Builds Giovanni’s 2016 460 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Read up on their products for other vehicles with owners before giving them your money. Bad CS, crap alignment and welds, improper surface prep before PC, lack of communication, etc. etc. etc. And yes I am speaking from personal experience with a few of these.

Read up on their products for other vehicles with owners before giving them your money. Bad CS, crap alignment and welds, improper surface prep before PC, lack of communication, etc. etc. etc. And yes I am speaking from personal experience with a few of these.
Just for clarity, which product/vendor are you referring to avoid?

Expo1.

We took the unorthodox approach to Thanksgiving this year, and went outdoors. Found a great spot in the Ozarks to set up for the whole week.

Tested everything I've done to the truck and agree with everyone on here who says "these trucks continue to impress". Found some gnarly trails, and the GX crawled right through.

All the electrical upgrades are awesome for camping and travel, and of course, I've got a few more that I want to do now.

Some pics for the fun of it.
IMG_1538.jpeg
IMG_3249.jpeg
IMG_1499.jpeg
IMG_1550.jpeg
IMG_3260.jpeg

What a great Thanksgiving adventure!

I approve.

Tirerack had the AlphaEquipt Echo's in light grey that I've been eye ballin' for a while now on sale for $196, so I ordered 7 today.

17x8.5 ET 10

Now I just have to choose tires - leaning towards the Toyo ATIII, but not sure yet.

Tirerack had the AlphaEquipt Echo's in light grey that I've been eye ballin' for a while now on sale for $196, so I ordered 7 today.

17x8.5 ET 10

Now I just have to choose tires - leaning towards the Toyo ATIII, but not sure yet.
Merry Christmas to yourself??? ;)

Merlin XP-170

Yikes! Those are kind of pricey!
I just bought these at Harbor Freight:

I keep them stored up in my RTT on the mattress to keep them from getting cracked or breaking. The only time I would probably need them would be when I pop the tent! And they're easy to store and retrieve up there.

Ouch, those are expensive @giovanni but cool nonetheless.

Pricey, yes. But they work and they charge at their rated capacity. I’ve seen a bunch of panels that don’t charge anywhere near what they’re supposed to - and I like for stuff to work properly.

All told, I’ve got almost 500W of solar capacity. That will charge a battery bank in a hurry.

and I like for stuff to work properly.

Agreed! We aren't hurting for money so we don't mind spending for higher quality where appropriate.

Pricey, yes. But they work and they charge at their rated capacity. I’ve seen a bunch of panels that don’t charge anywhere near what they’re supposed to - and I like for stuff to work properly.

All told, I’ve got almost 500W of solar capacity. That will charge a battery bank in a hurry.
Yep, I'm looking at building up my battery piggy bank in the future either with additional panels and/or swapping out the ones I have for more efficient ones.

Not completely finished yet - still some tidying up to do but it is functional.

A Pelican case with a 100ah LifPO4 battery, DCDC dual input charger, and a 1000W inverter. Sized the case and charger for 2x100ah batteries - so will be ordering the 2nd one over the holidays.

I built it so I can charge the case while driving, and then have the 200ah battery bank augment my trailer capacity. Effectively, with my trailer I have 400ah of lithium batteries - or if I’m just in the truck I’ve got 200ah.

The 2 30A circuits that powered the electric 3rd row seats will be my charge source while the case is in the car.

Sorry about the upside down pictures - can't figure out why.

The 7.5A showing is from the solar input to the DCDC charge controller.

24EB012C-A884-4AA6-9622-04D1FA30A682.jpeg

0F5CBBAF-ED18-4656-8376-68F177A2E537.jpeg

BBD6A176-C30C-447F-A632-32B5E8B5D8B4.jpeg

Last edited:
True engineering genius!

Not completely finished yet - still some tidying up to do but it is functional.

A Pelican case with a 100ah LifPO4 battery, DCDC dual input charger, and a 1000W inverter. Sized the case and charger for 2x100ah batteries - so will be ordering the 2nd one over the holidays.

I built it so I can charge the case while driving, and then have the 200ah battery bank augment my trailer capacity. Effectively, with my trailer I have 400ah of lithium batteries - or if I’m just in the truck I’ve got 200ah.

The 2 30A circuits that powered the electric 3rd row seats will be my charge source while the case is in the car.

Sorry about the upside down pictures - can't figure out why.

The 7.5A showing is from the solar input to the DCDC charge controller.

View attachment 2531779

View attachment 2531780

View attachment 2531781
THAT IS SWEET!!!!

Took the GX and camper to Broken Bow.

I removed the 3rd row seats, and for now just have the bare vehicle floor surface covered with the Weathertech cargo mat. I’ve ordered the Goose Gear base plate but don’t have it yet.

There are 2 30A circuits - one for each of the 3rd row seat motors - they’re always hot. I used those circuits in parallel to feed an Anderson SB50 connector. They are only 12 or 14 AWG, but with them in parallel, each wire only has to carry a max of 15A to feed my 30A DCDC charger, so well within the current carrying capacity.

My “battery box” has:

- DCDC dual input charger (input for solar / MPPT, and an input for alternator)
- 100Ah lithium battery - space provisioned for a 2nd one, which should be here today and I’ll install it
- both batteries fused and connected to a distribution buss bar
- two SB50 connector “outputs” connected to the buss bar
- a fused distribution block for connecting small loads (USB, 12V, hella, etc), which I will add and make accessible from the box
- all wiring is either 4 or 6 AWG

I plug the SB50 connector from the seat motor power into the “Alternator” input to the 30A DCDC charger, and the vehicle charges the battery at about 26 amps when engine is running. The DCDC charger is smart enough to disconnect when the car is shut off and voltage drops to the 12V range so it won’t drain my start battery.

When my camper batteries need to be recharged, I connect one of the SB50 outputs to my trailer charge controller, and it charges my trailer batteries at about 28 amps.

Very happy with the setup - 400Ah of lithium battery capacity, and 500 watts of solar if sun conditions are right.

Broken Bow is a beautiful area - explored a few FS roads with the family and will definitely be going back a few times.

31620478-FE8E-4821-A9A6-080B3ED9B298.jpeg

0318639C-51DE-43EC-9D09-31BC6ADA6069.jpeg

E80EB234-88C9-42BA-ABD7-ADF1B1E85885.jpeg

63737101-FA5E-4E4F-92C5-B6CC4CBB266E.jpeg

101B5990-EDEA-422D-A06D-36C0889D74DA.jpeg

Looks like happy times and good memories, especially for your kid!
I see you have a "privy" tent. After doing a lot of research for a quick set-up and a comfortable amount of interior room we opted for this:
Amazon product ASIN B07S47RG8D
The only issues are I always forget the right way to fold those darn hoops so it takes twice as long to fold and put it away, and I need to make note to tie it down. It doesn't take much of a breeze to blow over.

One last comment, I think it's awesome you posted a selfie! It's really great to see what the person behind the posts look like! Personally I'd like to see more people post a photo of themselves on their build threads! I'll have to do that next time I post on my build thread.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom