GM 1 wire alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

djawahir

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
battlebalm.com
I'm doing a V8 swap and I'm using a GM 1-wire alternator. I've figured out what 2 of the three wires in the original FJ60 do.

I've got a question about what I should do with one of the wires from the original FJ60 setup.

1- black/yellow stripe - I know this is the ignition wire. I don't need to hook this one up to anything.

2 - White - This one goes to the new GM alternator.

3 - Yellow/white stripe - I don't know what to do with this wire or what it even does.

Can anyone tell me what to do with the yellow/white stripe wire? What does it do in the system?

Thanks!

I've got a one wire on mine.... I'll look at it tomorrow and give you some feedback. My engine is 1999 5.7 Vortec. Be careful before you go swapping wires... you'll be buying a fusable link like I did, after the smoke escaped from the OEM one.

Can you do one of these GM one wire on a FJ80 with a 3FE???:hmm:

I've been running a one-wire GM alt for the last seven years. I don't recall using any of the original wires, but went straight to the battery bypassing all the original stuff. Then you know you got it right with a good heavy gauge wire.

I use a gm one wire as a second alt with a second battery. I run it straight to the battery as well

For the guys that are running the gm 1-wire direct to the battery, do your gauges work? I mean does the voltmeter in the dash work? Any gauges not working in this setup?

I ran a new gauge for the alt. New oil and water gauge also. The factory ones are worthless. The first mod you should do is add mechanical gauges.

Heres mine.

IMG_2311.jpg

Mines on my 2F but the wiring is the same. 1 heavy guage wire (4 IIRC) and that's it. You have to wind it up to about 2 grand for it to initially phase but it's good after that.

I wrapped the factory wires and tucked them into the fender "just in case"

one wire

Ok,

Here is a few pics of mine... pardon the "rats nest of wiring" , I've still not gotten around to fixing all that up nice and clean.

Like one of the posts above...

I have a dual post battery and a single wire GM 140 Amp Alternator. The stock battery cables still connect to the top posts of the battery, thereby feeding power to the truck. I have a large single wire that runs from the alternator directly to the battery on one of the side posts. ALso you'll notice wires that power my fans and the radio crap.

No issues with gauges....(Facotry one anyway) I've not setup the factory oil pressure or temp, since I have an afermarket mechancial temp and voltmeter and will soon install a mechanical oil pressure aftermarket gauge too (autometer).

While the first pic is not that clear you can see the stud and the cable mounted at the lower part of the alternator.... I just went down to NAPA and got a heavy guage battery cable with two eyelets in the length I wanted. One single wire from the ALT to the battery. This is the larger 140 amp alternator.

Mud gets everywhere and I'm about to get started on the A/C working.
DSC00409.JPG
DSC00410.JPG
DSC00411.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom