Getting rid of HDCRUISER.ORG website (1 Viewer)

Should we delete the HDCruisers.org website?

• Yes. let's get rid of it.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, let's keep it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, let's get rid of the annual cost and find a free host

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
The topic of getting rid of our website was discussed at the last mtg in order to save some money. I can't recall who but someone stated they have a server we can use for free if we still wanted to continue the website.

The reasons for website deletion were:

- content is outdated
- we don't have anyone who is a website guru who wants to tackle this task on a regular basis
- save the annual fee
- If we do delete the site, perhaps we should have an automatic redirect to this site: NM- High Desert Cruisers

Please vote on the poll so that we have an idea what the club is thinking/wanting. Poll will close in 20 days.

Thanks.

If we do delete the site, perhaps we should have an automatic redirect to this site: NM- High Desert Cruisers

I voted to go with a free host. For now, we would just revise the home page to have a link that redirects here and we would have a sticky that gives some of the basic HDC information.

The web site has a few documents that could be added to the "HDC Info" sticky post (e.g. membership form.) We should also include e-mail and phone contact information in case anyone wants to talk to a warm body or send a direct e-mail to one of the club members. I know that Jon and Shawn get an occasional e-mail regarding rigs for sale and Cruiserheads coming through town and things like that.

The reason for suggesting that we keep a web site stub on a free host is because things change as we know from history (TLCA email list ---> Yahoo ---> Web site ---> IH8MUD forum.) The stub gives us flexibility for the future.

I believe Dave Aley "owns" the hdcruisers.org domain name which means he is paying a small fee ($10/yr ?? ) to have that name registered to him. For those that don't know the history, Dave was a Cruiserhead and club president 12 years ago. Dave has not been an active member for well over 11 years. The club would still need to keep that registration if we do a stub. Maybe Jon can tell us if we are reimbursing Dave for that annual cost.

FWIW, we have access to the domain name hdcruisers.com, so if there is an issue with the .org name we have a plan-B.

-Mike-

Yes, we do reimburse Dave for the domain name. I think I sent him about $30 last year and he was going to look into a less expensive alternate. The domain name is one of two parts to the website.

The second is the server space which cost us about $200/yr. Don't quote me on the amount since it's off my sleeve. That detail is taken care of by Ron L, which is what has prompted this discussion. That bill is due.

the discussion at the meeting showed that most every person finding the club did so through mud. almost none through the .org web site. several new people were at the meeting and all stated that is how they found us too.

so I am also for a auto forward link from .org to this HDC board and dropping the .org site.

so I am also for a auto forward link from .org to this HDC board and dropping the .org site.

Unfortunately, this is not possible without coordinating with Dave who is the owner of the domain name.

If Dave keeps the domain name then we need to pay him annually and ask him to set up the auto-forward.

If Dave gives us the domain name then we can move it to GoDaddy or a competitor for about $10 per year and then we could control the auto-forward.

If we just want to stop using the domain and don't want to do either of the above options then Dave can do whatever he wants with the domain... maybe turn hdcruisers-dot-org into a gay p0rn site. :D

-Mike-

I found the club through the website. If you type "Albuquerque Land Cruiser Club" into Google, MUD is the 9th hit, which means most won't find it. I say either get Dave to let us have/buy the domain name or go with the one that is available. Then have a single page that provides basic data and a link to our MUD forum. Get it hosted on something cheap.

Id wouldnt mind a re-direct to mud but to pay 200 a year for the website seems to be insane to me.
We have some info on the traffic to the site that we can discuss at the meeting if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Daisy

I say transfer to a lowcost alternative like godaddy.com and park the site, with a basic page saying go to mud. Setting it up to automatically land here not only requires Dave, but also requires Woody's approval, because basically he would be hosting a new domain.

Any idea how much godaddy charges to host? I see they have something called an "instant page" that we might be able to use to redirect over to here.

I don't think there is any reason to drop the *.org. We can transfer over to godaddy.

Ok, here's another thought: www.hdcruiser.com and www.hdcruiser.net are available.

I grabbed hdcruisers.com about 5 years ago for the club but it doesn't have a home page or anything. It was moved to GoDaddy a couple of years ago.

HDCRUISERS.COM

If someone wants to build a redirect page then we can test everything out using the above domain, swap .org to GoDaddy, and use the same redirect page for both domain names. We can also do that with 1 IP address which should be cheaper.

-Mike-

Last edited:
I suggest we keep *.org and move it to godaddy.

I use Beachcomber for my art site...cheaper than godaddy. but no hot exercise chick ads:eek:

CPanel Hosting Reseller Services with Softaculous, RVSkin, RVSite Builder on Litespeed Servers from Beachcomber

I was gearing up to work on a new and updated site...took a few test pics for a splash page in puerco a few weeks ago. Other than that no headway. I'd like to see it used more but still have low maintenance so it is easy to care for.

Torn between using flash and just going with HTML5, know more about flash but it's about to become obsolete.

I've had two of the low cost hosting sites go out of business and just dump me. Do you know anything about Beachcomer that gives you a warm and fuzzy?

-Mike-

Beowulf said:
I've had two of the low cost hosting sites go out of business and just dump me. Do you know anything about Beachcomer that gives you a warm and fuzzy?

-Mike-

Well I've used them for 5 years and my dad has had several sites with them for 10 years

Well I've used them for 5 years and my dad has had several sites with them for 10 years

That sounds good to me. Their home page looks good and their pricing is great.

-Mike-

It seems like moving it to a cheap/free host and having a very simple single page with a redirect to the MUD forum is the most popular opinion.

I'd say keep .org (as long as Dave will let it go) and move it to a cheap site, then let someone interested in it take it over and build it as they wish - with a link to Mud on the front page, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom