GM POwer steering to Jeep gear Box??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.unemployedfilms.com
I am looking for some help and have run short on time. I have a 1972 Toyota FJ40 w/ a 350 chevy. The gear box was wrecked and I was told to get a Jeep J10 gear box. Did that and now I have the problem of having different connectors, i have the Jeep gear box with a GM power steering hoses. Where can I find what I am looking for, or could someone tell me what I should do, I've called Autozone and Napa and they were no help on this problem. Thank you, John. :confused:

Where can I find what I am looking for,

Lots of shops will make you a powersteering hose with whatever ends you want and to whatever length you need...even some Napa stores can make them.
...and didn't that jeepbox used to be attached to a GM pump? I thought just about all US vehicles came with the Saginaw pump? and there's only, like, two different fittings, depending on year, so if one end doesn't fit, it's probably the other.

if it was me, I'd grab the rest of the steering stuff off that Jeep. As mentioned, they used GM gear. And there ARE only two styles of fittings.

So as i understand it I have an early 80s pump and a 77 gearbox. The jeep that i have the gear box from is no longer accessible. So I need to bring the hose to a shop and have them put the fittings on. The fittings are flared on the gear box and an O-ring on the pump. Does this make sense? Again thanks to all for their help.

My Saginaw box is from a 94 YJ Wrangler and my pump is from a 1985 Camaro (came with the engine). I went to the pick n pull an pulled hoses and coolers from several vehicles.

Mix and match and take the rest back, got $4 back :hillbilly:

Seriously, 90% of pre-90 American models used the same fittings and pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom