GETTING TRAIL GEAR 30 SPLINE BIRF AND SHAFT TO "GO ALL THE WAY"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevin in okinawa

SILVER Star
Threads
I tried the 60 forum but the only advice (CruiserMatt from Florida, who seems to know his stuff) I got was to hit it with a hammer, so I thought I'd bounce that off of y'all first. I read one post where a guy said he used a grinder to make the birfield fit but I don't have any other info. Any of you 40 guys have experience with these shafts and birfields? It's the long side.

"Anyone have a similar experience? I just had the ring/pinion rebuilt and I'm able to get the stock shaft/birfield into the diff but this new Trail Gear Long field 30 spline will not set; I get it most of the way in, but it just won't pass "into" the hub; that last "push" when it goes in and meshes I guess with the spider gears? These are the 30/30 birfield and shaft(long side). Not the gun-drilled models though. Is there a secret move?"

I am not scared to tap progressively harder on the end to kind of force it in, but is that the way? Will I in typical form mess up the splines on the inner shaft? I have put the oem birf and shaft in 3 times to verify the diff is fine.

With the stocker, after I get it to this point, I wiggle it into the sweet spot; sometimes i have to give the flange a twirl, but then it slides right in the last inch or so and it’s in there like Ragu. Not with this new axle.

C861AF01-463A-4DDA-92B3-05498382CBBF.jpeg

8843AE8D-DF36-4467-8BF9-BAEC0EE15BCF.jpeg

On a 60 axle it the bell should be big enough, but only just. Makes it hard to line up the splines.

I just fiddle with it until I can get it in. There is a little flange in the housing that helps line up the long side.

Don't have any tips other than fiddle with it. Should not require a hammer. Maybe have a helper spin the diff at the driveshaft while you fiddle with it.

check the length to the old one if you can. Just heard about one that was 1/4” to short and spun the splines off.
Like @matzell sead or try the lower it usually will drop easier than the top.

I echo what Matzell says. Loosen the steering arms. On my mini axle I couldn’t the stock birf in with the steering arms tight.

I popped loose the steering arms and giggled it like a mofo and turned the tail shaft but no luck. I buttoned up the other side and waited for my helper to get home. Had her turn it while I mustered the strength of Zues and voila! in she went…most of the way. 😳🤬

I walked around a bit and came back and for the heck of it gave it a solid tap! With my rubber mallet and she is in there like swimwear!

Thanks for all of your tips guys. 🤙💯

F081DFD6-DA0D-43F2-9A32-7D57C0ED7132.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom