GMRS Antenna Location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s time to mount my antenna for my GMRS radio and I’m looking for ideas. I have one of those stubby midland units. Where have you guys put yours? Pics would be appreciated.

I’m currently thinking building a mount to use 2 of the hood hinge bolts or maybe a side mount right below the hood.

8B556064-6C44-4A79-8D6C-04AF496BA01D.jpeg

0F2C6F0C-8B96-4C6B-8717-52842E179937.jpeg

It’s time to mount my antenna for my GMRS radio and I’m looking for ideas. I have one of those stubby midland units. Where have you guys put yours? Pics would be appreciated.

I’m currently thinking building a mount to use 2 of the hood hinge bolts or maybe a side mount right below the hood.

View attachment 3245296

View attachment 3245297
I’m assuming it isn’t magnetic like some Midland antennas?

if you drill a single hole in that green paint anywhere everybody will notice it ......

Make a bracket that sits on the apron edge under the hood edge. You could potentially make it clamp on the lip of the apron (under the hood) and not drill any holes.

Similar to the pic below.

frontantennamount-6.jpg

Not sure on the range / direction you need but image is antenna mount position and the corresponding loss in transmission function. Antenna is a transmitter AND receiver so any metal has some effect. Seems most people look for cosmetic appearance vs function. Perhaps mount where you want and see if range / direction works for you.

Antenna.PNG

I just mounted mine here.

I don't think this is the best spot, but it'll work. I think.

That antenna needs to be grounded. I'm not sure how good of a ground I'll be getting through the swing out.

20230121_104420.jpg

I just mounted mine here.

I don't think this is the best spot, but it'll work. I think.

That antenna needs to be grounded. I'm not sure how good of a ground I'll be getting through the swing out.

View attachment 3246313

That's where I put my 2 meter ham antenna. I had the same concerns for grounding as you, so I ran a braided bonding strap from the pivot arm to a door hinge bolt in the tub. Mine works well enough for trail purposes.

It'd be easy enough to add a ground for sure.

Here is what I came up with. I went with the Wouxun KG100g plus. Mostly because of the detachable face but it also had some good reviews on YouTube. I mounted the actual radio in the box below the driver seat. We will see if i can hear the speaker from under the seat or if i need an external speaker.

To mount to antenna I used the bracket that came with the antenna. It was meant to mount to a roll bar or something like that and had a 90 degree bend in it. I cut a chunk out of it and welded it back straight without the bend. I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

40D63E22-26D6-4CEB-A561-69B91573C0B3.jpeg

85150ACC-3B87-42F1-8F22-3550E7C6A490.jpeg

AE4B56BD-F402-4787-9CCB-9F02FA74DB3A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom