Go for it or bad idea? Purchase advice on an LX with misfire code. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have the opportunity to purchase a 200k mile 2014 LX that has been well cared for and is mint condition with one big problem. A misfire on cold start up only on 1 cylinder. Vehicle has had about 18k in Maintenance or repair in the last 2 years as previous owner spared no expense. Last 2 months has had randomly a misfire on cold start that goes away after turning off vehicle then restarting. Confirmed plugs have been replaced, coil as well and then head gasket was replaced which looks to have been a misdiagnosis. All repairs have not fixed the misfire and now I have the opportunity to purchase for 19k which is not negotiable. If I don't purchase it is going to go to auction. I'm a body on frame Toyota/Lexus fan boy and love reviving these things. It's a large gamble on something that could be minor and was overlooked or could be something catastrophic waiting to happen.
Question is do I take a chance on it or pass?

Could be worth the gamble if the problem is intermittent and only when cold. That would indicate that it’s not a bent or burnt up valve. If you have truly ruled out plugs and coils, and they've already replaced the head gasket, you’re down to dirty or faulty, fuel injector or computer.

Thanks. That's kinda my thoughts as well. Or possibly a broken valve spring that hasn't exploded yet. I've seen others near the price range but usually older, way more rusty and in need of baselining which can be costly.

I had a 200k mile 2010 LC with a misfire code - turned out to be water in the cylinder and a blown head gasket. That's a $12k fix around here if you pay to have it done. Proceed carefully.

Have the opportunity to purchase a 200k mile 2014 LX that has been well cared for and is mint condition with one big problem. A misfire on cold start up only on 1 cylinder. Vehicle has had about 18k in Maintenance or repair in the last 2 years as previous owner spared no expense. Last 2 months has had randomly a misfire on cold start that goes away after turning off vehicle then restarting. Confirmed plugs have been replaced, coil as well and then head gasket was replaced which looks to have been a misdiagnosis. All repairs have not fixed the misfire and now I have the opportunity to purchase for 19k which is not negotiable. If I don't purchase it is going to go to auction. I'm a body on frame Toyota/Lexus fan boy and love reviving these things. It's a large gamble on something that could be minor and was overlooked or could be something catastrophic waiting to happen.
In my mind a misfire code could mean engine failure is imminent. I think there eeee a couple examples of this on MUD recently. Figure on $12k and 2 months of truck downtime. Maybe ask the dealer for a 1 year unlimited mile’s warranty on the engine.

Specifically, what codes are bring thrown? And what other symptoms exist (water or oil consumption, rough idle, etc). There's a lot missing here before any kind of advice can be provided.

Literally one code: misfire on cylinder 1. Only happens on cold start then goes away after a few minutes. First post details what was done leading up to this. It is an immaculate vehicle and I know I could source an 08 or 09 for close to this price but any other will need a lot of baselining performed. Has been happening on and off for 2 months. Rough idle when code is set but no other symptoms really. Was never even coolant in oil or coolant in cylinders when head gasket was done to attempt to alleviate the code.

This could easily be a faulty injector that frees up once some heat gets into it - which should have been tested before a shop suggested a HG replacement. If the only info you have is what is provided in post #1, then this is a big gamble at that price point as there's a lot in the TS tree (like swap coils 1 and 2, and then swap injectors 1 and 2, etc) to be completed before a HG replacement.

As an aside...misfire codes are beyond common and are rarely attached to engines that fail prematurely.

Last edited:
I'd love to have a deal like that, where I'd pull the engine and completely rebuild it. But, I like that kinda thing.

I would keep looking.
One minute search:

03E4A65C-0F90-439B-B3E9-7D408D75D15D.png

Sounds like the seller is willing to work with you. Why not swap the injector and see if it resolves? Or get a three day return on purchase and do it during the return period.

I had a misfire and it was a single bad coil pack. There have been two or three recent engine failures (one due to failed valve spring), which I think has amplified concern around doomed 3URs. Not saying it hasn't happened, but statistically insignificant.

My work truck took a crap a few weeks ago and I had two days to replace it. I bought an 08 crewmax with 188k for 15k with the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. On test drive it ran and shifted as good as my LX, so I took a chance. A maf and new air filter later that day, and the truck has has been flawless ever since.

If I wasn't willing to turn wrenches on any and everything I own(i.e. a broke MFer), I would never buy a vehicle with a known issue.

I agree with all above as far as my thinking goes. The broken valve springs have been popping up more on the Tundras which is what is scaring me a bit. But also it obviously hasn't dropped a valve yet if that's what it actually is and could be remedied before failure. I'd love to swap injectors, and am going g to talk more with then today to see if they'll let me poke around a bit.

I would start with a proper leakdown test PRIOR to purchase, see if that tells you anything.

I'll throw my bet in the coil pack camp, but if you want to buy it, it might be worth taking it in for an inspection, leakdown test, coil test, diagnosis first. Nobody wants you to buy a truck and end up needing to rip down the top end before you have any fun. I can't think of a reason that you wouldn't want to get a diagnosis on it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom