Getting to work and "finishing"my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my Fj40 back in May of 2015 and have been working at a embarrassingly slow pace to get it as close to a daily driver as I can. After about two years of not having a clue what I was doing on it I finally think I'm starting to head in the right direction. I gave myself a deadline of until the end of Summer 2019 to get it to where I am happy with it, if it's not close by then I am going to reluctantly but seriously consider selling it.

I was hoping that starting a thread would give me the kick in the pants I need to start actually getting some serious work done to it. It is a 1975 Fj40 with the front axle, engine, transmission/transfercase from a 77 so I call it a 77 to avoid confusion, she's from Colorado and has typical rust in the rear sill, front fenders, and rocker panels, but overall she's solid. My plan up until my deadline is in order: Get her driving(she was up until a bad throwout bearing forced me to pull the Tranny and transferase) finish up any bodywork(new rear quarters, sill, and front fenders, as well as rocker panel patches) and last is paint(dune beige 416)

Any input or tips are welcomed, fair warning, I am not a very experienced mechanic so go easy if i do something stupid.

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

Looks like a very good start. Your knowledge will build quickly with every maintenance fix, repair, upgrade, etc. Same with your toolbox and spare parts stash. Don't ask me how I know. Bought my first Land Cruiser new in 1984 and still own it.

If it starts, runs and brakes, you can drive it. Welcome back?

Change all the fluids and adjust the rear brakes (assuming front disc). Drive it while working on it.

My 55 has been a work in progress for years but mechanically it is road worthy, so it gets driven and wheeled.

Like everybody else said, get it driving and enjoy. If you have the space, worry about the body work during the winter months. Get it running and enjoy it for the summer.

I spent way to many years (7) not driving mine during the resto and regret it a bit. This forum is great place for help. Keep us posted and we'll help out where we can.

Don't set an arbitrary deadline. You have a life, so drive your truck and restore it when you can, but keep driving it. I have been driving/restoring/rehabbing my '78 FJ40 since 1990. Lots of good memories with the truck. If you sell it, you will likely never buy another one like it.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! My dog's name is Scout and I am definitely gonna miss the pinstripes but i plan on recreating them as best I can after paint. This past weekend I worked on cleaning up the transfercase, and removing the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel. As well as cleaning up the parking brake housing. The previous owner mentioned a rear main seal leak and i do have a new one but does this look like the rear seal or the back of the oil pan gasket?

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

Do that rear main seal while you’re there, the hard work is already done.

Too bad I moved already, I’d be more than welcome to help you out some!

I’d say that’s coming from the back of the oil pan gasket.

Clean that area up real good and shoot some baby powder around it, start it up and look for the leak.

If you can safely start the engine.

I'll leave you alone on the original paint now.

I second that motion

I would consider keeping the original paint but there's a lot of body damage i need to correct and quite a bit of rust that doesn't show up from a distance in pics

I’d make sure to write your goal(s) down and look at them often. You’d be amazed at how effective that strategy can be. By summers end you will have learned so much about these land cruisers, my guess will be that you will not sell (running or not). Search, ask questions, make phone calls and read your FSM/Haynes. There are many supporting vendors on mud, and they will all steer you in the right direction. No one on this forum wants to see another FJ40 sitting, not running and worst of all rotting away.
Good luck.

I’d make sure to write your goal(s) down and look at them often. You’d be amazed at how effective that strategy can be. By summers end you will have learned so much about these land cruisers, my guess will be that you will not sell (running or not). Search, ask questions, make phone calls and read your FSM/Haynes. There are many supporting vendors on mud, and they will all steer you in the right direction. No one on this forum wants to see another FJ40 sitting, not running and worst of all rotting away.
Good luck.

Thanks for your advice, I fell in love with Fj's probably about 5 years ago and my interest turned into a full blown obsession, i can't think about letting my 40 sit for that long or selling it without cringing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom