Gm alternator question - what did you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finishing hooking up my TBI and am wiring my alternator. I have a couple questions. I'll start by saying its a three wire alt with batt, red wire, and brown wire. I've deduced that on the stock wiring harness White with blue stripe goes to the batt on alt and the red (terminal 2) gets jumped to the batt and terminal 1 (brown wire) is hooked to the black with yellow wire at the fuse block for the ignition 12v. Now the questions:

1. The white with blue wire is a little small (guessing 10 gauge) for the increased amperage GM alt. If I don't use it and run a 6 or 8 gauge wire direct to start will it cause anything not to work? I know theres a white/blue wire at the fuse panel. Or would you just run the smaller wire?

2. The brown excite wire requires a resistor (usually a light). In your experience will it work without the light hooked straight to 12v ignition (and if you wired in a light, where did you put it?)

If we are talking about the same brown wire (from the load side of the ignition switch), I used a 1N5408 diode (white band towards the alt).

After about 20yrs I updated my wiring. The thing I did care for the Land Cruiser wiring is that white & blue wire. I've smoked that wire in the past from bad grounds or whatever. It can fry the harness. That Blue/White wire goes thru the whole harness to get to the AMP meter and then goes to the bat. I ran a heavier(IIR 6gauge) wire straight to the bat along with the sensing wire & added a light. similar to this.

http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/wiring_alternator1.html

If you do this the AMP meter will not work right. I disconnected the AMP meter wires and connected those 2 wires together. I also cleaned & added some grounds connections. If you use the search function on this site you will find all the info you need.

Last edited:
pb4ugo -

Thanx for the reply, it did help. Also I searched for several hours trying to find the specific info. reddingcruiser's tip on the exact diode number helps a ton. While I know converting to a GM alternator is an often asked topic, I didn't think my specific questions were.

For those who wired in a light, where did you put it? I don't want to drill any holes in the dash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom