Glove box key same as ignition? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just tried my ignition key in the glove box for the first time today out of curiosity. It didn't work... did 80's come with a separate key for the glove?

definitely a copy... but it works fine in all the doors and the ignition. i figured it would work for the glove box but nope! no cigar...

It could be the valet key -- or a copy of it.
Valet keys work in the doors and the ignition, but not the glove box or the raer hatch.

Try your key in the rear hatch lock. If it doesn't work there, you have a valet key.

If it does work...uhhhh...dunno.

the key i have looks like a master and works every lock on the car except for the glove box. now im on a mission.

When I got some keys made from the non-valet key a few years ago the copies worked in certain locks and not others. The key shop took em back and took a hair more material off of them - then they worked in all of the locks.

It may be worth it to have a smith look at it as Sean said.

I got a camper shell for free (for my ford ranger) sans key and the locksmith hand filed a key for it by putting it in the lock, turning it slightly, and feeling where it hung up.

It was $2 for the key and $15 for him to spend about 30 minutes fine tuning it. I then had him cut two copies of it for $2 each. Watching him work was worth every penny :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom