GLOW PLUG WIRING HELP PLEASE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SO I swapped the entire power train from a low milage 60 into my 42, put the turbo on it and other that a few issues think it was worth while. I thought I took a million pictures but I can't get the glow plug timer working. Wiring has always been my nemesis and it appears to still be. The truck runs great but I need to get the glow plugs working. I have once loose connector near the back of the motor in the first picture which I'm sure is my culprit but I have no idea where it goes. If I touch it to one of the two terminals in the glow system is smokes the wire in the second picture near the battery. I'm going to pick up some connectors and wire but if someone could steer me in the right direction or send me some pictures of how their wiring is attached I'd be forever grateful. What a pain.

Thanks in advance
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG

I'm driving the wires truck to work until I can sort this 24 volt nightmare out.

The Canadian 60 series are 12v the bj42’s are 24v that could be a lot of your issues.

I swapped over the glow plugs, all the sensors, alternator, starter and left all the 24Volt stuff intact in the 42. The only sensor I haven't swapped is the larger looking one in the intake but there is no designation for 12 or 24 volt on it. The truck runs fine but I can't get power from the glow plug timer to the glow plugs. I have power to the relay but not from it.

I believe that’s a element not a sensor, it should be a intake air heater. Is it attached to the glow plug buss by a heavy steel shorting bar connecting the two?

It is, you're right. I suppose I will swap that out for the 24 volt one so it doesn't melt with double the voltage. I can't get power to it either.

Make sure you do not ground the bus bar, it will glow like a red bulb.
Install insulator. I think there is a 24v wire for the glow plug and another wire 24v for the intake heater (super glow system).
The ground wire goes on the intake itself.
I have to check picture.
20200102_183801.jpg

You can see where the ground wire "C" goes, the bolt is beside. The two "D" are 24v positive. Migh be another cable to connect with a black connector, not sure it's for glow system. I'm on work site, don't have 3B or manual with me...

Last edited:
Ok Thanks, I'll pick up some supplies tomorrow after work and see if I can figure it out. Keep the ideas coming.

still no luck. Can someone send me a couple of good pictures of this area with the three wires. I'm sure this is my issue. I'm running out of combinations. Thanks
IMG_0354.JPG

It’s late, and I’m tired, but I recall the shop that did the frame swap on my 12v BJ60 got the insulating spacer washers on that post positioned wrong when they put it back together, and shorted out the glow plug system. I had to replace a fusible link, and the super glow controller was damaged... it looks like you may have the same problem! Wires shorted to ground ...

Awesome! Thank you. I will look at it tomorrow.

Thanks Onur,

You called it! I'm just going to replace the fuses now that I've wired it right and hope for the best, Thanks for the help. Dave

How'd this shake out? Glow plug indicator on my new 40 doesn't work, and that's on my list

It doesn't make the ticking sound anymore but the light stays on for a while, turns off and it starts. Who knows?

Sounds like it works to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom