Getting real about weight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While keeping a rig light has numerous benefits, the 200 platform can handle an awful lot of weight. With that said, I'm also trying to build a "lightweight" but fully capable 200 so I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Armored ones weigh in at right around 10k lbs and they hold up well enough to some of the roughest terrain and most abusive drivers out there.
Attached are what some of them run for suspensions.
20191106_132844.jpg

I found the rear coilover particularly interesting.
20191106_132929.jpg

Well that adds up quickly!!!! Just did some quick math and without me in the 200 I'm 322# over. The 200 has been outfitted with 400# constant load rear springs, doesn't exactly help the weight on the front axle from bumper, winch and secondary battery. Hmmmm, what to do? I'm mindful that only when the 40 gallon LRA tank is full will these challenges be an issue. My homemade trailer is balanced 52/48 and heavy items such as tools are in the trailer. Apparently my 45 years are showing? So many landcruisers in my life and I always peaked at the overloads and if I had a little clearance I was good. Can someone say sketchy? I look back on my travels and the fact that I'm concerned now when I have a vehicle that is so much safer than all the other cruisers is shocking to me. Beef jerky, water, can of beans and a couple bucks in my pocket and I was off. I never worried about getting home, ever. SMH! Safe travels all, most of us would travel better with a few pounds off our wasteline and yet we go all the same.

thumbnail_IMG_4434.jpg

With all these perspectives and applications of weight, I’m curious what it yields in terms of MPG. What’s the loss in the 200 Series from stock (which is bad MPG), when you’re at a full build with bumpers, drawers, etc?

In my 4Runner, it went from about 17mpg stock to 13-14mpg at full expedition weight.

With all these perspectives and applications of weight, I’m curious what it yields in terms of MPG. What’s the loss in the 200 Series from stock (which is bad MPG), when you’re at a full build with bumpers, drawers, etc?

In my 4Runner, it went from about 17mpg stock to 13-14mpg at full expedition weight.

I'd guess from around 19-20 mpg stock to 10-12 mpg built out.

You have a 200 that got 20mpg? Please tell us more about this unicorn!

I've gotten 19mpg numerous times. Highway driving at 100kph (10kph over the limit) on cruise control. I've seen posts here where folks have stated they get even better economy.

You have a 200 that got 20mpg? Please tell us more about this unicorn!
Get on a flat highway and drive 55 mph. You should get pretty close to 20 mpg. Start speeding up, though, and your mileage will tank quickly.

If you have skinnys close to stock size you can get 23mpg cruising 55-65. I did, my street tires get me 18-19mpg on road trips travelling around 75-80mph

I got consistent 13-15 around town and 15+ when traveling mostly flat highway when I was in Texas and stock. Now I get 10-12 pretty much all the time in the PNW with 275/75/18 AT KO2, bumper and winch only. Haven’t even installed the lift yet and honestly I doubt it’ll make much difference. The biggest hit I’ve seen was just tires. That immediately dropped it by 2+ mpg. The giant bumper is effectively a wind dam and kills what tiny bit of aerodynamics the LC has to begin with. But yeah, anecdotally, I’d say it’s the tires and flat areas on the front of the vehicle that kill MPG more than lift and weight (within reason of course). I’ll see what the lift does once I finally get off my ass and install it - been sitting in storage since beginning of summer. I keep choosing to take the cruiser out for weekend excursions instead of garage time.

Living in the northwest, these flat areas you speak of do not exist. 🙂 I get about 12-13mpg around town driving like a grandpa.

I know man - I feel like I’m always driving uphill out here. And I wouldn’t trade it for anything - definitely my fav part of the country.

Weekend adventures in TX were mostly highway en route to something. But out here, I’m on the trail and living the dream in an hour or so.

I know man - I feel like I’m always driving uphill out here. And I wouldn’t trade it for anything - definitely my fav part of the country.

Weekend adventures in TX were mostly highway en route to something. But out here, I’m on the trail and living the dream in an hour or so.

Yep. I’m allergic to flat areas, generally speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom