Go Long! Any advice for a cross-country drive in the Hundy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Add a brass hammer (for cone washers) and a 2.5lb hammer (for breaking ball joints) to this list and you have everything you need to pull driveshaft and CVs if you ever blow the front diff.

Can't you just pull the front drive shaft and pull the hub flange without breaking the ball joints and pulling CVs?

I will try not to duplicate what others have said. All very good ideas.
Call your insurance carrier and add roadside assistance if possible. Mine costs about a dollar a month.
Have a cash reserve in case of worst case scenario. Total brake failure and the related repairs come to mind.

Carry the updated Ignition cylinder rod/bracket # 45280-60510. This is a known problem in the older LX470/LC100. Not sure what year it changed, but the new design addresses it.

I've driven all over the Western US and one summer had the ignition rod break in the middle of nowhere in Southern UT. It was a nightmare. It's a factory part. If you have it you could try to fix yourself or have a small shop install. You can't get it at NAPA, etc... I didn't know this when it first broke and basically got yanked around for days by a small shop and ultimately had my LX towed 200+ miles to a Lexus dealer who fixed it right away.

It's one of those things that totally screws you if it happens at the wrong place and time, which mine definitely did!

+1 on the coil pack too. I always have a spare in the car.

Is this the part you are talking about?

Ignition Cylinder Set Lock

@OldTrailFab, model of that Garmin? I've been looking for something like that when we're out in the middle of nowhere Moab.

@OldTrailFab, model of that Garmin? I've been looking for something like that when we're out in the middle of nowhere Moab.

Mine is an older earthmate from around 2015, not sure on the model, but I absolutely hate all of it's functions besides being able to call for help! It basically has the same display/interface as a cell phone from 1999. There is a Garmin app that you can download to your phone and connect to the gps via bluetooth which makes it a little bit easier to use, but I still think there are way better gps apps for actual mapping, route finding, etc.

If you are into military history from the human (suffering) aspect side of it, download some Dan Carlin podcast series. The WW1 and Mongol series should get your across the country with ease.
Hardcore History is the bomb.com. The WW1 series is like 30-40 hours of content and it's all super engaging. The Mongols series, the Persian kings series, and the current series on the Pacific theater of WW2 are also favorites of mine.

Is this the part you are talking about?

Ignition Cylinder Set Lock

No. It is Lexus/Toyota part # 45280-60510 I just double-checked the receipt from when I had it replaced at Lexus of Lindon.

It's the physical metal connecting rod that turns when you turn the key. I was told by the dealer (and lots of posts of similar issue) that the original version was made of "tin metal" and Toyota redesigned it since it was prone to breaking.

Honestly, I can't speak to how likely it is; just that you have to have a factory part to fix it and it has screwed others as well. I'm sure you have to prioritize everything, but if you are covering all bases, might be a good idea to have it on hand and eventually just swap it out before it fails. I'm not sure what model year they implemented the revised design, so you could also do some digging and see if you are in the clear.

Worst case scenario, just know that there are some parts like this that have to be ordered through a dealer and the local mechanic can't just get it from Autozone. That's what screwed me over for days. I was told thy were "waiting for the part" from NAPA and after several days I called BS and ended up having it towed to the dealer. Breaking down in southern Utah on a Sunday is about the worst case scenario for options :) If something every happens again, I'll probably just go straight to a Toyota dealership for peace of mind.

No. It is Lexus/Toyota part # 45280-60510 I just double-checked the receipt from when I had it replaced at Lexus of Lindon.

It's the physical metal connecting rod that turns when you turn the key. I was told by the dealer (and lots of posts of similar issue) that the original version was made of "tin metal" and Toyota redesigned it since it was prone to breaking.

Honestly, I can't speak to how likely it is; just that you have to have a factory part to fix it and it has screwed others as well. I'm sure you have to prioritize everything, but if you are covering all bases, might be a good idea to have it on hand and eventually just swap it out before it fails. I'm not sure what model year they implemented the revised design, so you could also do some digging and see if you are in the clear.

Worst case scenario, just know that there are some parts like this that have to be ordered through a dealer and the local mechanic can't just get it from Autozone. That's what screwed me over for days. I was told thy were "waiting for the part" from NAPA and after several days I called BS and ended up having it towed to the dealer. Breaking down in southern Utah on a Sunday is about the worst case scenario for options :) If something every happens again, I'll probably just go straight to a Toyota dealership for peace of mind.

That part number is described as "Bracket Assy, Steering Column, Upper W(POWER TILT STEERING)" . Looked at some other threads and they also confirm you have provided the correct part number.

Steering Column Bracket Assembly

It's also available for $119 + about $20 shipping from Japan

Last edited:
Some pics of my cross country travel to get you excited, it's an epic adventure and i'd do another one once this damn virus goes away and the world opens up again.

48343181571_f8b1e49867_b.jpg

48409582032_fe88e2e706_b.jpg

48216126067_bf6a389df6_b.jpg

48216125987_7df709f513_b.jpg

48092111877_fb721b2422_b.jpg

Just did 3900 miles Tahoe to Florida without worrying about the truck. Anything can happen, we’re talking about mechanical equipment after all, but fuel costs aside I wouldn’t want to drive anything else cross-country. And I have probably 10 times already, but this was the first I’ve done it in the Lex, and it was a dream.

Lots of good opinions on here already. You just have to weigh cost/weight/space against probability of need/use. Can’t have it all.

Heater T’s are a must, good call doing that first. Also the new battery should give you peace of mind. Also making sure the brakes are safe. 👍 One thing I’d make sure I had is some sort of sleeping setup. A lot of us love sleeping in our trucks.

And if you don’t have one already, maybe the most important thing: MINIMUM one easily accessible fire extinguisher!

Otherwise just go have fun, explore as much as possible, and enjoy doing it in one of the most reliable, comfortable, and capable vehicles ever built!

I left DC, went to Sw Va, to New Orleans to Pensacola and came back to DC, stayed a day... had a flat on the way back to DC... got a new tire, drove straight to Osh Kosh Wi and a few days later came back. I needed windshield wipers

I agree with the poster above that it’s only 1800 miles. Any well maintained vehicle can do this with no problems. If it’s not well maintained, a baseline

I like a very clean car, and especially for trips. It makes the trip “luxurious” when it smells nice and is “shiny”

If the truck is maintained, just check all fluids, tires, and fill it up and go. Then add cash, keys, and sunglasses. You can never prepare for a random occurrence and that is what the cash is for.

lastly, maybe you have a nagging switch or creak or squeak. Those are the little things that make a difference to the ease of the drive.

fuel costs aside I wouldn’t want to drive anything else cross-country.
My E60 M5 6mt was a much, much better highway road trip car than my LX. Quieter, more comfy, (slightly) better fuel mileage, better stereo. I won't even mention the potential average cruising speed that doesn't stress the vehicle.

I think it’s all about priorities, and how much responsibility you’re carrying on your shoulders.
Single, no kids. Kitchen/garage rebuilt engine cross sanding the cylinders of a 1600 cc 1971 vw bus by hand with a used 320 grit wall sand paper, sealing with some 5 yo gasgasinch and putting it together before a 3000 mi trip leaving at night without anymore than a few bucks for gas.. some used tires and a used mattress..
Now. Kids, wife. I wouldn’t leave the safety of my garage without spendings a fortune on tires, baseline, synthetic this or that, spare parts to maintain the red army offensive line..
I think the question is: how important it is for you to be at base that day? Can you spare a day or two?

Btw, that 1600 vw engine is still puffing..20 yrs later.

Just did 3900 miles Tahoe to Florida without worrying about the truck. Anything can happen, we’re talking about mechanical equipment after all, but fuel costs aside I wouldn’t want to drive anything else cross-country. And I have probably 10 times already, but this was the first I’ve done it in the Lex, and it was a dream.

Lots of good opinions on here already. You just have to weigh cost/weight/space against probability of need/use. Can’t have it all.

Heater T’s are a must, good call doing that first. Also the new battery should give you peace of mind. Also making sure the brakes are safe. 👍 One thing I’d make sure I had is some sort of sleeping setup. A lot of us love sleeping in our trucks.

And if you don’t have one already, maybe the most important thing: MINIMUM one easily accessible fire extinguisher!

Otherwise just go have fun, explore as much as possible, and enjoy doing it in one of the most reliable, comfortable, and capable vehicles ever built!

Totally agree and this site has been amazing for getting that balance of "anything can happen" vs "this is worth fixing/having on hand." Heater T's being a great example.

Fire Extinguisher! Since we'll have the back mostly filled with 'life' for the 4 month stay in JT, stopping a full on inferno feels like a thing I should've thought about already.

As much as I'd like to bolt on an awning to the roof rack, it's had to fall down the priority list even though camping some of the way out there would be amazing. @FxFormat's pics aren't helping the FOMO in that department at all!

You need:

Sunflower seeds
Spit Cup
Good tunes
Quality Wiper Fluid

...Nothing more.

Seriously, all I really carry as spares for the 100 (both trail and hwy) are:

Igniter Coil pack
Serpentine Belt
Spare Lug Nut and wheel stud

You're stateside man, there's an auto parts store everywhere. If they don't have the part you need, they can get it and you can try all the BBQ joints in town till it shows... win win.

Enjoy the ride.

ham radio. seriously, all this effort into maintaining our rigs and hardly anyone goes through the process to get ham license. Best source of communication in an emergency, lots of dead cell coverage out here in the west if you plan to explore off i10 at all.

Otherwise... coil pack, obd2, serp belt, rad hose or two, gal of coolant, some water, there's not much else unless you want to get real hardcore.

We will be doing a similar trip on Friday. Approximately the same mileage, it will span to Sequoia Nat’l Park, Kings Canyon, Reno NV, Lake Tahoe, Virginia City NV, Carson City NV, Sacramento CA, SFO, San Diego and back home here in LV. To PO, I am as excited as you are at this point prepping everything. I added my battery jump starter/charger on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom