Getting rid of the 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

would never sell due to that reason. It never has gotten good mileage and Im ok with that. We just got 2 feet of snow and I got around like a champ. Hows that Honda doing in the snow?????

would never sell due to that reason. It never has gotten good mileage and Im ok with that. We just got 2 feet of snow and I got around like a champ. Hows that Honda doing in the snow?????

I am in Florida, so snow isn't a factor in any decision.

What are you going to ask for it? Also, how many miles are on it?

160k miles. I am going to put it on craigslist here in Florida for 5.5k obo and see if I get any bites. I will take 4k for it, maybe even 3.5k. There are a lot of rednecks here in the Florida Panhandle that think a lifted truck with big tires doubles the value. They don't even care what it is as long as it has a lift and tires.

Last edited:
IMG00077.jpg

That's a nice looking FJ80. I welcome you to trade with my 2010 Jetta TDI wagon manual, but you'd have to patch something like $21k. :)

Good luck with it!

Where in the panhandle? I'm over on the coast of MS and will be passing through on the 17th from Orlando. I that an ARB winch bumper? Willing to part it?

I totally understand where you're coming from. I don't think an 80 is the best commuter vehicle. I just bought mine with the plan to use it only on evenings and weekends. Meanwhile I'm debating whether to hang on to my 4runner or sell it for something smaller. Like the 80, it is very safe, is unstoppable in snow, and is fun to drive, but is also tons faster, handles better, and gets better gas mileage than the 80. Still, commuting to work in a big V8 SUV does nothing for our dependence on foreign oil or the impact on the environment. I'm no greenie, but I'd prefer to leave the earth as nice as possible for my sons and reduce the chance they'll have to fight in some middle east war. But I don't want to get squashed like grape in some little econobox either. Tough decision...

I am in pensacola, just about 30 minutes from the alabama border. That is a non winch bumper, and I don't want to part it out. I figure I could get more for it the way it sits.

Where in the panhandle? I'm over on the coast of MS and will be passing through on the 17th from Orlando. I that an ARB winch bumper? Willing to part it?

$4 a gallon is not neccessarily a bad thing. I would think that unemployment rates and investments accounts will be in much better shape if there is enough demand for oil to push it that high! I hope that you can keep the 80, but as a DD, even $3/gallon is not pretty. Everyone has a tipping point. For a DD, I would imagine that it is much lower that a weekend warrior. Good luck with whichever direction you head!

Smitty

Cost to drive 10,000 miles per year in a 10 mpg vehicle is $4000 at ($4.00/gal)
Cost to drive 10,000 miles per year in a 20 mpg vehicle is $2000 at ($4.00/gal)

You can blow the $2k per year pretty quick on depreciation, car payments, sales tax (if applicable).

One of the suggestions is to purchase an inexpensive commuter car and keep the 80. I'd tend to agree with that.

Everyone seems to justify purchasing a different vehicle because of MPG. I think that's the smoke and mirror excuse for I want a newer or different car. It's the hidden (unmentioned) fees of changing vehicles which burns up just about as much $ as the difference in MPG. I did buy a car to beat up in a demo derby for $50.00 once. It ran, but to get into the derby, i had to buy a new battery, used snow tires, mod the car, etc... it never made it to the derby, it was totaled out jumping terraces on the farm. It did last 3 weekends though before the motor fell out of the bottom.

I hate cars so... and $4 gas? when?

It seems like every year the doom and gloom media predicts $4 even $5 just to keep everyone scared and watching the news. There predictions never happen, and in turn I have lost interest in the news and there predictions.

I also agree that many times if you take the time to ad the costs of switching to a better mpg car you might find you are not saving much. If all you could possibly save was $1000 a year to drive an uncomfortable compact car, wouldn't you think it would be worth something just to have a vehicle you love and can be proud of for an extra $83 a month?

I sold my Dodge Ram Hemi truck last spring because I wanted better gas mileage. I loved that truck. I bought a Subaru Outback for the duration of the summer. Good gas mileage, Nice "car", but I hate "cars". I like real 4x4s. Real 4x4s get lousy gas mileage, but the value is in pride of ownership for me.

For the record I paid 8500 for the subaru plus $500 in tax. Drove it 5 months and 5000 miles. Sold it for $7850 after ebay fees. Cost me $1250. I saved about $300-$400 in gas.

All in all it cost me about $900, but now I am back in my first love. Landcruiser...

I wouldn't begin to tell you what is right for you. Just my .02.

my mpg solution - $1000 for a motorcycle. First a ZL600 (40-45mpg) then traded for a Ninja 250 to teach wife to ride - it gets round 60 mpg. I rode daily for two years, even through winter as long as there was no ice. Kept LC mileage down to 1-2K a year. Then had to start doing more kiddy transport and started driving LC more.

For gas savings, a smaller bike will far out do even the hybrids.

I sent a pm. I am very interested in this truck.

heres some advice. sell your gasser, move to canada, buy a diesel 80 ;) Im getting 20mpg at $3.499 a gallon.

Glad your getting interest. Feel free to put a for sale post in wanted if you want to work selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom