Glow Plug light on KZJ78? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 that green thing

1996 KZJ78 Prado
Threads
I did a search but not getting a clear answer. I have a 1996 KZJ78 Prado with the 1KZ-TE engine, all stock as far as I can tell. Shouldn't there be a glow plug light on my dash that indicates the glow plugs are working when I turn the key to "on"? I know they are working because she starts great even at -5 this morning. I have just been turning the key on and waiting 10 seconds before starting and haven't had the slightest problem with it starting. Perhaps the bulb is burnt out on the dash or I just don't know what I'm looking for. Usually its a coiled up wire or something that lights up but since Im new to the 70 series, I just am not sure how Toyota does it. Anyone have a pic of your dash with glow plug indicator on to steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,

The glow plug light is right beside the H4 and Hub Lock buttons to the lower right of the gauge cluster. There should be two lights there, the upper one is a filter indicator and the lower is the glow plug light.

Is the glow plug light supposed to illuminate when the glow plugs are "hot"? Or it is more like an idiot light and it illuminates when it senses a problem?

ok, my filter light pops up with the key on but im not getting the glow plug light, I'll check the bulb. Thanks!!

Let me know what you find. I also have a '96 and the glow plug light does not illuminate. I just assumed that was normal. I live in Phoenix, so the lowest temperature I've seen since I picked up the car in November is maybe 40-45F, so no big deal so far.

I *think* it should briefly illuminate when you turn the ignition on, but I don't think the glow plugs turn on until the temperature drops below 0ºC or 32ºF.

My glow plug indicator has never lit either.
What is the purpose of the filter indicator? Is it water in the fuel/water separator?

The glow light on my KZJ71 lights up for a couple of seconds, It only tells you that the glow systems have been checked, But the glow plugs will still have voltage which will decrease as the engine get hotter.

My glow plug light pops on for a few seconds when turn the key on. I have a 1993. I can actually hear a relay or somthing turn on or off when the light goes off. I assume thats normal. I am curious about the filter indicator too @Shyrock

The filter indicator is for the water sensor on the bottom of the fuel filter.

A correction on mine... My glow plug light does come on when I first turn the key, but very briefly - longer than a flash, but less than a half second. It's on briefly enough I had never noticed it before. At least I know the bulb works.

Here is the chart for the glow plug on 1KZTE engines, note water temp vs light on time.
6C070FDC-D3FF-450D-BFFE-C7657EDAD016.png

@SquirrelKZJ78 so, if I am reading this correctly, with outside temps of approx 32 degrees F or more, 1/2 a second is normal for the T1 lighting time? Turns out, my light is coming on, only briefly on cold mornings, I've just never noticed it before. I am used to American diesel pickups that can cycle for 5 seconds or more before starting. What is meant by T2 "after glow timing" anyone know? Thanks for the info.

I *think* it should briefly illuminate when you turn the ignition on, but I don't think the glow plugs turn on until the temperature drops below 0ºC or 32ºF.
That's it. We actually had some colder weather last week, and I saw the light flash for a fraction of a second.
We are spoiled with the winters in Wilmington. Projected high of 71 degF on Saturday. Beach day !!

The filter indicator is for the water sensor on the bottom of the fuel filter.
Is it normal for the filter light to come on when the key is turned on but then shut off? Does the filter light come on steady when the filter needs to be replaced? Any thoughts on maintenance intervals for fuel filter?

For me, the light is barely a blip in South Texas but it does work. The longest I ever saw it on was during the freak snowstorm last winter.

@SquirrelKZJ78 so, if I am reading this correctly, with outside temps of approx 32 degrees F or more, 1/2 a second is normal for the T1 lighting time? Turns out, my light is coming on, only briefly on cold mornings, I've just never noticed it before. I am used to American diesel pickups that can cycle for 5 seconds or more before starting. What is meant by T2 "after glow timing" anyone know? Thanks for the info.
The "after glow timing" simply runs the glow plugs after the light turns off and the engine starts to aid in initial combustion and get the combustion chambers warmed up.

Is it normal for the filter light to come on when the key is turned on but then shut off? Does the filter light come on steady when the filter needs to be replaced? Any thoughts on maintenance intervals for fuel filter?
Yes, that's normal. I've never had the filter light come on other than at startup, though it did flicker once during a particularly deep water crossing (water up over the front of the hood). I don't know what the recommended filter change interval is, though I always assume it can go quite a while (20k miles or more).

The "after glow timing" simply runs the glow plugs after the light turns off and the engine starts to aid in initial combustion and get the combustion chambers warmed up.

Yes, that's normal. I've never had the filter light come on other than at startup, though it did flicker once during a particularly deep water crossing (water up over the front of the hood). I don't know what the recommended filter change interval is, though I always assume it can go quite a while (20k miles or more).
with my Ram Cummins pickup it is suggested that you change the fuel filters every other oil change interval which would be approx 15k miles. I was thinking of going with that method.

I would hazard a guess you'll need a multimeter and that is the time for a voltage to read on the indicated location.

with my Ram Cummins pickup it is suggested that you change the fuel filters every other oil change interval which would be approx 15k miles. I was thinking of going with that method.
See attached maintenance schedule. Appears to cover 76, 78, 79 series.

Attachments

• land-cruiser-70-series.pdf
    150.1 KB · Views: 165
Filter light: Yes, comes on for function test and shuts off after start. Should come on permanently when water level in sedimenter exceeds limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom