Glow Plugs won't light in a 2h HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok before you impale me on a stake, I've searched and can't find a definitive answer to my question. I don't want to create a Wilson switch since I know that this system can work.

My HJ60 recently wouldn't light the glow-plug light in the ignition "on" position. It used to work and I recently (6 months ago) had the plugs all replaced. I thought the connector on the top of the engine was rotted, so I replaced it and checked the wiring...it all looks good. Problem is, I still don't get the light to light-up on the dash. In the FSM, it mentions replacing a fuseable link. Where is this? Is it a relay?...and if so, how do I reset it?

I've checked the fuses under the dash and both the "glow" and "engine" ones are fine. I've done everything but check for continuity on the connector (and this will help me trace the issue but not solve the problem).

What would be the reasons that the light on the dash would go out?

Anyhow outside of this, I know it is a glow-plug issue because I can still start the truck...just in cold weather it takes quite a few turns.

Thanks for any and all help!
-Joe

The fusible link is not a relay and can't be reset, once it goes it has to be replaced. For the most part it is a wire that burns out if you put too much load on it. Usually they are right next to the battery connection and for some reason I am remembering one in the glow system for my 3B, not sure if it is the same set up as your 2H but it was in a small plastic box similar to a fuse.

Are you sure the relay still works that supplies power to the plugs? If the relay is bad it has to be replaced there is no reset on it either. My relay started to die so I just yanked it all and now I have a complete manual set up including the shutdown cable (I know not what you want to do...)

Tony

Hey Tony,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Good to know about the relays. As for the fuse, I'll have to check the wiring out.

Ah, I just erased my original reply because I just understood what you meant by fuseable link. Hmmm very interesting, it makes sense and I think I have a few of those around the engine bay from what I've seen. I haven't opened any yet because the plastic looks brittle but if I trace the glow system to one or more, I'll check them out. That would make good sense because it sounds like the relay kicks in...I don't think the timer does, but who really knows. I'm sure the connector probably shorted out at some point or the battery overloaded by touching the rad causing another connection to come loose.

I'll investigate further into this. Thanks again.
-Joe

Hi,
My HJ did not glow because the plug below (next to edic motor) had a bad contact, when I pushed the thin wire into the plug everything was fine. watch out if you wiggle it with the contact on because the edic will also move!

Also the water coolant temp sensor conenction on top of the thermostat (next to the top of the fan) seems to be important.

file.php

If you check and clean the connections on the right side of the engine bay (opposite of alternator) these are the ones that switch the electricity to the plugs.

You can also hotwire <--(WAIT! http://www.hotwire.com/ MUD why are you so advertisement hungry, allmost kept me away, &$&|*! ads) the glowsystem by giving the relay 12v from one battery, thats what the previous owner did to my HJ. That way you bypass the glowsystem and switch the relay on but I am not sure how much volts it gives! (if it is 24V watch out for your new plugs!) :doh:
Test it please if you can because I am still wondering how the glowplug relay starts with 21 V and the normal releay can only switch on and of 24V and not regulate the volts. :hmm::bang::hmm:

I cleaned all the connections, replaced/cleaned broken battery clamp as glowing takes a lot of amps. Replaced 6 glowplugs.

The connection to the watertemp sensor near the alternator has to be perfect as it is a resistance system so to mesure it properly it needs a perfect connection. I realised that when after replacing the belts it was loose and would not glow anymore.

So When you unhook the temp switch it does not glow at all on my hj.
Quite stupid design if that is normal, it would be better that if there was a fault it would glow at every start like it does normally.

if you attach a 24 v light to the glow strap / bus bar and - battery you can see what is going on in the cabin.

The wiring for realtime glowplug light in cabin: (red wire from yellow cap (=glowplug) to cabin and - from battery)
(If you connect a wire to the yellow rad cap make sure the engine is cool :cheers:)
file.php

The magical light at 21V sunshine mode (try not to look at it while turning the key :cool:)

file.php

The light in sunset mode getting 13V :popcorn:
file.php

Last edited:
You should have fusible link for the glow plugs at the battery. Also, check if you get any voltage to your bus bar(that connect the glow plug together), it will be a good indication that something is wrong.

HJ60, I love your 24V light that shine!!

Thanks Biche, I should mention it as best mod under 50 dollar :D with the wheelchair 24V light buzzer :grinpimp:
The warning sticker comes from my kids toys:
me: Kids, daddy needs that sticker for the red car... please? :crybaby:
kids: no way we need it...:flipoff2:

But one picture wont show, try again:
>edit>Solved.

I am sorry I crashed the internet with large pictures :whoops: :ban:

Last edited:
....... because I am still wondering how the glowplug relay starts with 21 V and the normal releay can only switch on and of 24V and not regulate the volts. :hmm::bang::hmm:

Hi, just a bit of explanation.....
The relay does not lower or regulate the voltage. It's the glow circuit and the huge current draw (=voltage loss) that makes that there is +/- 21V left at the bus bar. That's why the glow plugs are 21V.

Rudi

Thanks! and Rudi I knew it was a big power drain but did not see it was calculated :banana:
So if you shortwire (dont use the word hotwire anymore... :D) the plugs get 21V all the time and you risk burning the glow plugs.

I would like to picture this to get it right and make kind of a manual if the glowplug relay fails.

I'm back with more information and no fix yet :( (although I'm working on it!). I have some new clues for you to steer me towards fixing...

-The relay can be heard switching on and then switching off when the key is in the "on" position
-The "glow" light in the cabin doesn't ever come on
-I've checked the fuseable links and can't find any burned out...but who knows?
-I replaced the bus bar, thinking it was part of the problem but it didn't fix it
-Glow plugs are not that old (and should at least partially work?)
-All fuses seem to be fine and any ones I wasn't sure of, I replaced

I tried to trace the wiring according to the manual but can't figure out where the issue is.

Do you guys have suggestions? Basically it's summed up as the relay works (I think) but the plugs never go on because the time the relay is on is always the same. And the light in the cabin doesn't light anymore. The troubling part for me is what causes the light in the cabin to go on or not?

I'd like to do more investigation but may have to take it in to an expert, as I am running out of time :(

Thanks for the great discussion!
-Joe

After analyzing a great picture that Rudi had previously put together on the glow plug system, my thinking is that it could be the pre-heating timer?

If the glow plug light in the truck doesn't go on and it's not the fuses (or starter, etc.) then the other side of that connection looks like it goes to pin 7 of the pre-heating timer? There is also a connection that goes into the relay but it looks like this would still put the light on at least intermittently?

Has anyone ever had anything go wrong with the pre-heating timer? I've heard complaints of the relays going bad and it could still be a possibility, but I am doubting it.

TLC Norway,

Thanks for the reply. The engine is a 2H from 1987 with about 290,000km on it. It's from Japan but was manufactured for and sold in Canada for the Canadian market running on a 24v system.

If I read your thread properly....your wanting to figure out why the Glow light on the dash doesnt go on when you are glowing the truck on start up? Correct? Outside of all that you are having no troubles starting your truck correct?

I didnt see anything in your thread about you physically checking the light bulb in the dash cluster that lights up the Glow Symbol on your dash. Its just a thought that possibility it was over looked?

Also, where in Ontario do you live? I live east of Toronto if you need any help or maybe some HJ60 Parts. I parted one out not long ago and still have a lot of the electrical parts I hoarded for myself "just incase". I may part with them.

PM if you want,
Phil

If I read your thread properly....your wanting to figure out why the Glow light on the dash doesnt go on when you are glowing the truck on start up? Correct? Outside of all that you are having no troubles starting your truck correct?

I didnt see anything in your thread about you physically checking the light bulb in the dash cluster that lights up the Glow Symbol on your dash. Its just a thought that possibility it was over looked?

This is what I was thinking too.......

Sorry I am a bit confused with all the glowing problems (and different systems) but for me when my hj60 quit glowing:

-cleaned all the plastic tube connections in the engine bay with wd40 and checked all for corrosion.
-checked and replaced one connection to the + battery, it was splitted. (but hardly visible)
-replaced 6 glowplugs but that has nothing to do with lights, only smoke@startup
-connection that checks resistance (one wire) from watertemp sensor in the thermostat is essential for the glowing startsequence to do anything at all.

-water seems to sometimes enter the box behind the right hand side kickboard> inspect/fix the leak.

Who needs to glow anyway :flipoff2:
file.php

file.php

Last edited:
Do you have the Service Manual? There is a full diagnostic procedure for the Superglow system problems in the manual.

Ive heard about the sensor on the intake going bad, which will make the timer relay act up. What year and origin is this engine?

that's for 12HT .. no sensor on the 2H ..

Maybe I miss it .. but the bush bar it's actually getting the V ..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom