Go Long! Any advice for a cross-country drive in the Hundy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are lot's of threads asking this same thing, but I couldn't find one that covered the "not required but good to do if you want to be 100%." Pandemic being what it is, I'd prefer to be a bit overly cautious ahead of time to avoid a breakdown and lose access to my big, beautiful V8 escape pod.

I'll be putting up 1,800 miles on the odometer this January going from TN to Joshua Tree, CA to spend the winter in the desert. LC's have a reputation as reliable for a reason, but an 18yr old truck is still 18 years old. Anyone have a more paranoid checklist for a long road trip? We're still working out the route and itinerary so happy to take any recs for things to see along the way too.

What I've done/planning to do:
- heater T's
- MAF clean
- New filter
- T-9/Rust/Undercarriage
- Racing flames to improve MPG
Coolant flush
- New Battery & Starter
- Beefed up tools/first aid kit/ etc...
- Break pads
- Breaklight Fluid Swap

I would say outside of that get yourself a small OBDII scanner and keep it in the truck for those "just in case" moments.
- Have the tires checked to make sure there are no issues with them and they are in good shape.
- If you are close to it, do an oil change right before the trip to ensure fluids are good.
- Grease driveshaft points since they will be doing lots of turning
- Check that all lights are working properly and/or replace bulbs
- Have a good route planned so that you can make emergency stops that are not in a cell service dead zone or in the middle of nowhere
- I usually like to keep a tanks worth of gas, in cash, hidden in the truck for those spots where they DON'T take card

I believe it was @ramangain that just did a similar trip from the east coast to Oregon. Maybe he will have some pointers too.

Have you seen issues with the lugs backing off a bit?
Yes I have seen lots of those. And basing from the feedback of the owners, the common denominator from their answers is they haven’t checked it for a long time and/or someone or a shop usually takes care of their cars (including their wheels). From how I see it it can either just be the nuts are inadequately torqued (not tight enough) or it is over-torqued causing premature bolt failure.

-Check oil levels in your diffs/tcase(bring an extra qt or two just in case)
-Trans service
-Load test alternator
-Get a jump pack, I have one that also has a small air compressor in it from Dewalt and it's great. Works nice for airing back up after a dirt road, and you can charge it back up as you go down the highway.
-Check tire pressure in your spare
-Get an alignment(will help with tire wear on the highway and they'll let you know if any of your steering/suspension parts are worn)
-Come along, tow strap, shackle etc.
-I carry a small Garmin GPS that I can text through GPS with. Out west there are a lot of big areas with no cell service, so it is nice peace of mind for when I find an old two track that doesn't look like anyone has been down it in a decade. The GPS won't call a tow truck for me, but I can text my coordinates to my brother and he can figure it out from there.

Have fun! I've driven cross country a few times in my Tacoma and always had a blast despite it being super uncomfortable for long trips...wish I had the 100 back then!

Your list looks pretty good. Also some things I take with me are a tool box with basic hand tools, but specifically:

basic socket set
breaker bar
22mm socket
24mm socket
30mm socket
axle nut socket (54mm?)
Multimeter
cheap OBD reader
electrical tape
ZIP TIES

I'd take a spare coil pack for sure, I've already helped a guy out with a failed one once before and it is easy to swap.
Tire plug kit.
Some wires and fuses in case you get the "no start" condition from the EFI fuse so you can bypass it
Jump starter/air compressor
jumper cables
recovery strap and shackles

May want to check spark plug tightness before leaving.

Carry an extra coil pack. you never know when they are gonna fail, but when they do, its like a 5 min swap.

Check for play in the front wheel bearings while you're messing with the brakes.

Double check your radiator for leaks, running for long periods of time has an annoying habit of expanding leaks. Buy new wiper blades for the trip and make sure you're running winter wiper fluid. Carry extra fuses (or if you want an easy solution, buy the 100 series fuse kit from Wits End).

If your 100 series isn't new to you and you've already baselined it, I would feel VERY confident making that drive, a lot more confident than I would in an 18-yr old car of ANY OTHER make! :)

I'd double check the wheel bearings and also flush the tranny fluid. Wiper blades. A stereo upgrade if you have the time and can afford it. If you are into military history from the human (suffering) aspect side of it, download some Dan Carlin podcast series. The WW1 and Mongol series should get your across the country with ease.

when was the last time your water pump and fan clutch were replaced or checked? I actually broke down in Green River, Utah moving from NC. The bearings went out in the (s*** can't remember part name) and it ended up breaking a lobe off my fan. This after I asked Toyota in NC to check it.

Safe travels!

-Check oil levels in your diffs/tcase(bring an extra qt or two just in case)
-Trans service
-Load test alternator
-Get a jump pack, I have one that also has a small air compressor in it from Dewalt and it's great. Works nice for airing back up after a dirt road, and you can charge it back up as you go down the highway.
-Check tire pressure in your spare
-Get an alignment(will help with tire wear on the highway and they'll let you know if any of your steering/suspension parts are worn)
-Come along, tow strap, shackle etc.
-I carry a small Garmin GPS that I can text through GPS with. Out west there are a lot of big areas with no cell service, so it is nice peace of mind for when I find an old two track that doesn't look like anyone has been down it in a decade. The GPS won't call a tow truck for me, but I can text my coordinates to my brother and he can figure it out from there.

Have fun! I've driven cross country a few times in my Tacoma and always had a blast despite it being super uncomfortable for long trips...wish I had the 100 back then!

Great thanks! I'll add these to the list.

I agree on the jump pack. After waiting on a dirt road in rural New Hampshire for 2 hours for a jump, I picked up one and it's already come in handy. That reminds me, I need to sort out why the Dome-Door-Off toggle doesn't work when clicked to door.

A GPS makes sense. I've been looking into signal boosters. but if there's zero signal, that ain't going to do much.

Your list looks pretty good. Also some things I take with me are a tool box with basic hand tools, but specifically:

basic socket set
breaker bar
22mm socket
24mm socket
30mm socket
axle nut socket (54mm?)
Multimeter
cheap OBD reader
electrical tape
ZIP TIES

I'd take a spare coil pack for sure, I've already helped a guy out with a failed one once before and it is easy to swap.
Tire plug kit.
Some wires and fuses in case you get the "no start" condition from the EFI fuse so you can bypass it
jumper cables

Thanks for detailing out the tools. I can check off most but not all (breaker, spark plugs, coil pack) which is the thing I was trying to do.

The FSMs that folks have digitized and uploaded are also going into my kindle which isn't the same as having the paper version but still worth doing. If anyone wants the mobi/epub file, shoot me a DM.

I'll drop all of these into a G-doc to hopefully save you and everyone else the trouble of having to list this stuff out in the future.

Thanks for detailing out the tools. I can check off most but not all (breaker, spark plugs, coil pack) which is the thing I was trying to do.

The FSMs that folks have digitized and uploaded are also going into my kindle which isn't the same as having the paper version but still worth doing. If anyone wants the mobi/epub file, shoot me a DM.

I'll drop all of these into a G-doc to hopefully save you and everyone else the trouble of having to list this stuff out in the future.

I know some would think the breaker bar is overkill, but if you need to break something loose it is worth the weight. I used it to get a cross threaded lug nut off, and help set a new one when on a trip. I also needed it to pull my drive shaft bolts the first time I did it, so if you run any trails and break something and need to pull a drive shaft it would definitely help.

Carry the updated Ignition cylinder rod/bracket # 45280-60510. This is a known problem in the older LX470/LC100. Not sure what year it changed, but the new design addresses it.

I've driven all over the Western US and one summer had the ignition rod break in the middle of nowhere in Southern UT. It was a nightmare. It's a factory part. If you have it you could try to fix yourself or have a small shop install. You can't get it at NAPA, etc... I didn't know this when it first broke and basically got yanked around for days by a small shop and ultimately had my LX towed 200+ miles to a Lexus dealer who fixed it right away.

It's one of those things that totally screws you if it happens at the wrong place and time, which mine definitely did!

+1 on the coil pack too. I always have a spare in the car.

basic socket set
breaker bar
22mm socket
24mm socket
30mm socket
axle nut socket (54mm?)
Multimeter
cheap OBD reader
electrical tape
ZIP TIES

Tire plug kit.
jumper cables

Add a brass hammer (for cone washers) and a 2.5lb hammer (for breaking ball joints) to this list and you have everything you need to pull driveshaft and CVs if you ever blow the front diff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom