1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glacier National Park - school me!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by srplus, Aug 14, 2006.

1. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

Anybody live near or visit and stay somewhere worth noting... wifey is set to go visit... I told her to look in the freezer and she could see plenty of ice.

Seriously though... I think it might be a little cool in late September or early October... even with global warming.

Maybe even a trail ride? Help me out if you can.

2. Sno bored

Sno bored

I've been through Glacier a couple of times, and backpacked through the backcountry and it is incredible. Take lots of pictures and watch out for the bears.

3. srplus

Bears or Beers?

Seriously, any good B&B's or cabins, etc?

4. jb welda

jb welda

the bears in glacier make the ones in yellowstone look like yogi and boo boo.

they arent there to take your food...you ARE their food.

watch out where you camp

one love
    jah bill

5. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    How do you tell the difference between griz poo and black bear poo?

Griz poo has 'bear bells' in it and smells like OC spray! HA!

Seriously, though I've only been there once, but had a great time. Going to the Sun Road was pretty cool and we did some hikes out of East Glacier, I wish I could remember the names of the trails. Enjoy!!!

6. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict GOLD Star

We drove over there several summers ago and loved it. Big temperature difference from the base of the mountain to the top. Check the Canadian side also.

7. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    What part of Glacier are you going to? Spent 28 days in the park 2 years ago a great place to visit. In order to experience Glacier you need to hike driving around you miss alot. The town of Polebridge on west side is a place not to be missed when you go. We went in late June and cabins fill up early hopefully September we be better for lodging.

8. srplus

thinking about the SW side for starters but haven't made any firm decisions yet... am still looking for recommendations on where to go from those that have been there or live in the area. I'm sure there are humans as well as bears living in that part of the country.

9. warpedone

warpedone

10. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

Second and third weeks of September should be the peak of the rut for elk. I would kill to be in MT then. I have only been through glatier once and it was spectacular. There is a bike shop in (Glacier cyclery??) Whitefish that does trail rides on a regular basis. The bears are for real in Glacier. Don't F' around with them. Plan a couple of hikes and make noize when you are hiking. Don't forget to wear running shoes! Going to the sun hwy is mind boggling! DO NOT MISS IT! Be prepared for any weather including snow at that time.

Have fun!

11. LandCruiserPhil

Media:
    Albums:
    Never run from a bear they will see you as prey and an ez dinner. Bears have a top speed of 50' per second you wont have a chance.

Check the vistor center for daily trail updates for bears

12. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

I only have to be faster than my wife!:grinpimp:

The paw print in your post is just a wee one! I was fishing a creek @ 50 miles from Glacier and found a print that swallowed my size 11 boot. The bad thing was it was on top of our tracks from the hike in.

No joke on the running thing.

13. MDarius

MDarius I break stuff. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm with Srpls, Glacier is a long way from anywhere to just pack up and go without some good info. Does anyone have trailheads, resources, links, etc. that would be helpful in learning more? I have checked a few sites and the National Parks page, not real helpful. I have been wanting to go for a few years, but 14 hours away with 4 small kids makes the backyard look real good.

14. MDarius

MDarius I break stuff. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh, look at hte links at the bottom of the page. caravan.com. Hmmm....

15. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

"Glacier is a long way from anywhere", and that is a good thing! Believe me, Glacier is a park that is not to be missed! As soon as my children are old enough I will be makine the 30 hour drive so they can experience it.

I have not hiked the trails in Glacier because my grandparents ranch was 60 miles from there. I always hiked around there. From my friends who have hiked it, there aren't any bad trails, some are just more work than others.

Good Luck

16. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

depending on when your there in October, could be road closures for a day or two because of SNOW.

17. jb welda

jb welda

on the bear running tip, youre right, they run a whole lot faster a whole lot further than a person can...

but if youre going downhill the lore is that they cannot run downhill. still if youre in a position where you have to run from a bear then its practically a done deal anyway. best to lay on the ground in a ball and try to protect your neck. thats what they say anyhow...somehow i cant imagine myself getting bear-handled and remaining calm enough to take it without trying to escape...to sure death.

ive been around yellowstone quite a bit because i have a small place by cooke city but rarely have been bothered by bears. ive seen a couple on the trail but always from far enough away that theyve not bothered me. but one day hiking down to clarks fork river i startled one in the brush but he ran the other way and i thanked god for that. when i got back to the road there were some hunters who said rangers were looking for a bear who severely injured a hunter the day before right there; the hunter had been sneaking around the bushes and surprised a bear...BIG surprise!

anyway in my experience i would be more wary of the mooses (mices?) because they are very territorial and arent anything to joke around with. if you climb a tree they will seemingly disappear until you climb down and then will reappear to challenge you and its pretty much a one way deal with a moose. on the good side though they arent a predator so just taking off running usually works and wont trigger the predator instinct to chase you like with a bear or cat; they are glad to see you leave their area.

i wouldnt let any of this change your mind about going to glacier though, its a great and beautiful place.

one love
    jah bill

18. Varty Yo

Varty Yo SILVER Star

check out the road to the sun, an amazing drive!!!!!

19. LandCruiserPhil

Media:
    Albums:
    From what I have read the and in talking with the park rangers the word is when first encountered stay calm (right) back away slowly if the bear if the bear becomes confrontationl be as large and loud as you can. If its a black bear thats coming after you go with the ball system but if its a grizzly and it come after you fight for your life! FWIW I packed on all my hikes except when I was on the Canadian side and I was scared there.

20. jb welda

jb welda

>if the bear becomes confrontationl be as large and loud as you can

that is good advice with a small bear like a california black bear. no way is it good advice with a grizzly. youre not going to scare a grizzly by being big...thats just more of a full plate if you get my drift. a gun wont really do much good either unless you do some preemptive shooting and even then it better be a pretty powerful gun. a 22 will bounce off its fur at 10 paces and a 357 wont do much better unless youre pretty darn close. if you hit it in a soft spot theres a chance but thats going to be difficult if he is charging you.

im not sure if weve been talking to different rangers or if the conventional wisdom has changed or what but the roll into a ball thing was and is as far as i know the only reasonable defensive tactic that has a chance of working if charged and the charge is for real (most are supposedly bluff charges but with me i would probably have a bleedin heart attack so it would be a moot point). i dont think fighting for your life is gonna help either...at that point your expected lifespan is going to be rather short.

anyway you look at it if youre in a confrontation with a grizzly its bad news.

but glacier NP is still a beautiful place and chances for a grizzly encounter of the bad sort is rather slim.

one love
    jah bill

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">