GM HEI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lcwizard

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.4plusproducts.com
For those of you old school builders , GM is discontinuing the legendary HEI , large body, and is at a deep discount at GM. If you're
tired of the low quality import knock offs this might be worth picking up to set on the shelf or swap in

For those of you old school builders , GM is discontinuing the legendary HEI , large body, and is at a deep discount at GM. If you're
tired of the low quality import knock offs this might be worth picking up to set on the shelf or swap in

That is sad. I loved the simplicity of the HEI on my 350. I did go through a couple knock offs, but some of that was a grounding issue to. Once it was set and the quadrajet was happy, that thing screened at any angle.

Do you know enough about these to say if this would work in ANY GM305/327/350 block? I have an unknown displacement SBC with an early multiport Howell EFI kit on it. I have a known issue with my distributor that once the engine get to temp for a bit, I lose spark until it cools down. I have parts to throw a the distributor, but this would likely be a much better solution if it would work for me.

Do you know enough about these to say if this would work in ANY GM305/327/350 block? I have an unknown displacement SBC with an early multiport Howell EFI kit on it. I have a known issue with my distributor that once the engine get to temp for a bit, I lose spark until it cools down. I have parts to throw a the distributor, but this would likely be a much better solution if it would work for me.
All you need to do is replace the module inside the distributor. I had a '75 Camaro that developed the same issue. Turned out that the module inside had a trace that fractured and when it got warm it would open and you'd be dead in the water. After it cooled down it would fire and run just fine as the circuit board trace would make contact when cool. I replaced the module and no more issues. A lot easier fix and a lot less money than a whole new distributor.

All you need to do is replace the module inside the distributor. I had a '75 Camaro that developed the same issue. Turned out that the module inside had a trace that fractured and when it got warm it would open and you'd be dead in the water. After it cooled down it would fire and run just fine as the circuit board trace would make contact when cool. I replaced the module and no more issues.
I replaced the module, coil, cap, and rotor and still having the issue. The one thing left to replace is the coil pickup in the distributor then the body itself. If I mildly put downward pressure on the two plug wire caps closest to the firewall with my thumb, it kills the engine. Hold down bolt is tight, cap is tight, and plug wires are fully engaged.

I replaced the module, coil, cap, and rotor and still having the issue. The one thing left to replace is the coil pickup in the distributor then the body itself. If I mildly put downward pressure on the two plug wire caps closest to the firewall with my thumb, it kills the engine. Hold down bolt is tight, cap is tight, and plug wires are fully engaged.

The only module I know of is the one inside the distributor.

module.jpg

The part on the left. Don't forget to put the heat sink paste under it when mounting.

The only module I know of is the one inside the distributor.

module.jpg

The part on the left. Don't forget to put the heat sink paste under it when mounting.
Yes, I replaced that part (module). I did use one from O'reilleys out of convenience. Should probably order an AC Delco one. I had less than 100 miles on new module and my electrical issues started again, leading me to believe it's not the module. I have a new AC delco pickup coil to install next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom