Getting the pig ready for winter, I got needs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I having the front and rear bumpers repainted. Its been a while.
Got the trailer hitch, rear bumper and sides off. I need to put some metal in place of the bondo I used patching the pass. side behind the rear mudflap.
I had the bumpers dustless blasted where I could blast rust off for $250.
I see a need for a new resonator. Was wondering where the spitting sound was coming from in the exhaust system.
I need new plastic sides for the front bumper. Is there any such part anymore? Or do I start sanding those now?
Where is Onur? Help.

lc11111.JPG

lc22222.JPG

lc33333.JPG

Anybody?

Dispose of the resonator. Hardly notice the sound difference.

Onur is on vacation until next week.

You could just paint the bumper ends, that's what I did and they turned out fine. I had trouble getting mine off as the hardware was rusty and it just spun in the plastic end caps. I just decided that I really didn't care that much and just painted the whole bumper with them in place.

P1000316.JPG

Dispose of the resonator. Hardly notice the sound difference.

only difference I found when getting rid of the resonator was a more pronounced whistle...no biggie...

the exhaust is one area where aftermarket makes sense, like bosal. i bet the OEM rear section with resonator is like $2000 and the aftermarket one is probably around $50. ;)

Pretty much everything on the exhaust is oem. I replaced the y pipe a couple years ago. I find the non oem parts to be more of a PITA and they need to be replaced more often. I've had this truck a long time and plan to keep it for a while longer.

I having the front and rear bumpers repainted. Its been a while.
Got the trailer hitch, rear bumper and sides off. I need to put some metal in place of the bondo I used patching the pass. side behind the rear mudflap.
I had the bumpers dustless blasted where I could blast rust off for $250.
I see a need for a new resonator. Was wondering where the spitting sound was coming from in the exhaust system.
I need new plastic sides for the front bumper. Is there any such part anymore? Or do I start sanding those now?
Where is Onur? Help.

View attachment 1341491

View attachment 1341492

View attachment 1341493
I just cut my Resonator off just out side the frame. Looks way cleaner did not sound any louder. just had to add a hanger on the in side of the feame

Onur is on vacation until next week.

You could just paint the bumper ends, that's what I did and they turned out fine. I had trouble getting mine off as the hardware was rusty and it just spun in the plastic end caps. I just decided that I really didn't care that much and just painted the whole bumper with them in place.

View attachment 1341617
Merle,
What color and type of paint did you use? It looks great!

Merle,
What color and type of paint did you use? It looks great!

Thanks!

It was just Rustoleum Satin Black. I used it on the steel part of the rear bumper too, and I think it looks good enough. They were both kinda rusty and the front had a billion rock chips in it from gravel roads. I did take them down to bare metal with a stripping pad(might be my new favorite tool:)) on one of my angle grinders. Then I hit them with the Rustoleum Rust Reformer(not sure if that stuff works, but why not use it?) and then with Rusty Metal Primer and then with the top coat. I did take the front off though, which made things easier. I couldn't get the back apart because the hitch is rusted into place, so I did the best I could to get it cleaned up. I think it will last a few years and maybe longer.

I also had to get creative with the front bumper chrome piece as all of the clips broke when I pulled it off. I ended up taking the clips and drilling holes in them and using a counter sink to make it so that tapered head stainless steel screws would sit flush so I could slide the clips back in. All I had to do then was line up the holes and put a nut on each one. Worked better than the clips and only cost a couple bucks.

Here is a shot of the rear.

P1000319.JPG

Last edited:
So Is there a new set of plastic bumper pieces available?

Thanks!

It was just Rustoleum Satin Black. I used it on the steel part of the rear bumper too, and I think it looks good enough. They were both kinda rusty and the front had a billion rock chips in it from gravel roads. I did take them down to bare metal with a stripping pad(might be my new favorite tool:)) on one of my angle grinders. Then I hit them with the Rustoleum Rust Reformer(not sure if that stuff works, but why not use it?) and then with Rusty Metal Primer and then with the top coat. I did take the front off though, which made things easier. I couldn't get the back apart because the hitch is rusted into place, so I did the best I could to get it cleaned up. I think it will last a few years and maybe longer.

I also had to get creative with the front bumper chrome piece as all of the clips broke when I pulled it off. I ended up taking the clips and drilling holes in them and using a counter sink to make it so that tapered head stainless steel screws would sit flush so I could slide the clips back in. All I had to do then was line up the holes and put a nut on each one. Worked better than the clips and only cost a couple bucks.

Here is a shot of the rear.

View attachment 1341851

I've been sanding and repainting my rear bumper and hitch every 4 months or so.
It just doesn't keep for long. I'm thinking I can get a few years doing it this way...again.

You could ask arcteryx. He probably has a nice set of used ones.

I got used ones. he he.
I need to get the spider webbing in the paint to go away.
I think I'll use some kind of liquid paint remover for plastic.

I just cut my Resonator off just out side the frame. Looks way cleaner did not sound any louder. just had to add a hanger on the in side of the feame

Any new exhaust fumes?

I got used ones. he he.
I need to get the spider webbing in the paint to go away.
I think I'll use some kind of liquid paint remover for plastic.
I would just sand them with 150 grit on a random orbit sander and then repaint the whole thing. If you want the stock paint color, I am sure you can get the code and have a can made up at a auto body supply store.

I would just sand them with 150 grit on a random orbit sander and then repaint the whole thing. If you want the stock paint color, I am sure you can get the code and have a can made up at a auto body supply store.
The truck is sitting at a body shop right now. I'm going to sand them myself so
Excellent advice. I'll see what these guys give to use. I hope it's a power tool:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom