gm 4.3 tbi chip for 2f motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Mike, just noticed that you left a note.
I plan on going on a ride on the 24th, I will do another mpg test. and get back to you.
As for the 78-87 Distributer availability, Downey details the rework of this Dizzy in there installation instructions.
So who you going to believe? Maybe a call to Jim Sickles, formerly of Downey Off Road, or a Toyota Parts Dept. might help.

Just about anyone that claims almost 18mpg reliably out of a f series motor is feeding you something.

Also, you have multiple links in this thread of people that can reburn your chip. THIS is why it gets so frustrating that you start so many threads on the same subject.

Also, there is not a 78-87 Distributor. There were at least two variations of fully electronic Distributors for that time frame that I am aware of.

I think I posted this link on one of your threads.
http://www.tomquinn.com/lc/2f_fi/
Hey Mace- Point taken. guess 18 is pretty hard to get on one of these. I did my distributor the same way Tom Quinn did his, looked at his illustration as I was doing it. I know a guy here in okla. who rides with you with his laptop and tunes that way. Hopefully he can get it dialed in for me. thanks for getting back to me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Mike, just noticed that you left a note.
I plan on going on a ride on the 24th, I will do another mpg test. and get back to you.
As for the 78-87 Distributer availability, Downey details the rework of this Dizzy in there installation instructions.
So who you going to believe? Maybe a call to Jim Sickles, formerly of Downey Off Road, or a Toyota Parts Dept. might help.
Hey, great! Yeah, I modified distributor per Downey's instructions and please let me know after you take that trip. That would help. Lots of folks say different things and I don't want to discredit anyone, just trying to sort it all out, but I believe what you are telling me. Thanks again.

Tuning for your motor is the idea for mileage. There are significant differences in fuel requirements between the 4.3 an a cruiser six.

Hey Mace- Point taken. guess 18 is pretty hard to get on one of these. I did my distributor the same way Tom Quinn did his, looked at his illustration as I was doing it. I know a guy here in okla. who rides with you with his laptop and tunes that way. Hopefully he can get it dialed in for me. thanks for getting back to me. I'll let you know how it goes.
I get 16mpg with 35s at 70mph with no overdrive gear. Coming back from moab I fill up in fruita co. And don't fill up again until Georgetown with my stock tank. 18 is possible, but u would need an expert tuner, also what speed your going makes a difference. Maybe I can get 18 if I go 55mph...hmm maybe I should try :)

Tuning for your motor is the idea for mileage. There are significant differences in fuel requirements between the 4.3 an a cruiser six.
Hi Mace, I'd like to no more about this because you are feeding almost identical cubes??? Does Cam and Valve size in the 4.3 require more or less fuel???

Sure thing Jim. Cubic inches is just the starting point. Cam, valves,combustion chamber design, compression ratio, bore vs stroke, rpm range all impact how much fuel is required. That's benefit of fuel injection. It can optimize fuel delivery vs a carb that has is not nearly as adjustable...

I get 16mpg with 35s at 70mph with no overdrive gear. Coming back from moab I fill up in fruita co. And don't fill up again until Georgetown with my stock tank. 18 is possible, but u would need an expert tuner, also what speed your going makes a difference. Maybe I can get 18 if I go 55mph...hmm maybe I should try :)
Hey white stripe- that's pretty darn good. I imagine your chip was tuned by someone who knew his stuff. I've tried 3 chips and they all run rich. maybe that's the way it goes, I don't know. i'm going to check out my o2 sensor though. thanks for your input. all you guys help a lot.

Gosh, I think I've stated this several times here on Mud, but by golly I'll do it again. Howell Engineering burnt several chips for us (Downey) over a two year period back when we were trying to get the Landcruiser TBI system smog legal. The Federal Testing Lab that was doing our testing found that a bone stock 4.3 Auto Trans. chip worked the best on several levels (performance, milage, emissions).

Well gosh.. what did they base these reburned chips on?

And what year was this?

Hi all,

I read this whole thread with a lot of interest. Do *any* of these custom TBI chips allow a 2F to idle like it is suppose to? (i.e. 650 - 700 RPM.)
The is the major issue I have with the TBI set-up I have in my 40.

Regards,

Alan

Hey guys- I'm sure all of you know a lot more about this than I do, and I appreciate everyone's input. my 40 runs way better than it used to with a carb. pretty amazing. also, my plugs aren't fouled. but my tailpipe is just black on the inside and you can't stand to smell it, super rich. remember the guy who was getting 10 and then got 17 mpg with tbi but had a boatload of problems? took him 6 months to get it done where all was ok? came down to broken wires in his salvage yard harness. feel for him. anyway, according to him he had a big increase even with all those problems and that's one thing that's throwing me. just doesn't make sense. so, i'm off to the parts house for another 3 wire o2 sensor to see if that helps. may not be my problem, but I guess i'll give them $45 and find out. let ya'll know. appreciate all you guys help.

Hi all,

I read this whole thread with a lot of interest. Do *any* of these custom TBI chips allow a 2F to idle like it is suppose to? (i.e. 650 - 700 RPM.)
The is the major issue I have with the TBI set-up I have in my 40.

Regards,

Alan
Mine idles at around that rpm yes. A speed sensor is important in achieving good idle and its easy to wire one in if you don't. If you send me a chip and 20 bucks I guess I could burn you one of my programs, but I am a amatuer at programming. I can set the idle at whatever you want and then you use the idle screw to fine tune it. I have the ignition controlled too by the ecm which helps with mileage also. Or I could just email you a program if you have a burner.

Hi all,

Thanks White Stripe for this offer, I may take you up on it. I am attempting to download data from the ECM to provide to a semi-local FI guru.
So far have not been successful in the date download, so trying to troubleshoot that.

Regards,

Alan

Mine idles at around that rpm yes. A speed sensor is important in achieving good idle and its easy to wire one in if you don't. If you send me a chip and 20 bucks I guess I could burn you one of my programs, but I am a amatuer at programming. I can set the idle at whatever you want and then you use the idle screw to fine tune it. I have the ignition controlled too by the ecm which helps with mileage also. Or I could just email you a program if you have a burner.

Well gosh.. what did they base these reburned chips on?

And what year was this?
This was back in the late 1990's (1997-98 as I recall). I can't answer anything about what Howell did, none of it worked, we had to rethink everything after Howells involvement. Home run was working with the guys at the Fed. Testing Lab, didn't get smog legal, but sure got the system dialed in (never could pass the cold start test, not even close).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom