GM 6.5 TD & NV4500 fj60 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
New guy here, 2nd post. 1985 fj60.
Because of the Ca swap rules, I have decided to go with a GM 6.5 TD. My only other option would have been a Mercedes or a VW. Neither of which appealed to me for several reasons. To that end, I have picked up a 96 Chevy 3500 HD with a freshly rebuilt 6.5 TD AND a NV4500 tranny as my donor vehicle.
I plan to use put both motor & tranny (and various other parts) in the fj60 & convert the 6.5 to a mechanical injection system. My question to you guys is, have any of you done this exact or similar swap or know of a thread you can send me a link to? I've tried countless "searches" to no avail (I believe the search tool can be improved). I'd like to avoid "recreating the wheel" & pick up some pointers on issues you ran into. I.e. was a body lift needed to fit NV4500? How much suspension lift did you go with? What were the unexpected issues you ran into, etc?
Thanks for all the input. I'll post updates as we get the swap going.
Thank you!

I did a 6.2/NV4500 swap
http://mysite.verizon.net/sbutman1/LC.html
No body lift is required. You can even get by w/o a suspension lift. I drove mine around for a while with no lift at all. The diff tapped the oil pan a few times on severe bumps. With a 2 1/2" OME lift never had a problem.

The NV4500's shifter sits far back on the tranny which makes for an easy install. The engine can be put wherever you want it without having to worry about the shifter being in the heater box.

A Wilwood 3/4" master cyl works well as a clutch master. for the internal slave. The Land Cruiser clutch master is about 3/4" bore also, but lacks the travel.

The 4911 mechanical turbo pumps can be hard to find. Any 2831 injection pump will work and flow the same with some minor adjustment. You can get a military 2831 pump, even from a non turbo application, change the 24volt solenoid with a 12 volt one and turn the screw and save some $$.

It will be a nice drive train combo
I look forward to seeing your updates!

FL Cruiser, all I can say is "wow"! You have provided a plethora of information in your reply & the link you provided is priceless. As I see it, you have saved me countless hours, $$ and frustration. Down to part numbers even. Thank you very much! I owe you a beverage of your choice :)

I was always under the impression that (according to CARB) the donor engine had to come from a similar class vehicle, and not just one that was offered in one. We did a conversion into an 80 series, and had to find a 1/2 ton GMC truck for the donor engine, because it had the light duty pump and EGR, etc. We also had to install the CAT, which was not the same in 1/2 ton vs 3/4 or 1 ton.

FL Cruisers website has tons of info, and was actually really helpful when I did my first 6.2 conversion out of my house many many years ago :beer:

Torfab, in CA the donor motor must come out of a vehicle with "equal" (or maybe similar) GVW of recipient vehicle year or newer. That left me with really only one option & that is the 6.2 /6.5 GM diesel because they put that in the 1500 series GM trucks & Chevy blazers, which is considered a passenger vehicle with a GVW under 9,999. And yes, you can use any 6.5/6.2, the motor doesn't have to come out of similar GVW vehicle, any vehicle with a 6.5/6.2 will work, as long as the motor was put in at least one "passenger" vehicle from the factory for the years specified. Now if you take the time to read the plethora of forums on how to do this in Ca, you will get as many answers. I'm telling you what my new best friend (smog referee) is telling me. Heck, I even called the state & they told me it was illegal & not possible. Morons. The other thing to keep in mind, is that you have to install it as it was in the vehicle you pulled it out of. No funky aftermarket add-ons, must have stock exhaust, etc. I even heard of some guys getting rejected because the tranny wasn't "stock" for that year. What you do later is up to you, your budget, & moral compass. I highly recommend contacting a smog referee and touching base with him throughout your project just to make sure you are following the rules & not wasting money & time. Besides, it helps to have friends in smoggy places. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom