Getting rid of HDCRUISER.ORG website (1 Viewer)

Should we delete the HDCruisers.org website?

• Yes. let's get rid of it.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, let's keep it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, let's get rid of the annual cost and find a free host

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just talked to the guy that did the web page for our company. Since there is already a page, it make it easy for him. He can make all the links we need/want, update the current .org site and more. In my years of starting our company's website, he has be awsome. Depending on Dave, if we can keep the .org or go with Mike's .com. Either way, who has copyrights to HTML? I know there is more, so that is the reason I hired this guy. For a buck and a half a year he can revamp the HDcruisers.(org., com., net etc.) provide a server, and update the website. Any thoughts on this aproach?

I just talked to the guy that did the web page for our company. Since there is already a page, it make it easy for him. He can make all the links we need/want, update the current .org site and more. In my years of starting our company's website, he has be awsome. Depending on Dave, if we can keep the .org or go with Mike's .com. Either way, who has copyrights to HTML? I know there is more, so that is the reason I hired this guy. For a buck and a half a year he can revamp the HDcruisers.(org., com., net etc.) provide a server, and update the website. Any thoughts on this aproach?

by a buck and a half, do you mean $150? I believe the point of the discussion was about cutting that expense out of the budget since nobody really finds us through the .org. now if you mean $1.50, then sounds like a smokin' deal to me.

I have a server, HDC is welcome to use it at no charge. Whoever is the webmaster will have to learn SSH and command line. I have no gui interface. Linux command line only. My server is in San Fransisco right on the main trunck line with AT&T etc. I also build websites. I recommend routing the whichever domain name you want to the MUD page since not much happens on the regular website.

by a buck and a half, do you mean $150? I believe the point of the discussion was about cutting that expense out of the budget since nobody really finds us through the .org. now if you mean $1.50, then sounds like a smokin' deal to me.

$1.50 AND a case of Keystone. :D

Shawn, I am sure you know what I meant. I was reading the qoutes Jon posted and figured that we can keep the site at at cheaper cost. If Andrew has a server for the website, that cut that cost in half.

Shawn, I am sure you know what I meant. I was reading the qoutes Jon posted and figured that we can keep the site at at cheaper cost. If Andrew has a server for the website, that cut that cost in half.

actually I wasn't too sure, honestly. I assumed $150. and I wasn't trying to knock your suggestion, just adding to the discussion. :cheers:

Digging this up from the grave. As some of you know the decision was to keep the website, with very limited content, but point the website to our little slice of MUD. Long story sort, it's done. So get your butts over there and see if it's what a consensus of the group wants. www.hdcruisers.org.

I've started working on the links page getting rid of dead ends. Key word … started. Do we find this page useful? Would folks that find us find this page useful? Did you even know it existed? Should it exist? If we want to keep it, then I need help getting it updated. Geez, lots of companies have come and gone. If we find the page useful, then I would like to add I've added a section for Camping/Overlanding.

So, get over there, and let's discuss.

Last edited:
Jon - I think the webpage looks good as is. I would suggest keeping the links page as is, but just adding a disclaimer that links should be used at the owner's own risk, and that the links or the companies listed may no longer exist.

You or someone could spend a lot of time and effort to make sure that everything works and is current on that links page, but it will start being out of date again the very next day. I am just not sure it's worth the constant level of effort to keep it current, but probably a majority of the links still work, so it would be a shame to get rid of it altogether.

Thanks for your work on this!

I would suggest adding a link to the FB page, with a disclaimer that the MUD forum is more active and useful.

Most folks that use FB have experience with a closed group. All they have to do is ask to join the group and answer a few questions.

If you guys could put a link up for my business, that would be much appreciated.... Though the only person from HDC that does business with me is Ron. :thankyouforyoursupport:

www.landcruiserpartsandconsulting.com

Onur - thanks for sharing the info about your business. I am sure you will be hearing from me at some point. From time to time, I have wondered about how and where you were operating your business, but didn't really know how to reach you. Glad to know that you are up and running! Evan

Onur.,
I second Evan's note about your business. I did not know about it, as I am fairly new to Land Cruisers, in general. I know I will have questions regarding the care and feeding of my 1996 80 series. When reading various threads on MUD, your comments have always been helpful.
Your site is now marked for future use. Thanks.

Regarding the HDC website, I will defer to the long term members regarding any alteration in its setup. I am glad to be with this group, but we do not use FB, so the MUD site and meetings will be my primary connections to HDC/NM.

If you guys could put a link up for my business, that would be much appreciated.... Though the only person from HDC that does business with me is Ron. :thankyouforyoursupport:

I was tempted to call it "Beno's Sand, Gravel, and JiffyLube: Woodstock, New York." But, alas, I decided to be kind, and professional to the Shaman's Apprentice.

Last edited:
Regarding the HDC website, I will defer to the long term members regarding any alteration in its setup. I am glad to be with this group, but we do not use FB, so the MUD site and meetings will be my primary connections to HDC/NM.

The Facebook site was created as a way to get the attention of potential members that might find it on FB. The MUD forum is still where all official business happens. There is a link on the FB "About" page to send folks here.

@beno Speaking of giving you business, do you know why I can't send you a message on MUD? Is that intentional or I'm just incompetent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom