glass vs seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So during ‘71 window seals changed from 2 piece to single piece seal.
My question is did the glass get smaller or larger as a result?
I’m tossing up whether to have new glass made and if I knew what the difference was I could look further into it. Has any tried fitting the earlier glass with the later seal? What was the result? Too loose or too tight?
Thanks all.

I had the front windshield replaced once on my '72 40 - I bought the OEM weatherstripping from Toyota and then took the truck to an old-school auto glass shop (recommended by Camelback Toyota) - came out perfect

I believe that it might have helped that the shop owner drove a '69 40 himself back in the day :hillbilly:

from that experience, I wouldn't do the side windows any other way :doh:

Rear window (lift up door)
Long side windows
Rear corner windows
Front windscreen

I’m using later larger glass with it’s appropriate weatherstripping in place of smaller glass and it’s appropriate weatherstripping in my 67.

I think the front window glass is specific to the frame size and using a different size piece with its appropriate weatherstripping doesn’t work like the hardtop glass does.

I’m using later larger glass with it’s appropriate weatherstripping in place of smaller glass and it’s appropriate weatherstripping in my 67.

I think the front window glass is specific to the frame size and using a different size piece with its appropriate weatherstripping doesn’t work like the hardtop glass does.
How much bigger is the later glass to the older glass?

How much bigger is the later glass to the older glass?

Just looking at those pics I took I’d guess a 1/4” to 1/2” bigger. Let me know if you want some rough length x width measurements of both and I’ll grab them one day this week.

Following i also need to replace my front windshield.

whatever window you are replacing, get the OEM weatherstripping - I can even see on my LX that the aftermarket rubber isn't covering the same area the OEM weatherstripping did before some aftermarket company replaced the windshield years ago - and on the DSRTGX, the replacement stuff didn't seal nearly enough, and the dripping water eventually fried the ECU :mad: - (granted, we don't have those wicked things on 40s, but you get the idea nonetheless)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom