GF's 2000 100 series loses power steering assist temporarily then returns back to normal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
A cursory search on this topic didn't reveal anything so I'm posting up. She was taking the offramp yesterday and wasn't able to turn left and almost ran into the barrier. She stopped and then the PS returned to normal. She heard no whining, hissing and the fluid is at normal level. I'll check everything out once she brings it over. 170xxx mileage, all stock. Her rack isn't leaking.

This doesn't sound like a typical issue with this platform from what I've read. Please let me know where I should be focusing my attention. Needless to say, she has lost a little confidence on her rig after yesterday.

Thanks.

Could be that there is a bubble in the system that is causing the intermittent loss.
Outside of that, what is the maintenance history like? Has it has the Power Steering Pump replaced? What about serpentine belt? When was the last time the PS had a fluid exchange?

Mine does this - and has for years. (yeah, I know)

My 2006 has 167,000 miles on it. The power steering loss only happens at or near full lock - like pulling into a parking spot, or doing a quick 3-point turn. If I continue to muscle it, the power will not come back. If I back off - "unturn" the wheel slightly - the power comes back. It is NOT associated with RPM - I've tested that a few times, e.g. not letting up on the turn, holding the brake and giving some more throttle - no change to the power assist.

This topic was discussed a few years ago... but I couldn't find it.

So, I've since flushed the PS system and installed new belts. Her fluid was quite dark and nasty so it might've been the original fluid, I dunno. I think I flushed two quarts of ATF through it.

So far this issue hasn't reoccurred.

Last edited:
A cursory search on this topic didn't reveal anything so I'm posting up. She was taking the offramp yesterday and wasn't able to turn left and almost ran into the barrier. She stopped and then the PS returned to normal. She heard no whining, hissing and the fluid is at normal level. I'll check everything out once she brings it over. 170xxx mileage, all stock. Her rack isn't leaking.

This doesn't sound like a typical issue with this platform from what I've read. Please let me know where I should be focusing my attention. Needless to say, she has lost a little confidence on her rig after yesterday.

Thanks.
Her rig is just trying to get your attention to install turbos. It is jealous of your 80.

💯

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom