Glow plugs and light don't stay on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I have an 87 hj60, 2h

I know that this type of problem has been beaten to death but I've been struggling with it for almost a year!

It started late spring last year when the glow plug indicator light wouldn't stay on, just flicker on and off. It seems that the relays also turned of right away because I was having a difficult time starting it without letting it crank for at least 10 seconds or more. Since I bought it 2 years earlier it would jump to a start so fast, it always made me smile.

When the warmer days of summer came along, the light stayed on for the required time so I forgot all about it. Then fall and winter came again and the problem returned, just when I really needed the glow plugs.

The only way that I could start it is to cycle the flickering light on and off like 20 or 30 times. But when the temp fell below minus 20 and minus 30, then forget it.

The batteries died, so I finally replaced the batteries last December, and voila, the glow plug started working every day and all was well. It looked like the problem was finally fixed and then my rad blew. After the mechanics monkied around with the rad, taking the batteries in and out, the glow plug light stopped working again!

I have a parts vehicle, so I replaced every part of the glow plug system except maybe for the temperature sensor on top of the valve cover, to no avail. I tested the glow plugs with an ohmmeter as well and no problems there. Is this enough to test the plugs or could they still be a problem? I've always had a lot of smoke (mostly black) on start up, could they be the wrong voltage as was previously mentioned in other threads?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep this vehicle for a very long time, if not, for the rest of my life ( I don't like throw away vehicles) One day I'll do a complete rebuild.

Tim

If the problem seems to go away when they replaced batteries and came back when they monkeyed with them, make SURE that the connections are clean and tight. Glow plugs draw a fair bit of current.

How long since the injectors have been done?

I don't know. I've had it for 2 years and put about 50 thousand kms on it. As far as I can tell, it smokes about the same as when I bought it. After how many kms should this be done and are they just cleaned or replaced?

Thanks roscoFJ73

Yes, I should just go back to the batteries and figure out if they are secure. I actually had some problems when i bought new ones because I couldn`t figure out how to keep the posts from contacting the hood on the one side. I got some sparking once, so I put some spacers in in the tray to keep the battery more to the inside and keep the positive termal away from the hood. I can`t figure out why this is happening because I made sure that the new batteries were exactly the same size as the old ones.

If the mechanic accidentally sparked the terminal, could this have fryed some component in the glow plug system?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom