Ghost thumping Now video!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 with 210k.
Recently started to hear what sounds like radio static noise from front passenger area. It happens with the radio off. Not able to reproduce, its just random.
Now again randomly I get loud thumping sound . Its loud thumps and I am not able to isolate the origin. I tjpught something broke in the suspension.
Stock rafio with nav. All the functions from audio unit works. Checked the amp under the seat but water damage nor burnt smell.
I know the subwoofer is shot but the noise vomes with radio off.

Amy experience to share?
Thank you

Please share some thoughts. As I was driving my wife to and back from hospital in San Francisco yesterday, the noise from speakers are getting more frequent and almost frightening to go on a long trip again.
I managed to video one incident at a parking lot.
The radio is off with the car running when theses things occur. When I turn the power on the noise is amplified to the max regardless of the volume.
Thanks.

Sounds more like a buzzer. Any lights on the dash - like ABS?

Everything else functions fine but the random crazy high pitch noise mostly from the right side speakers and the thumping from the rear subwoofer makes driving unsettling.
I checked forvany water intrusion on the passenger side but none.

Wild, that would drive me nuts. I'm not a audio expert but maybe someone else here can chime in.

I suspect to properly diagnose this you'll need to take door panels off and start poking around. I wonder if a short in the circuit could cause this. It certainly doesn't sound like a blown speaker thumping and way more like a audible buzzer.

Random and easy check, maybe just disconnect your battery and let it sit for a few, then re-connect. IDK , just thinking of possible easy things to try.

At least it seems to directly relate to the radio being on and hopefully isn't anything too serious.

Wild, that would drive me nuts. I'm not a audio expert but maybe someone else here can chime in.

I suspect to properly diagnose this you'll need to take door panels off and start poking around. I wonder if a short in the circuit could cause this. It certainly doesn't sound like a blown speaker thumping and way more like a audible buzzer.

Random and easy check, maybe just disconnect your battery and let it sit for a few, then re-connect. IDK , just thinking of possible easy things to try.

At least it seems to directly relate to the radio being on and hopefully isn't anything too serious.
Thanks I will try disconnecting battery.

Its actually with audio off.
I only pushed the radio on thinking it will stop but the noise turns into the max volume noise.

Update
So it appears to be the faulty amp under the passenger seat. Removal was straightforward however I am having trouble finding a replacement. Any suggestions? Toyota no longer carries it.

20230401_131421.jpg

Update
So it appears to be the faulty amp under the passenger seat. Removal was straightforward however I am having trouble finding a replacement. Any suggestions? Toyota no longer carries it.

View attachment 3288182
I'm not much help here but I've seen some forums taking about bypassing the factory amp, so I think you have options.......I'm not sure if that involves replacing it or just bypassing but do some searching and see what you can dig up

maybe this
> Bypassing Factory AMP (For idiots) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bypassing-factory-amp-for-idiots.1225782/

Since I have the factory nav, I will see if any success out there. I found one new one for $900 geez...but just not sure about used pulled from wrecker yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom