Give me a reason not to buy this... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a buddy looking for a cruiser who just sent me this:

Anybody know anything about this one?

It's been on CL for 21 days...gotta be something wrong with it...

I'm guessing someone on this forum is the current owner. Way over priced in my opinion.

Previous owner of 12 years driving one mile to work. Seller thinks that is a selling point. From my point of view that is a negative in that the engine would not get up to operating temp, burn off moisture etc.

Got to laugh about not knowing the correct acronym: "Replaced PKK (pesky heater hose), look it up, a real pain to do."

IMHO, i'd say the reason not to buy it is because it's way overpriced. If you're spending that much go for a 100 series- more power, better trans, etc.

Meh....overpriced, plus no pics of the motor. IMO, you cant add 10-12k to the price for some very basic maintenance and simply lifting it and putting new tires and wheels on it.

Meh....overpriced, plus no pics of the motor. IMO, you cant add 10-12k to the price for some very basic maintenance and simply lifting it and putting new tires and wheels on it.

Yep, but, constant torque clamps will ensure no failures. So, there is that!

Got a buddy looking for a cruiser who just sent me this:

Anybody know anything about this one?

It's been on CL for 21 days...gotta be something wrong with it...

Found mine on CL, second time the guy had it up. Drove another 20k miles before it needed anything. Paint’s shot, though.

If it has been baselined, with no leaks, recent knuckle rebuild, newer tires, no rust, everything functional I'd say its a decent price. But hey, I overpaid for mine so I might not be the best judge. Also, wonder why the radiator had to be replaced, was it from an overheat?

Price is whatever it's worth to you. If you love to wrench, buy something to fix/build. If you want turnkey, and this checks out, go for it. In the end, a few thousand is a few gas tanks on something you'll probably drive for years to come. All this said, the biggest issue I see is that it's a Lexus. The LX450 is the man-thong of the Land Cruiser family. (☕ Change my mind!)

I've def seen this truck on this forum. I'll never understand folks who cast aspersion on an obo listing in this free market world we live in. I hope he gets every damn dollar as the rising tide raises all 80 series boats.

-I love the '97 LX, my fav vintage
-Factory 3x bumps up value for certain
-I love the color (mine's white, but I prefer this emerald green or black)
-Good choice on lift, caster plates
-Wheels are legit as I bought the 16" version before (hub-centric with the deepest dish I've seen on 17s)
-Tires are perfect, but no 4.88s
-Love that it's kept the wonderful OEM shape (i.e. no aftermarket bumpers)

Aside from the typical refresh funds every 80 truck needs on the side, what stops me from buying is the cosmetic condition in and out. I'm a sucker for minty fresh and at this price range approaching $20K, this is de rigueur imv. WTS, I rarely come across minty 80s not in my garage.

It's tempting given mileage, model year, Lexus upgrades, color, oem lockers, suspension mods, wheels and tires.

Good luck in your search dude!

Last edited:
I like how he says the Toyota bushings are "not cheap" it's like 150 bucks lol!

That says alot about how cheap he is

A clean, locked, low miles 97 with a little decent build on it? It's worth it to someone. I know folks around here love a bargain, but trust me there's a market for cruisers like this. I think it is a little high, but that's what asking prices are for, a starting point.

It has more than a 2.5" lift. You need to make sure that works for YOU. Typically there are driveline issues that crop up with this. If you do your own work, you'll be OK, but if you only pay others, you'll spend a fortune fixing little things while chasing the big things.

It's a bit high IMO.

If you like having working A/C, this truck is not for you. Once something important in the electrical part of the system breaks, they don’t make replacement parts anymore, even generic ones.

It’s tempting. Price is great provided that you think it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom