getting started...couple questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So on saturdaymy uncle my friend kane and i are goin to move my 1964 cruiser to his garage and then i will start takin crap apart... i got a couple of easy questions....

What will it require to move the stick shift to the floor? and how hard is it?

I think we are gonna stop by the junk yard and see if i can get some cheap seats for the cruiser .... and ideas of anything else i should look for while im there?

What are some other vehicles that i could get parts from? i know chevy pickups, but what year ect...

On the cruiser when i push the clutch it feels as if im pushing nuthing, the cluch just goes straight to the floor with no effort. any ideas of whats going on with it?

thanks guys... heres some pics incase u forgot what the cruiser looks like...

P.S its a 64 (sorry)

Blake

That 40 is a beauty! Why don't you restore her?

Chevy parts? :frown:

Move shifter to floor? :frown:

Just my opnion... Take it FWIW.

You need the top cover for the tranny with the floor shift. It's a simple bolt on once you have the floorboard taken care of. How long has the rig been sitting? I'd be willing to bet your clutch system has no working seals, therefore no fluid. Sounds like a complete rebuild of the system is needed.

Either you are out of clutch fluid which is probably true but your probably going to need to replace the clutch master and slave. But it could be just fluid. Fill it up and look and see if any fluid is squirting out.

You coud pick up a saginaw steering box and pump for a future mod. Allog with a mintruck front axle.

Get her running first then make your parts list. And for god sake don't make it look good before you get it running good. A sppraycan rust preventative will stop the rust from growing until you get it running well.

But on-the-tree is soooo coool. I saw it on Jikser's cruiser.

cruiserparts.net has a $150 kit fot the shifter. i would stay stock and invest hte money in something more useful like the clutch, brakes, tires, ect.

looks like it would be easy to restore (cant see a lot of rust).

good luck

Tranny - do what you want. The column shifter is cool, but can get sloppy and you'll have to get rid of it if/when you upgrade the steering column (assuming you want to modify, not restore). The parts (shifter cane, top cover, gasket) can be had cheaper - I think I paid $40 off ebay. Keep your eye out and post up a wanted ad in the classified section.

Clutch - If you want it to work well and work for a while, now would be a good time to upgrade the whole system. You could try rebuilding the master and slave, but results are hit-and-miss and finding rebuild kits for the older large-bore stuff is tough IIRC. When I bought my 64, somebody had replaced the slave with a later (smaller bore) one for lack of parts availability which made for an extremely hard pedal. I went the rebuild route for a while due to lack of funds, but recently replaced the whole setup with the upgrade kit from CCOT. I love it and if I had just done it that way to begin with, I would have save a bunch of time and money spent rebuilding.

Six-fo's are the coolest :grinpimp:

McClaskey What will it require to move the stick shift to the floor? and how hard is it? What are some other vehicles that i could get parts from? i know chevy pickups said:
Before you concern yourself too much with moving things, I would make sure the thing will run, otherwise, you are really a long way off from worring about moving the stick to the floor, or what is going on with the hyrdaulics with the clutch...which are probably empty, seals rotted and damaged, and rust in the bores, and going to need to be replaced.

Make it run, then worry about the other stuff...no need to install seats into something you cannot operate, unless you want to sit in it and make engine noises and pretend....and if that is the case, a five gallon bucket will work too... ;)

Not too sure about your chevy truck parts question, as other than the trans in some, there are not a whole lot that are going to "bolt on" and transfer accross....

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom