1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghetto Fab Cargo Barrier Mod

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Shahram, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Shahram

Shahram I ain't got herpes no more.

Last weekend, I took my wife and ten-month-old son on a beach camping trip. It was my son's first camping trip. My wife will fill the entire Cruiser up with the most frivolous gear when it's just the both of us; add the baby, and you're basically moving for the weekend. If women come with baggage, then babies come with furniture.

We did not have the option of laying down the middle row, because the baby seat goes there. I didn't want the hassle of having my wife and kid all the way in the third row either. Nor did I want to pack my kid in with the gear, or have gear in the front seat with me. So, I had to maximize what space I had (cargo area and roof), and go from there.

I have one of those smaller sized roof cargo boxes (15 cu. ft.), and in that I put the light-and-bulkies, including the tent, therma-rests, folding chairs, ground tarps, canopy.

In the back, I knew I could fit the gear in if only I could put the heavy stuff (cooler, tools, gerry cans, etc.) on the bottom, and medium weight stuff (portable crib, baby's gear, camp kitchen, personal gear bags, dry goods, etc.) on top of that, I'd be okay. Only problem was that I'd have to stack stuff above the level of the back of the seat. With my son facing the cargo area in his child restraint system, a sudden stop could result in bins and gear going up over the back of the seat and striking him.

Time and budget did not permit the purchase of a proper steel bolt-in cargo barrier. However, I didn't need something stout enough to hold back air tanks, spare tire, or a portable welder, just bins of food and baby gear.

I went to Home Depot, and purchased two racks of pre-prepared wire shelving, some industrial ducting zip-ties, and four lashing straps. I think the entire thing cost around $30.00 altogether.

I measured the distance between the carpet and the headliner, just behind the 2nd row of seating. Could have used a set of bolt cutters to cut through, but used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to cut it down to size. Amazingly, the two shelves, when put between the wheel wells, fit almost perfectly. I joined the two shelves together with 12 of the largest zip-ties I could find. Then I strapped the makeshift barrier to the rear grab handles with lashing straps, and finally wove one more strap through the bottom rungs and around the rear seat to fasten the bottom to the seat.

We had the truck packed to the roof with miscellaneous small items and gear bins by the time we were done. The back and front seats were empty.

Here are the pics of the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it a ghetto mod? Definitely. Would it have protected my wife son from gear hitting them in the event of a head-on impact? Probably not. But, I believe in the event of a slow roll, or sudden brake action, it would have kept the cargo at bay. Plus, it allowed me to pack the hell out of the rear area without having gear spill out all over the place.

2. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Nice job.

Could of had a little more room by taking the rear seats out.

3. NorCalSam

NorCalSam

Ditto that ......Pull the seats for the camp trip.

4. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

This brings up something that many of you are going to reply to with, "No Duh!"

I owned an 80 cruiser for 8 years. I've owned TWO for the last 4 and had Three for a short period. It wasn't until a few months ago that I decided to pull the 3rd row out of one when I was going camping.

So, being the type that if I'm removing something wrenches come out... I pulled the 2 12mm bolts from the back of the 3rd row seats and pulled them out. I had these floppy brackets still connected to the horizontal bars. I remembered seeing pictures of the back end of other's trucks and only the bars were there. It was then that I played around with the brackets on the bars and figured out how freekin' easy it is to remove the 3rd row WITHOUT removing the brackets.

Then I noticed the instructions on the DS wall of the 3rd row... Yep. I felt like an idiot.

5. Ivan80

Ivan80

Media:
    Albums:
    Ya know...it's ok sometimes not to post stuff :grinpimp:

Was there maybe a pile of empty Corona bottles around you when you finally saw the instructions :beer::beer::beer::eek::beer::beer::beer:

:cheers:

6. TomH

TomH SILVER Star

Shahram

Looks like that setup may have provided a little protection, but in a serious impact, as you state, probably not much. Find a way to make the budget available and get a Milford (or similar) cargo barrier, the kid and wife are worth it.

I made two or three camping trips without a barrier and I was worried and nervous every time. I was packing for camping one time, stopped halfway through, went in the house and ordered a Milford. I keep in in the garage most of the time, but when I start packing to go camping, it's the first thing I put in the truck.

Tom

7. TOY350

TOY350 #1 Super Guy SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    FYI on the Milfords: The one I got from Man-A-Fre does not fit behind the front row seats with the second row down. This is because of the lower ceiling where the sunroof slides back. I verified this with Milford and am not sure if they have made a model to mount in the front position with our sunroofs.

Milfords are spendy, but I don't worry about all my gear in the back either. I run one in the 60 and 80 all the time. :cheers:

8. Texus

Texus

Milford...

Just ordered mine from Jim @ midwest... got a stellar deal, as it was a return... can't wait to get it in...I carry too much crap... ya never know when I need to head for the hills for a month!! (yep...I'm a geek about s***...)

9. barrypt5

barrypt5

Midwest....what? yeah I guess could others chime in and say who else sells Milfords? Thanks!

what would one expect to pay (a good deal) for one?

10. barrypt5

barrypt5

Somthing else I was going to add...in some Volvo's and may subaru's have seen a cargo barrier that starts at the top of the seats and goes to the ceiling...anyone ever ran across something like this for cruisers?

11. Texus

Texus

12. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Great ghetto minds think alike :)

$15 Home Depot in matching grey
    Rear cage FZJ80.JPG

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">