Glow plugs for 1990 Hilux Surf (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I stongly suspect one of my glow plugs is malfunctioning and so I called Toyota to see about replacements. They want $48 each (that's with a 15% discount for TLCA). My question is, is that a decent price? Can I get non-OEM ones somewhere? Is there a cross reference list? The Toyota part # is 19850-54090.

Also...I was under the impression that I could just replace the offending glow plug and be off. However after some research on the web I've run across a few sites that say glow plugs should be replaced as a set. Any truth to this?

Thanks,

Wes

Wes,
Dan sells the plugs at a cheap price and Napa and Autovalue sells the plugs as long as you have the part number sometimes even cheaper than Dan.

i have changed out just one plug in the past and it worked fine for me, i guess it depends on your wallet. i try but can not understand the reasoning of changing out them all when one was dead... maybe someone with more book knowledge can chime in here...

I have a weak link theory - just a theory but comes from my experience.

If you have most any type of system that has been running for a long time - and all the components rely on each other to keep the system running perfectly, if one of the units in that system fails and is replaced the other components in the system will start to fail soon as well - so all should be replaced. Maybe the end of their service life - or maybe all of the componenets wore and aged together - add a new healthy one and it basically outworks the others and the others fail.. Did I explain it right?

Examples - change the clutch master and the slave will go shortly after. Change an alternator and an old battery will probably go right after. Brake components, engine components. Sometimes a spouse dies and shortly after the other dies. Ever see "Where the red fern grows"?

You know what I mean?

I like your explanation Louis-- That's good..{:)

yep, i agree with your explanation but for the finacially challenged changing out 1 bad and 3 good plugs might not be a viable option.

if Wes just wants get through the winter then changing out one plug will work fine. also i know of a reputable shop in Calgary that will change just one plug without hesitation.

the other probelm with your explaination is that the glow plugs work independantly of each other. they get fed the same but work individually unlike the alternator/battery, MC/slave, 2 battery systems 24V, these all work in conjunction... glow plugs don't

Hey guys,

Thanks for the information. I wonder if it's too late to cancel my order with Toyota. I better go call.

Wes

Well I couldn't seem to find them at Partsource or NAPA with the NGK number Y-715R or the Toyota number 19850-54090. Both of them said that neither number came up on their system.

I've already got the ones ordered from Toyota and they're supposed to be in either today or tomorrow, so I'll stick with those for now. If I need more in the future I'll check with Dan.

Wes

Well Toyota said they were getting them from Van and they would be here today or tomorrow. I just called and it turns out they are getting them from CA and they won't be here until Dec. 5th.

So now I'm looking for non-OEM. Here are the part numbers I've got and so far NAPA is unable to help me. Does anyone know where I can find these?

19850-54090 (Toyota)
Y-715R (NGK)
DG-211 (Denso)
MPT-151 (Maxeen)
CH154 (Champion)

Thanks,

Wes

Hmmm....four posts in a row...I feel like I'm having an online conversation with myself.

I forgot about 4Wheel...called them and they have them in stock for cheaper than Toyota sells them. Works for me.

Thanks,

Wes

I am not an expert on the whole glow plug control circuit but I can offer this:
My understanding is that a glow plug is just a heating element or basically a resistor that just gives off heat. You should be able to measure a certain resistance across them to indicate if they are still ok. If they have a very high resistance then they have burned open and are no good.

On my girlfriends 3B 12 volt system, the 4 glowplugs are connected in parallel so what ever voltage is being applied to the common bus that feeds them is being dropped across each glowplug.
For instance 12 volts X 0.5 amps = 6 watts of power.
In theory if the bus voltage remains constant it would make no difference on the amount of current flowing through each glowplug should 1 or 2 of them burn open.

I do not know if the controller is functioning properly on the B3 I measured but I would measure approx 8 volts from the bus to ground for a certain time after the key is turned to the accessory position and then after some predetermined time, also referencing engine or ambient temp I think, the voltage is dropped to approx 4 volts to ground. Then after further time and or temperature rise the voltage is no longer applied to the glowplugs.

the only reason I got into this was the old BJ60 wouldn't fire one day when it was maybe 10 below.
Took it to a garage and they said the glowplugs are fine so it must be the control circuit or perhaps the glowplugs have a buildup on them because I have this special case of running a higher miler ,than most people are used to seeing, where anything can be possible.
Glowplugs were quoted $70.00 each and a little over $600 for the controller if we could get one.
My gut instinct was that something wasn't adding up other than the repair quote!

I got out my trusty Fluke digital meter and started checking things and tried to figure out how the system worked. I had 12 volts on the first section of bus to gnd and 0 volts on the buss connecting the glowplugs.
In short there are 2 busses on this 3B and the problem was a poor connection under a jumper strap that connects the 2 busses at the back glowplug next to the firewall. A little emery cloth and some contact grease and I had heat for ignition after that!

. A little emery cloth and some contact grease and I had heat for ignition after that!

good job, most shops will quote new parts since they can make severe money off innocent customers.

(eg. new H55F tranny when a $30 shifter seat is needed)

Yup, this time that turned out to be the case. I usually find 4Wheel's prices to be high compared to what I can get the part for myself. E.g. Oil filters are something like $39 when I can get them from Mayfield for $31 and from a Dallas, TX Toyota dealership for $15 (including shipping).

But sometimes they have stock and a good price on something that I can't find elsewhere.

Wes

Yeah, 4 Wheel is THE source for 2L-Tx glow plugs. Still not cheap at $30 a crack but what can ya do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom