg Old Town wrenching lot...Drum brake Boulevard 45 :)

19akgwzfp3c0vjpg.jpg

Last edited:
Are the cylinders oriented the correct way? Early girls have to have all eight cylinders oriented L and R and F and R. Coolerman's website has orientation pics from the FSM.

Yeah, they won’t go any other way. I actually have all new good cylinders.

I guess I should be happy it stops straight. I just want to see
If I can get the fronts doing more. Any panic stop will be sketchy.

Any panic stop will be sketchy.
Don`t know how you brake.
Without the new stuff all the cars have in these days you have to step on the clutch pedal and hold it down during braking. *
That´s what I have learned in a racing school about 40 years ago.
Train it... and train it... and ....
Cheers Peter

* since then I only brake this way... always... even in new cars.
& hold the steering wheel tight with both hands.
It`s stored in my brain. :)

Last edited:
What are those instructions from?

In general, for me, the issue is getting the shoes to seat properly after they’ve been messed with. I leave them pretty tight (as mentioned earlier), drive a little with some hard breaking, then adjust down as necessary. “5 notches” is a lot especially from “drags lightly.” I’m guessing 5 clicks on each cylinder means 10 total per wheel which means no brakes.

Disclaimer: Where I drive with my 40 (and hopefully eventually 45) I don’t need disk-brake performance. And you’ve been in this cruiser world deeper than me, so YMMV for sure.

Last edited:
Drum Brake Tech
Yeah after floating around the idea of fooling with converting to discs I realize I have 3 other Land Cruisers for that type driving. This one will be fine with the drums. Just gotta dial them in

Got the fronts where they are audibly touching on both sides in the front.

Both rears spin freely

Rears still lock up.

I guess this is what I’ll work with. It does not pull in either direction. As long as I’m not slamming on the brakes it seems correct.

Heater hose is fixed

I guess I have to crawl under this damn thing and finish the Rust Converter treatment.

Nasty work.

Who was running for president when this old Goat got on the road?

4F2EDF2C-4B95-4E68-B575-74A19A178C74.jpeg

I spent way more time fixing the one bad one with I see, the wrong lense color, to toss it at This point but great to know.

Just send me a total on the tail lenses I’ll send a PayPal. Thank you!!

You have mail :D

And I countered with a bunch of stuff I want but don't really need.......

Thanks for grabbing those for me.

I accept your counter offer and will reply tomorrow with an updated invoice total :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom